Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  water damaged cards vs insurance/fail?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   water damaged cards vs insurance/fail?
MagixDK
posted November 09, 2011 01:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

Sooo i was goin to play legacy today... just prior to leaving I checked my deck, and much to my dismay, half the cards inside the deckbox where ruined by water.

in a strange way too. i had 2 cards unsleeved, that i traded for just before goin home last time (alpha ley druid+some zombie) they were fine - only half the sleeved cards were ruined.

i figure someone spilled water on my deck when i didnt look, after my last match - and didnt tell me.

half of lands.dec flooded, in a bad way.

So im thinking wtf will my insurance company say? My cards are all protected in case of theft, and in case of water damage -if like a pibe bursts.

But this isnt one of those cases.

What do you think, insurance covers it?

TimeBeing
posted November 09, 2011 03:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
it should if they will cover it, i've asked specifically to any my insurance does not cover my magic cards or other collectibles.

slurpee
posted November 09, 2011 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
not covered, You could try for vandalism as your best bet.

Would require you to file a police report against someone and you would have a deductible as well. Then you could be surcharged for the claim.

Good luck, but I can't see any company paying on this, but then again thats the US, not Denmark.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by slurpee on November 09, 2011]

PortlisX
posted November 09, 2011 04:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Pipe didn't burst. They weren't stolen. You have no chance at a successful claim.

Irate
posted November 09, 2011 04:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Portislix that pretty presumptuous without looking at the policy wording that covers these items.

If you have accidental damage cover then yes the policy will respond and cover your claim, also if you have these cards covered as a specified item outside of the home this would be the case too.

You can always 'fluff up' the circumstances behind the claim if you have but it's probably not a good idea.

I can provide you some more advice if you provide the policy wording/ Prodcut disclosure statement that your cards are insured under.

I do this for a living :-)

davef139
posted November 09, 2011 06:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for davef139 Click Here to Email davef139 Send a private message to davef139 Click to send davef139 an Instant MessageVisit davef139's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Do you have a seperate policy for the cards?

XtReMeOnE3
posted November 09, 2011 07:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for XtReMeOnE3 Click Here to Email XtReMeOnE3 Send a private message to XtReMeOnE3 Click to send XtReMeOnE3 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View XtReMeOnE3's Have/Want ListView XtReMeOnE3's Have/Want List
You'd have to think about what your deductible is and whether or not the cards are worth claiming. I think it would be kind of tough for the insurance company to cover the claim considering you have no idea how the cards got damaged.

MagixDK
posted November 09, 2011 10:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
my deductable is cero, if the cards got stolen (happened once)

my collection is mentioned in my insurance specifically - but cant find the darn paper, for quoting the wording.

im not sure if i have "accidental damage) -this would cover stuff like someone scracthing my bicycle?

Irate
posted November 09, 2011 10:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not really no, It would cover accidental loss or damage to any item classified as contents (i'm assuming your cards are listed under a domestic home and contents policy),
superficial damage that doesn't really cause any loss of functionality or value wouldn't be insured (as there is no demonstrable loss per se).

Then again it's hard for me to say without looking at the policy wording.

You can always call your insurer and request another copy.

However since your cards are specifically listed, I think you may have a chance of claiming.

PortlisX
posted November 10, 2011 12:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PortlisX Click Here to Email PortlisX Send a private message to PortlisX Click to send PortlisX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irate:
Portislix that pretty presumptuous without looking at the policy wording that covers these items.

If you have accidental damage cover then yes the policy will respond and cover your claim, also if you have these cards covered as a specified item outside of the home this would be the case too.

You can always 'fluff up' the circumstances behind the claim if you have but it's probably not a good idea.

I can provide you some more advice if you provide the policy wording/ Prodcut disclosure statement that your cards are insured under.

I do this for a living :-)

No, it's really not.

Insurance companies don't run successfully by giving out free money without damned good proof of loss, and he doesn't even know how the damage occurred.

He would have to have documented proof of owning these ahead of time (we're talking pictures and videos as well as documented lists), documented value prior to what happened, he'd have to know EXACTLY HOW the damage was caused, be able to demonstrate an actual tangible loss of value, and of course have had a policy specifically to cover these in the first place.

Unless he has taken the initial steps of documentation, which is extremely unlikely, he's hosed right out of the gate. Beyond that, he'd be basically lying to his insurance company with any explanation other than "I don't know how the damage occurred". And if he doesn't even know how the damage happened, how are they going to know if it's covered? They aren't.

It sounds like these were damaged outside of the house as well, which also makes them exempt from most homeowner policies (even if specifically listed). He would likely need some sort of traveling insurance policy for a collection taken and damaged outside the home. Again, he could lie to the insurance company about it and claim they were damage in the home, but I wouldn't exactly recommend taking that course of action.

