Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Newly released booster boxes.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Newly released booster boxes.
mm1983
posted September 26, 2011 08:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I was just curious where people buy their new booster boxes for each new set and how many they buy when a new set comes out. I want to see if most people buy from their local store or online.

A friend and I split the cost buy online through miniature market for $510 a case or $85 a box. I've been happy so far with how fast they ship.

Cyno
posted September 26, 2011 08:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Cyno Click Here to Email Cyno Send a private message to Cyno Click to send Cyno an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
local store, €83 per box

Only to draft though, buying singles overseas is much cheaper due to lower boxprices there.

MasterWolf
posted September 26, 2011 08:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
Usually I order online and get it for about $85-90 a box. This time I ordered from a LGS and am paying $97 per box but I get them release day with foils, so I'm not sure which is better.

psrex
posted September 26, 2011 10:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psrex's Have/Want ListView psrex's Have/Want List
I just asked about Innistrad at my LGS, and I was told that it is $115 for a box. I want to support them, but that might be past my threshold for markup versus what I can get online.

This is probably all academic, however, since the only full boxes that I've ever bought are Onslaught, Invasion, Mirage and Ice Age.

WestWycke
posted September 26, 2011 10:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WestWycke Click Here to Email WestWycke Send a private message to WestWycke Click to send WestWycke an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm the consolidator for my play group and order/pick-up all the boxes we order. We usually order around 15 boxes for a big set, 12 for a small set, and 6 for a core set.

I used to get mine from an online store for $515 a case, but they required I sign for the boxes. Since I was never home on Friday I usually had to make a special trip to the UPS center to pick them up on Saturday.

Now I buy them from my LGS for $86 each, and I can pick them up on my way home from work Friday. For those die-hards who want their card fix immediately, the LGS even opens at midnight Friday morning for about 2 hours to let people pick them up minutes after they become officially released.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by WestWycke on September 26, 2011]

WeedIan
posted September 26, 2011 11:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
Best i was going to get was $600 for a case or $100 per box.

The set was shown to be sub par so i decided to no longer buy a case.

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

dfitzg88
posted September 26, 2011 12:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
My team took advantage of the $90 preorder price for innistrad on coolstuff (before it went up to 95). With our 4 percent discount brought it to 86, but we then piled on random stuff (protectors, singles, draft sets) to get the free shipping on orders over 100.

We usually all go to the prerelease (4 of us), order 2 boxes, and just buy singles after that. Works out well for constructed play.

Unfortunately our local store charges insane prices so we pretty much have to buy online.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on September 26, 2011]

magic_man31
posted September 26, 2011 04:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for magic_man31 Click Here to Email magic_man31 Send a private message to magic_man31 Click to send magic_man31 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View magic_man31's Have/Want ListView magic_man31's Have/Want List
Pre-ordered my Japanese box at $97.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted September 26, 2011 05:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Retail wherever I've lived in Canada has usually been $130 a box. When I ran drafts during my undergrad, I'd just purchase them online for 80-90 and shipping.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

hilikuS
posted September 27, 2011 07:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
If you pre-order early enough on sealed products, collectandsave.com has pretty solid prices. I think I got Innistrad at $86 shipped, which seems good for online retailers. You gotta buy over $150 to get free shipping, but just grab a friend who wants one too and combine the order.

D'Shay
posted September 27, 2011 09:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
remember your local game store for preorders and "buy a box" promo

AlmostGrown
posted September 27, 2011 01:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AlmostGrown Click Here to Email AlmostGrown Send a private message to AlmostGrown Click to send AlmostGrown an Instant MessageVisit AlmostGrown's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AlmostGrown's Have/Want ListView AlmostGrown's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by D'Shay:

The only good BaB promos have been:
Day of Judgment
Celestial Colonnade
Birds of Paradise
Mirran Crusader
Surgical Extraction
Chandra's Phoenix (Arguable)

5.5 out of 9 isn't the greatest...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AlmostGrown on September 27, 2011]

Heresy19
posted September 27, 2011 02:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
quote:

OR, buy them online and with the 20-30$ you saved, get a playset of the buy a box promo with still money left :P

mm1983
posted September 28, 2011 04:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
It's $75 for free shipping at where I buy my boxes so buying 1 box will get you free shipping.

Zakman86
posted September 28, 2011 05:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
quote:

Paying $30 extra for a $4 promo isn't worth it.

zhangy04
posted September 29, 2011 03:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for zhangy04 Click Here to Email zhangy04 Send a private message to zhangy04 Click to send zhangy04 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I feel like you guys have it lucky.

The LGS in Australia charges around $160 per box, which depending on the AUD/USD exchange rate was twice what ppl were charging on the bay.

