Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Cards that are good, but fair and not overpowered

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Cards that are good, but fair and not overpowered
Speed Demon
Banned
posted September 11, 2011 04:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Speed Demon Click Here to Email Speed Demon Send a private message to Speed Demon Click to send Speed Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Inspired by the phyrexian mana cards (there have been a few misses and a few hits..)

This list is for the perfectly costed card.

I.e.

Gitaxian probe is a fine card. Perfectly costed. Doesn't break anything and isn't overpowered. Same with Mutagenetic growth.

However on the other side, there is mental misstep and dismember. One you can make a case for it to never been printed, and the other making it cost 1 more mana..

What about other cards?

Ancestral Visions is a fair card imo. If it was suspend 2, it'd be overpowered, and if it was suspend 4, it would be near-unplayable..

eXtremeEagle
posted September 11, 2011 04:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eXtremeEagle Click Here to Email eXtremeEagle Send a private message to eXtremeEagle Click to send eXtremeEagle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View eXtremeEagle's Have/Want ListView eXtremeEagle's Have/Want List
Dismember probably would have been fine if they had made it cost B{P/B}{P/B}.

MeddlingMage
posted September 11, 2011 05:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by eXtremeEagle:

Doesn't it already...?

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

eXtremeEagle
posted September 11, 2011 05:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eXtremeEagle Click Here to Email eXtremeEagle Send a private message to eXtremeEagle Click to send eXtremeEagle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View eXtremeEagle's Have/Want ListView eXtremeEagle's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingMage:

Doesn't it already...?

~MM

It's 1 colorless and two Phy-black, I feel like a Black and two Phy-black would have been more fair. It would make it so that you have to be playing Black to play it instead of splashing it into every single deck, but still lets you cast it earlier if need be and fit into 2/3 color decks easier.

dfitzg88
posted September 11, 2011 05:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

Doesn't it already...?

~MM

no

MeddlingMage
posted September 11, 2011 05:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MeddlingMage Click Here to Email MeddlingMage Send a private message to MeddlingMage Click to send MeddlingMage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MeddlingMage's Have/Want ListView MeddlingMage's Have/Want List
quote:
It's 1 colorless and two Phy-black, I feel like a Black and two Phy-black would have been more fair. It would make it so that you have to be playing Black to play it instead of splashing it into every single deck, but still lets you cast it earlier if need be and fit into 2/3 color decks easier.

Ooops, my bad, I knew I was missing something but couldn't quite grasp it...

quote:
Originally posted by dfitzg88:
no

Now if only everybody was as super helpful as you...

~MM

CM Punk "OMG Kevin Nash WTF, thought he was dead, LOL"

New keeper of the Logout button

thror
posted September 11, 2011 05:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Speed Demon:

Ancestral Visions is a fair card imo. If it was suspend 2, it'd be overpowered, and if it was suspend 4, it would be near-unplayable..

Ancestral visions IS suspend 4.

[16:17] <@BrassMan> what do you need new tech for?
[16:18] <@BrassMan> gush is unrestricted

[19:01] <nderEvo> you can delete yourself

Speed Demon
Banned
posted September 11, 2011 06:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Speed Demon Click Here to Email Speed Demon Send a private message to Speed Demon Click to send Speed Demon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
Ancestral visions IS suspend 4.

wow i suck.

dfitzg88
posted September 11, 2011 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Now if only everybody was as super helpful as you...

farsk8dutch
posted September 11, 2011 08:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for farsk8dutch Click Here to Email farsk8dutch Send a private message to farsk8dutch Click to send farsk8dutch an Instant MessageVisit farsk8dutch's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View farsk8dutch's Have/Want ListView farsk8dutch's Have/Want List
quote:

I compare it to Snuff Out. The loss of life keeps the card in check. Great mechanic if you ask me.

LemonMeringue
posted September 11, 2011 08:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Counterspell

Zakman86
posted September 11, 2011 08:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zakman86's Have/Want ListView Zakman86's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by farsk8dutch:
I compare it to Snuff Out. The loss of life keeps the card in check. Great mechanic if you ask me.

Dismember isn't even close to Snuff Out; Snuff Out requires you to still be playing black. Dismember is a design mistake.

dfitzg88
posted September 11, 2011 08:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Zakman86:
Dismember isn't even close to Snuff Out; Snuff Out requires you to still be playing black. Dismember is a design mistake.

Dismember was hitting a pretty bad standard environment, where some creatures just needed a cheap card for every deck to deal with them. Most decks would just auto-lose to deceiver/stoneforge/batterskull/ramp-into-titan. in my opinion, it was a solid attempt at balancing standard. it didnt work though....

choco man
posted September 11, 2011 08:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
There are so many cards that fit the description of OP.

But there are definitely some stand-outs that represent good approaches/directions that WOTC is taking. Here are some that I'd like to point out:
1.) Oblivion Ring (making efforts to spread power throughout the color-pie without violating it)

2.) Garruk Wildspeaker (He's pretty much the bar planeswalkers should be measured against. Lorwyn walkers were all a success)

3.) Go for the Throat/Doom Blade (shows that they can continue to tweek existing cards in meaningful ways)

4.) Memnite (shows they are willing to push boundaries and can do so successfully)

5.) Solemn Simulacrum (right reprints at the right time, can energize player base with very good reprints)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by choco man on September 11, 2011]

Havoc Demon
posted September 11, 2011 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc Demon Click Here to Email Havoc Demon Send a private message to Havoc Demon Click to send Havoc Demon an Instant MessageVisit Havoc Demon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Goblin Piledriver. For a card that is very limited in use it makes the most out of it. Not Recruiter, Welder or Lackey good but close to it.

Support my friend's store: http://www.tabletoparena.com

LemonMeringue
posted September 11, 2011 09:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LemonMeringue Click Here to Email LemonMeringue Send a private message to LemonMeringue Click to send LemonMeringue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or SaleView LemonMeringue's Trade Auction or Sale
Aven Mindcensor is a good one too, very well costed. Piledriver is really good, but personally i agree that it's not OP.

Dryad Arbor is a perfect card too

Edit: Zak just means that since snuff out requires you to control a swamp, it is much more limiting than dismember, even though you must pay mana for dismember.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LemonMeringue on September 11, 2011]

farsk8dutch
posted September 11, 2011 09:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for farsk8dutch Click Here to Email farsk8dutch Send a private message to farsk8dutch Click to send farsk8dutch an Instant MessageVisit farsk8dutch's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View farsk8dutch's Have/Want ListView farsk8dutch's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zakman86:

Do you mean that Phyrexian Mana is a design mistake or just Dismember?

Comparing Snuff Out to Dismember as both have an alternate cost of paying four life.

One way of looking at it from the design perspective is that spells that would ordinarily only be in certain colors are now available to all at the cost of 2 life/P. Obviously the design team stepped over boundaries, evolving, and pushing the limits. IMHO that what makes these cards good.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League