But I guess stuff in Denmark could work differently than here.

MagixDK
posted November 10, 2011 12:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Im pretty sure im screwed.

but as far the the insurance company knowing i own the cards and the insurance covering me outside of my home, i think so.

since when i lost a legacy goblin deck(stolen) they paid me without question. (this was like 2 yrs ago)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MagixDK on November 10, 2011]

Pringlesman
posted November 10, 2011 02:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pringlesman Click Here to Email Pringlesman Send a private message to Pringlesman Click to send Pringlesman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just curious, what did you lose?

MagixDK
posted November 10, 2011 02:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
3 snapcaster mages
2 mox diamond
1 the tabernacle at prendrell vale
1 show and tell
1 dark confidant
1 rishadan port
1 maze of ith
1 exploration
1 intuition
2 Emrakul

+some more lands cards i cant remember (@work now)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MagixDK on November 10, 2011]

Heresy19
posted November 10, 2011 04:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
Ask the store owner to show you the cameras until you see who spilled the water (it was prolly intentional if you ask me). Once you have him on video, tell him you have proof of the water spilling and that he will have to cover the damage or you will open a case against him.

We're talking about +/- 500$ here, it's not something to let go.

Edit:

If it wasn't intentional, think about it like a ''hit & run'' with cars. I'm pretty sure you can open a case for that when it's over a certain amount of $.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Heresy19 on November 10, 2011]

Timmyhill
posted November 10, 2011 04:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Timmyhill Click Here to Email Timmyhill Send a private message to Timmyhill Click to send Timmyhill an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Timmyhill's Have/Want ListView Timmyhill's Have/Want List
What I dont understand is how you let someone spill water on the deck...

I know accidents happen... but you can lessen the chance.

When I take my vintage deck out of the house. I put the deck box in a ziplock bag and then it goes into a plain card white card box. And the whole thing stays in my bag which is always on me even when I'm playing.

Finally I wont play anyone till all liquids are put on the floor or finished. I even use this rule when playing standard.

I guess I just dont know how some one can say they dont know what happened to thier deck specially when when they hit the $100+ mark.

gcowhsu
posted November 10, 2011 10:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gcowhsu Click Here to Email gcowhsu Click to send gcowhsu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gcowhsu's Trade Auction or SaleView gcowhsu's Trade Auction or Sale
I realize this is a game, but I took stock of my Team America deck and it's running $2000. You can't just leave that around you HAVE to keep it on you at all times. It just baffles me that people leave these things around to go to the bathroom or by a drink. Someone could easily just take a Goyf or Sea and you would never know until you took the deck apart.

With the average value of Legacy decks you could walk by and snag the top card, even if it was face down, and still have a good chance of getting something good.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by gcowhsu on November 10, 2011]

MTDetermine
posted November 10, 2011 03:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gcowhsu:

With the average value of Legacy decks you could walk by and snag the top card, even if it was face down, and still have a good chance of getting something good.

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Come to think of it, gcowhsu is right. The chance of getting a random basic land from a Legacy deck is probably around 10%, 20% (goblin) max. An average Legacy deck with blue splashed will have close to 50% of its cards in fetches, duals, FOW, goyfs + a few nice artifacts.......

Irate
posted November 10, 2011 04:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PortlisX:
No, it's really not.

Insurance companies don't run successfully by giving out free money without damned good proof of loss, and he doesn't even know how the damage occurred.

He would have to have documented proof of owning these ahead of time (we're talking pictures and videos as well as documented lists), documented value prior to what happened, he'd have to know EXACTLY HOW the damage was caused, be able to demonstrate an actual tangible loss of value, and of course have had a policy specifically to cover these in the first place.

Unless he has taken the initial steps of documentation, which is extremely unlikely, he's hosed right out of the gate. Beyond that, he'd be basically lying to his insurance company with any explanation other than "I don't know how the damage occurred". And if he doesn't even know how the damage happened, how are they going to know if it's covered? They aren't.

It sounds like these were damaged outside of the house as well, which also makes them exempt from most homeowner policies (even if specifically listed). He would likely need some sort of traveling insurance policy for a collection taken and damaged outside the home. Again, he could lie to the insurance company about it and claim they were damage in the home, but I wouldn't exactly recommend taking that course of action.

But I guess stuff in Denmark could work differently than here.

i'm enjoying this argument :-) If he still has the damaged cards then that is proof of loss.

You are overestimating the rigorousness of the Claims area of any Insurance company. Most claims with a reserve/estimate of loss less than $3000 get triaged into "rapid" assessment which means the claimant provides proof of loss, and a replacement cost (whether via quote or tax invoice for the replaced goods) and it's settled by a claims officer over the phone.

I'd still make a claim especially if you have a $0 excess.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League