Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Ebay timing questions

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Ebay timing questions
lickaneye
posted October 03, 2011 06:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for lickaneye Click Here to Email lickaneye Send a private message to lickaneye Click to send lickaneye an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have some smalls I can't move on here so I'm just going to sell them on ebay. It's beem a while since I've used ebay so I wanted to ask some basic timing questions.

In an auction style sale on Ebay, is there an optimal time to have the listing end for Magic cards? E.G. Sunday night at 7 p.m. or something? Also, does a 7-10 day listing seem the most optimal for exposure? Or is that not neccessarily the case? I'm not in a rush but I rather not have to wait ten days if I don't have to. From what I can remember, the serious bidders wait until the last few moments to bid anyway.

Bagbokk
posted October 03, 2011 06:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've found that the most auctions end on Friday and Sunday nights. That doesn't necessarily mean they're actually the most optimal times, considering there's a TON of auctions that end then. A lot of my cheap auction snipings happen on the weekends, while I rarely win stuff at cheap prices during the middle of the week.

7 days is the max you can go without incurring extra fees IIRC. I always use 7 days but I don't think it's really the case that it gets you more exposure. I'd probably list at 3 days if I were going to list more at auction format.

CubFan81
posted October 04, 2011 09:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
A couple things...

Avoid ending things on Friday as your target buyers might be at a FNM and they may not remember to bid on it before then.

I find that ending sometime around 6pm or 7pm on Sunday gives you a good window to get everyone. Obviously excluding overseas people that's still only ending around 10pm on the east coast so you're maximizing the number of people that are at home and able to try sniping it.

gcowhsu
posted October 04, 2011 10:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for gcowhsu Click Here to Email gcowhsu Click to send gcowhsu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gcowhsu's Trade Auction or SaleView gcowhsu's Trade Auction or Sale
I did a lot of research on this about 8 years ago. Thing probably changed since then. I read articles and testimony from a lot of sources and it seems the best time to end auctions was Sunday night 8-10.

Everyone is at home and the work/school week is just starting so people don't go out. Also Monday lunch time is a good time as well as it it the first break of the new week and apparently Ebay is a favorite for a lot of people.

I agree that Friday night is the worst because people go out and FNM happens. Usually between 8 and 5 are bad times and 6-8 are bad because of work time and then dinner. Saturday all day is bad too because people go out.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League