Magic Discussion
  Modern Format Official? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Modern Format Official?
guru-swamp
posted August 05, 2011 07:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for guru-swamp Click Here to Email guru-swamp Send a private message to guru-swamp Click to send guru-swamp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Rumors of this circulating?

link

anyone shed light on this?

airwalk
posted August 05, 2011 07:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
That's as much as I could find about it, not really official, and I wasn't at Comic Con to hear him say it. A video would be good.

CubFan81
posted August 05, 2011 07:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
Ah, finally found a better one. This one's from WoTC's own page. About half way down. In case you don't want to click through:

quote:
Originally posted by Article:
One such question for Aaron was about the Modern format that was introduced during the Community Cup and whether or not it was going to be coming to sanctioned play anytime soon. Aaron shrugged and went on the record and say that Modern would be a sanctioned format in the very near future—something that sent a ripple through the Magic social network and would have been one of the highlights of the panel if not for the next person to get a bonus gift from the panel.

djcards
posted August 05, 2011 08:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for djcards Click Here to Email djcards Send a private message to djcards Click to send djcards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Edit: started typing before the above poster posted...
Only speculation, but I was thinking about this the other day and can definatly justify it... If it does happen I'm sure you can expect certain csrd in the new meta to price jump... Any thought on which one s.

um, not to hijack the post of course...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by djcards on August 05, 2011]

MTDetermine
posted August 05, 2011 09:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In the last 1-2 years, I have noticed a trend where speculation + subsequent rise in affected cards = Speculation Came TRUE later on.

Remember how Zendikar was speculated to be Vampires friendly and M10's Vampire N increased from $2 to $10+? Turned out Zendikar really had Vampires. There are a few other incidents, though I cannot recall them right of my mind.

Looking at the past trend, and how Shockland prices had increased, I will say, yes, there will be a Modern Format.

Bugger
posted August 06, 2011 09:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTDetermine:
In the last 1-2 years, I have noticed a trend where speculation + subsequent rise in affected cards = Speculation Came TRUE later on.

Remember how Zendikar was speculated to be Vampires friendly and M10's Vampire N increased from $2 to $10+? Turned out Zendikar really had Vampires. There are a few other incidents, though I cannot recall them right of my mind.

Looking at the past trend, and how Shockland prices had increased, I will say, yes, there will be a Modern Format.

Or you could, y'know, draw the same conclusion from Aaron forsythe flat-out stating that modern will become a format instead of using laughably specious reasoning like "if it is speculated, it is likely to come true". Correlation does not imply causation.

MTDetermine
posted August 06, 2011 10:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
Or you could, y'know, draw the same conclusion from Aaron forsythe flat-out stating that modern will become a format instead of using laughably specious reasoning like "if it is speculated, it is likely to come true". Correlation does not imply causation.

I am just sharing my view in response to the threadstarter's query. I welcome you to approach from a constructive angle by giving your view.

No need to type up a response simply to poke at my reply. English is not my native language. No surprise if I make some errors when communicating in English.

-PoX-
posted August 06, 2011 10:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for -PoX- Click Here to Email -PoX- Send a private message to -PoX- Click to send -PoX- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wasn't this announced months ago?

Goaswerfraiejen
posted August 06, 2011 10:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am just sharing my view in response to the threadstarter's query. I welcome you to approach from a constructive angle by giving your view.

No need to type up a response simply to poke at my reply. English is not my native language. No surprise if I make some errors when communicating in English.

Bugger's point is unrelated to your command of English, which is just fine. Rather, it's the reasoning exhibited in your post that is unsound. The price of singles is not something controlled by WotC, WotC employees, or people 'in the know' about future sets, and so you cannot draw appropriate conclusions about future sets: the price of cards is entirely unrelated to the actual content of future sets, although it is often tied to speculated content.

When certain cards increase in price at the same time as rumours involving them abound, that's not because the rumours are true and the cards are somehow trying to tell us. The cards increase in value because of the rumours, which drive players to purchase those cards in anticipation of their increased prices; so, the price of the cards is related to the presence of rumours, but not to their veracity.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

MTDetermine
posted August 06, 2011 11:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
Bugger's point is unrelated to your command of English, which is just fine. Rather, it's the reasoning exhibited in your post that is unsound. The price of singles is not something controlled by WotC, WotC employees, or people 'in the know' about future sets, and so you cannot draw appropriate conclusions about future sets: the price of cards is entirely unrelated to the actual content of future sets, although it is often tied to speculated content.

When certain cards increase in price at the same time as rumours involving them abound, that's not because the rumours are true and the cards are somehow trying to tell us. The cards increase in value because of the rumours, which drive players to purchase those cards in anticipation of their increased prices; so, the price of the cards is related to the presence of rumours, but not to their veracity.

Thanks for the explanation, understand it better now.

What I was trying to express is that, for the last 1-2 years, the price appreciation brought about by the rumour mills have often proved to be accurate. For example, in 2009, there were some rumours on Shocklands being in M10, and "Overextended" speculation in 2010. However, both of these rumours were not accompanied by price increases and were found to be false.

On the other hand, rumours accompanied by price appreciation often proved to be true. Call me cynical if you want. I believe this is likely due to "insider trading" by people who had access to such news. Afterall, MTG insider trading is unlikely to be illegal (though u may break WOTC ethics guidelines if you are a WOTC employees).

Bugger
posted August 06, 2011 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for the explanation, understand it better now.

