Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Best Commander deck

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best Commander deck
DConNexus
posted October 25, 2011 11:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
I am looking to start EDH. Best starting point?

Teferi Planeswalker
posted October 25, 2011 11:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Teferi Planeswalker Click Here to Email Teferi Planeswalker Send a private message to Teferi Planeswalker Click to send Teferi Planeswalker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want ListView Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want List
Are you asking which pre-constructed Commander deck is the best? Or are you asking for a good Commander and a list of cards that play well together?

MasterWolf
posted October 25, 2011 11:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
Commander thread.

DConNexus
posted October 25, 2011 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
Both. And did not know there was a Commander thread. My bad.

magicplant1982
Banned
posted October 25, 2011 05:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for magicplant1982 Click Here to Email magicplant1982 Send a private message to magicplant1982 Click to send magicplant1982 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Best place to start is not MOTL. For ideas check the MTGSalvation threads, they are much easier to navigate and has a small community of knowledgeable player (with many people learning the format). MOTl is the best place to get your paper cards, but I suggest testing your decks on Cockatrice or Magic Work Station. Just make sure you distinguish between 1v1 and multi player. There are different ban lists, and the play style is much different. Obviously its easier to test 1v1 on-line, but if you find other folks willing to use multi player decks, you can kinda judge for yourself if cards would work at a 4 man table. I would start by looking through the stickied "general/commander" thread on Salvation, before building knowing what color, style, and picking a useful general will set the right tone for deck building. Also, there are helpful "top 35 edh card" lists you can get some ideas from. Some people build "good stuff" decks using mostly these cards, but the best decks are ones that have a game plan, and can be versatile and synergistic. Good Luck, and remember the ultimate goal is to have fun.

DConNexus
posted October 25, 2011 06:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
Thanks a ton magicplant. I forgot I had an account on there too. Going to check now. I thought about starting with either Heavenly Inferno or one of the G/B/U decks. Probably build slowly after that. Have a few ideas for Commanders. Thanks again.

simbayu
posted October 25, 2011 06:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for simbayu Send a private message to simbayu Click to send simbayu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Mimeoplasm is the best deck out of the box in my opinion. He's also a good general for multiplayer if you decide to tweak the deck.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by simbayu on October 25, 2011]

DConNexus
posted October 25, 2011 07:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DConNexus Click Here to Email DConNexus Send a private message to DConNexus Click to send DConNexus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DConNexus's Have/Want ListView DConNexus's Have/Want List
Think Im going to get Devour for Power. Skullbriar is awesome. What tweaks would you say are key?

magicplant1982
Banned
posted October 25, 2011 07:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for magicplant1982 Click Here to Email magicplant1982 Send a private message to magicplant1982 Click to send magicplant1982 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Quick reference, lots of info here:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=269517

7 deck lists for Skullbriar the walking grave, I didnt read any of them, but there are some good card choices Im sure. Also, look for a [Primer] for your general of choice, it will talk about match ups, strategy, in depth card choices ETC.

JackSpade
posted October 26, 2011 09:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JackSpade Click Here to Email JackSpade Send a private message to JackSpade Click to send JackSpade an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would recommend the Animar deck. Animar himself can be extremely powerful, one of my friends just put a deck together and most of the cards are very cheap. The only expensive things where lands. You play a lot of cheap creatures with come into play abilities and creatures that bounce things. Throw in an Earthcraft and its GG.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League