Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  How to say refer to the Game in other languages

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How to say refer to the Game in other languages
Golden Eagle
posted May 08, 2011 07:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Golden Eagle Click Here to Email Golden Eagle Send a private message to Golden Eagle Click to send Golden Eagle an Instant MessageVisit Golden Eagle's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Golden Eagle's Have/Want ListView Golden Eagle's Have/Want List
I have been playing and trading a bit online and have come across quite a few players from other countries, especially more recently. I was wondering how these people refer to the game.

Languages of interest: German, Italian, Portuguese, French, Dutch

I think German is Magic Karten.

How would you refer to altered art magic cards in these languages?

Goaswerfraiejen
posted May 08, 2011 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In French, it's supposed to be called "Magie: l'assemblée", but we all (at least in Québec) just call it "Magic". As in, "cartes de Magic". In fact, Wizards "translated" 'Magic' as 'Magic' in French. Why they did that is beyond me, but it does sound less weird.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

yukizora
posted May 08, 2011 09:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yukizora Click Here to Email yukizora Send a private message to yukizora Click to send yukizora an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
French:

Magic: L'assemblée (Not that much used)
Cartes Magic
Magic

German:

I heard of Magic Karten, I don't know what's the translation of MtG in that language though

JasonX-NL
posted May 08, 2011 10:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JasonX-NL Click Here to Email JasonX-NL Send a private message to JasonX-NL Click to send JasonX-NL an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In Dutch we generally just call it "Magic". If you mean "going to play a game of Magic", we'll say "Magic-en" or "Magic spelen".

Basically, the Dutch speak English pretty well, especially needed if you play Magic, since it's not translated.
So we use all the English terms. I'm sure most will also use the term "altered".

Markers
posted May 09, 2011 03:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Markers Click Here to Email Markers Send a private message to Markers Click to send Markers an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In Switzerland we talk about "Magic"...Gathering is never used.

"Magickarten" just means: "magic cards" in English

As someone who is rather proficient in English it REALLY hurts when Germans/Swiss kids talk about "tapping"..With Zendikar I cringed everytime someone made a "Alle" (ally)...

Beta: 279/302 signed
AN: 87/92 signed
AQ: 97/100 signed
LG: 267/310 signed
DK set: 104/119 signed
FE set: 175/187 signed

Total signed cards: 24'321

my stuff

yukizora
posted May 09, 2011 04:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yukizora Click Here to Email yukizora Send a private message to yukizora Click to send yukizora an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Markers:
In Switzerland we talk about "Magic"...Gathering is never used.

"Magickarten" just means: "magic cards" in English

As someone who is rather proficient in English it REALLY hurts when Germans/Swiss kids talk about "tapping"..With Zendikar I cringed everytime someone made a "Alle" (ally)...

Es isch tappiert!

Nah ok, that was a fail attempt at Swiss German. I guess here (On teh French side) we've got about 3 groups.
You'd have the competitive players, who can speak English good enough to play.
Kids who can read a card in English, but not communicate very well. (I know two of them who play real good. It's always very fun to see them play against proplayers.)
Other who can't use English in any way (And have all their cards in French, I'd hate that!).

[Edited 1 times, lastly by yukizora on May 09, 2011]

shaselai
posted May 09, 2011 06:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
well magic the gathering has 2 names in china - originally it was "Mue Fa feng yuen hue" which loosely translates into "magic wind cloud meeting/gathering". But it also goes by "wan zhi pai" and i think it is the predominant name now?

yoriagami
posted May 17, 2011 07:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yoriagami Click Here to Email yoriagami Send a private message to yoriagami Click to send yoriagami an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View yoriagami's Have/Want ListView yoriagami's Have/Want List
In Portuguese you just call it Magic. Some say it like "mágik", others like "médjique", but no-one translates.

We also don't translate, typically, card abilities (flying, trample, etc.), but we do translate basic land types, mana colors, and expansion set names.

Thanos
posted May 18, 2011 12:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Around my neck of the woods it translates to "cardboard crack".

shaselai
posted May 18, 2011 01:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for shaselai Click Here to Email shaselai Send a private message to shaselai Click to send shaselai an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:
Around my neck of the woods it translates to "cardboard crack".

Or my friends used to call it "Magic the Scattering" because one guy netdecks the hell out of it and destroys all fun of it....

MagixDK
posted May 18, 2011 03:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagixDK Click Here to Email MagixDK Send a private message to MagixDK Click to send MagixDK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
people who complain about netdecking are so 1996.

In Denmark its referred to as Magic. or Magiccards(way back).

we use the english names for everything. all abilities, deck, sideboard, mulligan, untap etc.

only life is translated to the danish "liv".

[Edited 1 times, lastly by MagixDK on May 18, 2011]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League