Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  fast-lookup price guide (mtgprice.com)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   fast-lookup price guide (mtgprice.com)
deathspiral
posted November 10, 2011 05:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for deathspiral Click Here to Email deathspiral Send a private message to deathspiral Click to send deathspiral an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I wrote a fairly simple price guide website with historical price tracking and volume information. It's similar to MOTL's price lookup but it's designed to be used if you very quickly need card information or price. It scans eBay and several of the larger stores.

I'd be interested in feedback before making it live for a wider audience. Especially on wrong/ missing prices. Is this something any of you would have use for?

MTG Price is the main homepage and Magic: the Gathering Prices is the list of all sets covered.

This is _not_ designed as a MOTL replacement or anything, just as a fast lookup tool.

Mr.C
posted November 10, 2011 08:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Tarmogoyf's fair trade price is listed as 57.99 becuase it's OOS at MtgMintCard at that price.

I'll take all $57.99 Goyfs you have btw.

#2 in posts from British Columbia!

Got any Portuguese Foils? Post on my list or email me at valter.cid@gmail.com !

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mr.C on November 10, 2011]

caquaa
posted November 10, 2011 09:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
not sure how it actually pulls its data. I just choose a random card like geist of saint traft. It said the lowest price on ebay was 15.11 and the "fair trade price" was 15.11. I clicked the buy now button and it searched ebay, I then opened the buy it now tab and price sorted and the lowest was 11.99 (free shipping) and there seemed to be plenty in the ~$14 shipped range. Its not a huge variation, but does seem inaccurate.

Beyond that, who the heck is mtgmintcard? Never heard of them. Doubt I'd use them for anything.

coasterdude84
posted November 11, 2011 06:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
Beyond that, who the heck is mtgmintcard? Never heard of them. Doubt I'd use them for anything.

They sell a lot on ebay. I've used them a few times, they seem ok.

deathspiral
posted November 11, 2011 06:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for deathspiral Click Here to Email deathspiral Send a private message to deathspiral Click to send deathspiral an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks to both of you. I'm going to rework the site to discount cards that are out of stock to avoid the Tarmogoyf issue.

mtgmintcard seemed to be the biggest singles seller on ebay which is why I added them but some of their prices are kind of low (especially on things that prove to be out of stock when you search for them).

The ebay issue was probably down to the time the scan was run. The site searches ebay for buy it now prices then factors in shipping with an assumption that most stores charge around $1.50. To avoid this, I'm just going to have the site do more regular scans.

The "Fair Trade Price" discount outliers, especially from ebay that are roughly 25% lower than everyone else - I think I'll add something similar for some of the mtgmintcard prices or (probably better) I'll just make sure the product is in stock or ignore the price (as mentioned above).

Thanks again for the help. It would be easy to add MOTL prices to the list as well - do you think there is any use for that?

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League