Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Does anyone play type 4?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Does anyone play type 4?
choco man
posted June 08, 2011 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
This is my favorite format though I only get limited opportunities to play it. Plays just like pack-wars, except it's actually fun.

Some of the Commander deck cards are insanely awesome for type 4.

caquaa
posted June 09, 2011 02:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
I used to have a stack I'd carry around. I kinda got bored of it and tore it apart once I got a cube up and running. The cube needs some work, but we play windfall with the cube so its a good replacement for type 4 and only requires one stack of huge cards.

choco man
posted June 09, 2011 02:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
What is windfall?

oneofchaos
posted June 09, 2011 03:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caquaa:
I used to have a stack I'd carry around. I kinda got bored of it and tore it apart once I got a cube up and running. The cube needs some work, but we play windfall with the cube so its a good replacement for type 4 and only requires one stack of huge cards.

My type 4 stack died the day I worked on my cube. Ever since cube got popular the type 4 kinda died. Sad

choco man
posted June 09, 2011 03:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for choco man Click Here to Email choco man Send a private message to choco man Click to send choco man an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View choco man's Have/Want ListView choco man's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
My type 4 stack died the day I worked on my cube. Ever since cube got popular the type 4 kinda died. Sad

I find that EDH took much more from my stack than cube.

Cube isn't as accessible as type 4 is though. Better players have such an incredible edge in experience and knowledge in Cube draft.

Sounds like blasphemy, but Cube isn't fun unless most of the 6-8 drafters are equally competent.

caquaa
posted June 09, 2011 03:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Cube is a good way to build drafting skills. You don't get to evaluate the same picks over and over but instead have to make sometimes very complex choices on how powerful a card is, especially based on what you've drafted already. Land tax goes way up in value if you already have a scroll rack...

Windfall is something I picked up at a local PTQ, from what I heard "the pros do it between matches at the Pro Tour"... for whatever that is worth, lol...
Simple rules tho, its why I liked it. Whomever goes first draws 1 card, after that its 2 cards per turn. Any card can be played face down as a land that taps for any color (has no types) as many times as you like per turn. No tutoring and avoid infinites such as meloku.

It creates some interesting plays where people go all in w/ whatever they have. Drop all my cards as lands, play juzam and pridemage, go! Sometimes you get blown out, other times you don't, but the games can go fast. When using the cube the obvious problem is drawing too many lands and tutors, but its not meant to be a fair and balanced format. We typically just grab chunks and go through the cube once in a set of a few games not reusing any cards. It is kinda funny when something like beacons come up for a second time and everyone pauses to think why.

quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:

well the good thing is they can be completely separate. T4 doesn't have to have any good cards in it. Ignoring any mana cost makes it fairly easy to add random things to the stack. I always liked finding X spells that didn't win the game instantly to include.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by caquaa on June 09, 2011]

JoshSherman
posted June 09, 2011 06:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
I like to watch the guys at my shop when they T4 their cube. It's pretty cool. I have an Un-"cube" but it's awful. T4'ing it isn't even fun.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League