Anyone know a good online shop that ships to Australia?

rmac
posted September 29, 2011 02:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rmac Send a private message to rmac Click to send rmac an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I try to support my LGS whenever possible. I liked the bundles that DACARDWORLD and SCG have. But my patience of waiting possibly a week for it to be delivered isn't worth the savings. Having cards in hand day of release out way the savings from online order. I completely understand if you are on a budget, but if you need/want ASAP you have to expect to pay a premium. I would rather give that premium to the store I play at. If every customer or every other that does that, makes sure the doors stay open another week.

EternusIra
posted September 29, 2011 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for EternusIra Click Here to Email EternusIra Send a private message to EternusIra Click to send EternusIra an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I just picked up a case from my LGS for 600$, though it was foreign (Japanese). Normally does 550 for English though it's pretty nice since you get the product in hand asap.

jshields
posted October 07, 2011 10:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Send a private message to jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
for my first case, I got it at starcitygames.com and paid for most of my preorder with a Candelabra of Tawnos valued at $200.00 in trade-credit at their buy list (I bought the same candelabra from them about 1 year beforehand for $30.00 with shipping + tax ), this past june towards a future innistrad case. After buying my case and being ecstatic about the amounts of high quality & quantity of rares, I asked them if I could buy another. After leaving starcitygames.com's store, I traveled the back road toward the outskirts of Salem, where I also frequent a wholesaler store called Big-T's sports cards. He told me that the prices on INN boxes were skyrocketing and he had sold almost entirely out, having just 2 boxes left for $95 + tax each (a fair deal, considering SCG wanted over $100 per box). They were sold completely out, so I got my local store owner at FNG to hook me up with a case for about $500.00. we worked out a plan to help me, as the store dealer, to get reasonably priced magic cases, which is designed to be a very small profit on the initial case selling selling to me for him, but the large profit comes from selling the singles (especially the junk rares and commons!)

#2 in References in VA

Magic Dealer for
Fun-N-Games in Blacksburg, VA

Fun-N-Games Facebook Page - Be a Fan!
(Magic Coupons, events, & more!)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fun-N-Games-Hobby-Shoppe

Live in WV, Blacksburg or Roanoke, VA? Come to Fun-N-Games! www.efengie.com

WeedIan
posted October 07, 2011 10:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
I was going to get a case but couldn't find anyone with a price under 600 CND, which seems like alot when buying a case.

13th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

airwalk
posted October 08, 2011 01:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can get them for $108 in Canada, still too rich for my blood most of the time.

D'Shay
posted October 11, 2011 08:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for D'Shay Click Here to Email D'Shay Send a private message to D'Shay Click to send D'Shay an Instant MessageVisit D'Shay's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heresy19:

OR, buy them online and with the 20-30$ you saved, get a playset of the buy a box promo with still money left :P

Sorry guys, i was just promoting/supporting the brick and mortar stores to remind of those places who work hard to bring you a place

also the buy a box promo's seem to go for 10-20$ right out the gate, and level off at $5

yakusoku
posted October 11, 2011 09:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I try to support the local stores (Magic or otherwise), to a point.

I'd rather go to a little local Chinese restaurant over a chain like Panda Express, as long as the prices are reasonable. I still get my toploaders from a local retailer just down the street who sells primarily baseball cards. I recently bought some 400 and 1000 ct. cardboard boxes for cards from a guy who operates a store just down the street from a major shopping mall.

I get all my commons and uncommons from my LGS, and many of my rares.

However, if I can get a rare on MOTL for literally half the price, then my tournament fee for FNM may be the extent of my support this week.

I haven't bought a box of cards in quite awhile, but I've had a wide range of experiences, and the worst was an example of why I am wary of buying a box from a B+M store and others may be, too. Back when packs were still $2.99 each (yeah, yeah, this dates me...), I wanted to just pick up a bunch of packs to open of the new set. When the owner saw me grab a bunch, he asked if I'd be interested in buying a box. I asked him how much, and he said that all together, with the 8% state sales tax included, that would be $113. For those of you not doing the math in your head, 36 * $2.99 = $107.64 and 8% tax adds on another $8.61 to the total. He was basically offering me one free pack if I bought 35 packs at full retail price.

This is an extreme example, but shows why loyalty can only go so far when local stores barely make an effort.

Irate
posted October 12, 2011 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Irate Click Here to Email Irate Send a private message to Irate Click to send Irate an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zhangy04:
I feel like you guys have it lucky.

The LGS in Australia charges around $160 per box, which depending on the AUD/USD exchange rate was twice what ppl were charging on the bay.

Anyone know a good online shop that ships to Australia?

yeah it's pretty hard to find a decent deal online in AUS. I ordered a box of zendikar for $110 AUD online from popkultcha.com.au ( i think, will check when I get home tonight) but haven't received it yet so can't comment on how good their service is.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Irate on October 12, 2011]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League