What I was trying to express is that, for the last 1-2 years, the price appreciation brought about by the rumour mills have often proved to be accurate. For example, in 2009, there were some rumours on Shocklands being in M10, and "Overextended" speculation in 2010. However, both of these rumours were not accompanied by price increases and were found to be false.

On the other hand, rumours accompanied by price appreciation often proved to be true. Call me cynical if you want. I believe this is likely due to "insider trading" by people who had access to such news. Afterall, MTG insider trading is unlikely to be illegal (though u may break WOTC ethics guidelines if you are a WOTC employees).

And what you're forgetting is that unlike Modern format, the rumors of overextended a year ago and speculation that the shocklands were in M10 never received a single shred of proof at all. Contrast that with the current price spike that began shortly after Comic Con, wherein Aaron Forsythe explicitly confirmed Modern's impending creation. Your timeline for these events seem to be waaaaay off.

And yes, I'll happily and proudly scorn your conspiracy theories, because like all conspiracy theories it is unfounded and incorrect.

AtriumXP
posted August 06, 2011 07:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AtriumXP Click Here to Email AtriumXP Send a private message to AtriumXP Click to send AtriumXP an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to this if the rumors are true, but I tend to side with the skeptics rather than speculate they're true.

On the bright side, I made a pretty nice profit off the upswing on my spare shocklands

Check my Have/Want/Sales List!
**I send in bubble mailer + top loader + soft sleeve**

caquaa
posted August 06, 2011 11:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by -PoX-:
Wasn't this announced months ago?

It was announced as a format at the community cup and for the community cup only. Players speculated that it would be a real format down the road. It was confirmed at SDCC that it will be a real format.

Guess my biggest concern is what will stay on the banned list and what will be removed. Hypergenesis? Stoneforge?

wakeupwithastory
posted August 07, 2011 04:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wakeupwithastory Send a private message to wakeupwithastory Click to send wakeupwithastory an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
On cockatrice, we currently, do play Modern. Lots.

Will it become sanctioned just because we play?
Will it become sanctioned just because we pay more for shock lands?

Do I know? No. I would guess very very likely though.

CubFan81
posted August 07, 2011 07:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
Guess my biggest concern is what will stay on the banned list and what will be removed. Hypergenesis? Stoneforge?

Yeah, this will be interesting. I thought I remember reading on the coverage that the Hypergenesis decks were ridiculously good during the cup.

The issue there is that everyone's decks may not have been ideal since there was relatively minimal time to brew and test. On the other hand, WoTC (whether fairly or not) gives the impression that they take that kind of playtesting (see: Mystical Tutor) seriously for banning purposes so they may change up that list from the beginning.

mm1983
posted August 08, 2011 05:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I don't know about Modern format being official yet but if/when it does become official then the current Extended will officially be a dead format.

MTDetermine
posted August 08, 2011 09:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MTDetermine Click Here to Email MTDetermine Send a private message to MTDetermine Click to send MTDetermine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
I don't know about Modern format being official yet but if/when it does become official then the current Extended will officially be a dead format.

As long as people have the cards, they will play. This just means that people can play MTG all year round. Legacy, Modern, Extended (and T2 if they play T2).

Kryne
posted August 11, 2011 09:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kryne Click Here to Email Kryne Click to send Kryne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Holy crap, the official banned list was released for Pro tour Philly, which has been changed to modern. Apparently they don't like having good cards played. I'm surprised bob made it through.
ban list

DerangedHermit
posted August 11, 2011 09:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for DerangedHermit Click Here to Email DerangedHermit Send a private message to DerangedHermit Click to send DerangedHermit an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or SaleView DerangedHermit's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Kryne:
Holy crap, the official banned list was released for Pro tour Philly, which has been changed to modern. Apparently they don't like having good cards played. I'm surprised bob made it through.
ban list

Also not banned: AEther Vial, Ravager, Disciple and Darksteel Citadel.

-PoX-
posted August 11, 2011 09:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for -PoX- Click Here to Email -PoX- Send a private message to -PoX- Click to send -PoX- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yes, WoTC comes one step closer to making another eternal format as slow as standard.

Why don't they reprint FoW already? They won't shut up about how important it is for Legacy all the while banning every fast deck anyway just like they did now for modern.

Just give people their FoWs and let them play crazy unstable fast decks : D

wayne
posted August 11, 2011 09:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Kryne:
ban list

Looks like Modern is now official

skizzikmonger
posted August 11, 2011 09:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised they didn't ban Vial, Ravager, Goyf, and Confidant. Yet.

oneofchaos
posted August 11, 2011 09:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I love the banned cards "they think would warp the format". Ancestral visions? Valakut? Could we have just waited 3 months and just saw what happended? I don't like the number of banned cards to exceed the number of legal sets in a format.

Wizards did not make a smart choice.

gaeacradle
posted August 11, 2011 09:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for gaeacradle Click Here to Email gaeacradle Send a private message to gaeacradle Click to send gaeacradle an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View gaeacradle's Have/Want ListView gaeacradle's Have/Want List
The card that I'm most surprised that they didn't ban was Aether Vial. This card will make Zoo and Merfolk the premier aggro decks in the format.

oneofchaos
posted August 11, 2011 10:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaeacradle:
The card that I'm most surprised that they didn't ban was Aether Vial. This card will make Zoo and Merfolk the premier aggro decks in the format.

From reading that article on WOTC, it seems they want to neuter control/combo and have aggro dominate.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League