Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Figuring out card language

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Figuring out card language
Vegas10
posted October 14, 2011 09:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
I have alot of older cards that are of an asian foreign language, while some staples I can find examples of actual language others are more difficult, wondering if there was a good website for this, magicards.info isn't very only tells me what lanuages it is availible in, but only gives english pics. Thanks

farsk8dutch
posted October 14, 2011 10:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for farsk8dutch Click Here to Email farsk8dutch Send a private message to farsk8dutch Click to send farsk8dutch an Instant MessageVisit farsk8dutch's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View farsk8dutch's Have/Want ListView farsk8dutch's Have/Want List
For Asian cards I go by this:

Chinese
The period is a circle raised above the baseline of the text.

Japanese
The period is a circle, but it's at the baseline of the text, like in English.

Korean
The period is just a dot. It's the only of the three to put spaces between words.

Other than that I find that Spanish and Portuguese are somewhat difficult to distinguish from each other.
I use Google translate for those.

rockondon
posted October 14, 2011 11:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rockondon Click Here to Email rockondon Send a private message to rockondon Click to send rockondon an Instant MessageVisit rockondon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rockondon's Have/Want ListView rockondon's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
wondering if there was a good website for this, magicards.info isn't very only tells me what lanuages it is availible in, but only gives english pics. Thanks

What? I don't think you looked at the site very closely. It links card pics in the various languages they are printed in. All you have to know is what country the flags represent.

|~~My #1 Angel~~l'_|'_|_|)
|(@)(@)""***|(@)(@)**|(@)

bertie312
posted October 15, 2011 12:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bertie312 Click Here to Email bertie312 Send a private message to bertie312 Click to send bertie312 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
HI,

A friend of me done This for all the languages...

Bertrand

The Web Page is in French

Need Third Party in Europ ??
My Motl REFS
==> My Trading Post <==[/small]

Hermann -ICE-
posted October 15, 2011 12:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hermann -ICE- Click Here to Email Hermann -ICE- Send a private message to Hermann -ICE- Click to send Hermann -ICE- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Here is a similar site in English.

Kyzneg
posted October 15, 2011 12:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kyzneg Click Here to Email Kyzneg Send a private message to Kyzneg Click to send Kyzneg an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rockondon:
What? I don't think you looked at the site very closely. It links card pics in the various languages they are printed in. All you have to know is what country the flags represent.

Yes and no. On a lot of cards, especially newer ones, they do have scans of all the languages a card was printed in, but or a lot of the older cards (looks like pre-Mirrodin), they only have one or two scans, and the other languages just show the English scan. They also don't have all the languages for some of the older sets even listed, primarily for the Asian languages.

Edit: fixing quote box.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Kyzneg on October 15, 2011]

LemonMeringue
posted October 16, 2011 12:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Korean: lots of circles
Chinese: Looks like squares
Japanese: has small kana above the kanji

Edit: Sometimes japanese doesn't have kana. In that case, it's the one that doesn't have lots of circles but also doesn't look all blocky.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LemonMeringue on October 16, 2011]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League