Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Grove of the Burnwillow's combos.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Grove of the Burnwillow's combos.
Soldier Boi
posted September 23, 2011 10:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how effective the combo's with this actualy are. Like punishing fire and kavu predator. I have seen it in very few deck lists and I have never actually seen be played. What deck's does it fit it and how good does it work? Or how useful is it?

WeedIan
posted September 24, 2011 04:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
There was a Zoo deck that has it in recently. Card advantage is almost always worth more than giving your opponent a single life so going tap a red you gain a life i "draw" is pretty awesome.

15th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

thror
posted September 24, 2011 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
It really depends what the deck wants, and what you can reasonably expect a repeatable shock to accomplish. In legacy, when merfolk was everywhere, it was fairly insane (most other people were playing lavamancer at the time though). In extended, it's helped to keep faeries down, and it hasnt really gotten a chance in modern because of all the combo. Now, however, there might be more creatures running around (namely fae and merfolk again), and it quite fairly punishes those decks :P.

Kavu predator, on the other hand, is a 1G creature from timespiral block that isnt Tarmogoyf, and it suffers because of that. Because lifegain isnt a 'winning strategy', so to speak, you cant count on your opponent actually gaining enough life often enough to play a grizzly bear. With a single grove, over 3 turns of letting them gain 1 to deal an extra one, you manage 3 'free' points of direct damage, assuming they never block/remove your guy. It just isnt good enough, when instead you could pay the same 1G and have a 4/5, no questions asked.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

[Edited 1 times, lastly by thror on September 24, 2011]

iccarus
posted September 24, 2011 06:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
It was all over extended when it was legal and quite a few decks were running it for modern at the last PT, at least the Grove/Punishing Fire part of the combo.

It's a very efficient removal package that allows for easy recursion. Yeah, you may give them back a few life in the course of the game. However, you're also clearing the board of most threats. Imagine it with 2 copies in the yard. By giving them 1 life, you get to recur four damage for RR

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

Soldier Boi
posted September 24, 2011 07:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of using it for legacy. What would be an ideal package? 2 burnwillows/4 fires?

thror
posted September 24, 2011 08:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
It really, really depends on what deck you're playing. I played it in 4 color counterbalance, 3 groves/2 fires. We need a frame of reference, but 2grove/4 fire is probably just wrong across the board. Nearly everything in legacy plays wasteland, and once an opp realizes what you're doing, you'll have no groves in play and some nice 2 mana shocks in your deck.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Absurd90
posted September 24, 2011 10:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Absurd90 Click Here to Email Absurd90 Send a private message to Absurd90 Click to send Absurd90 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:
I was thinking of using it for legacy. What would be an ideal package? 2 burnwillows/4 fires?

If you play Knight of the Reliquaries you can use them to search burnwillows so 2/4 split seems good in such build.

Soldier Boi
posted September 25, 2011 11:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I was thinking if putting this in my aggro loam. Help me kill Jace mostly so he won't keep bouncing my creatures.

simbayu
posted September 25, 2011 12:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for simbayu Send a private message to simbayu Click to send simbayu an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soldier Boi:

I would start with 2/4 and playtest it. Add more groves if it seems necessary.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by simbayu on September 25, 2011]

nailbunny7
posted September 25, 2011 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nailbunny7 Click Here to Email nailbunny7 Send a private message to nailbunny7 Click to send nailbunny7 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I used to play it in aggro loam, I did 3 groves and 2 fires (3 fires if there was a lot of fish around)

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League