Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Are prices of mythics like prices of foils when they came out?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are prices of mythics like prices of foils when they came out?
Mr.C
posted December 10, 2010 12:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
No, I won't post this at Salvation.

Something occurred to me when I was thinking about the perception of value of mythic rares, and it made me go 'hmmmmm...'

Basically, for those of you who were playing in Legacy/Masques, remember how foil cards were obscenely expensive, for anything? I remember going into a local store and seeing Foil Ring of Gix for the equivalent of $70, mostly because it was something new and nobody was sure how to price it.

I sort of see this happening to mythics. They are as rare as an Ice Age rare, yet the prices are out of whack for something that's actually not that rare.

I commented this with a friend here, and he basically said I was nuts, mythic rares would always be worth substantially more because they were mythic.

What do you guys think? Sorry if this sounds a bit convoluted, engrish is not my frist langauge

junichi
posted December 10, 2010 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
No, I won't post this at Salvation.

Something occurred to me when I was thinking about the perception of value of mythic rares, and it made me go 'hmmmmm...'

Basically, for those of you who were playing in Legacy/Masques, remember how foil cards were obscenely expensive, for anything? I remember going into a local store and seeing Foil Ring of Gix for the equivalent of $70, mostly because it was something new and nobody was sure how to price it.

I sort of see this happening to mythics. They are as rare as an Ice Age rare, yet the prices are out of whack for something that's actually not that rare.

I commented this with a friend here, and he basically said I was nuts, mythic rares would always be worth substantially more because they were mythic.

What do you guys think? Sorry if this sounds a bit convoluted, engrish is not my frist langauge

Foil Ring of Gix was a $200 card when it first came out.

"lol you'll see when these go for 50 bucks a piece in a couple months, you're just jealous. !" - Marciano 315 03/17/2010

airwalk
posted December 10, 2010 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Eh, many Mythics are barely worth the cardboard they are printed on and aren't valuable because obviously, they suck.

The good mythics are standard staples that need to be owned to be highly competitive -- creating a large demand. A great demand draws a great price, even if they aren't any more rare than the worthless trash Mythics.

Also, as I remember it was damn hard to pull a foil from Legacy, foils seemed to be much more uncommon back then compared to today.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by airwalk on December 10, 2010]

Lord Crovax
posted December 10, 2010 04:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Legacy Common foils were something like 1:15, Uncommon 1:20 and Rare were like 1:25.

Then again Commons were 10-20, Uncommon 20-30, and rare were 50+, but this was all legacy, by time masq hit they upped the odds.

As for Mythic, yea people seem to treat them like they used to treat foils, its worth more because its Mythic, even if it sucks.

Markers
posted December 15, 2010 02:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Markers Click Here to Email Markers Send a private message to Markers Click to send Markers an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:

The good old times When foils replaced Uncommons in Booster and were VERY hard to get

Some of my cards: http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x362/Markersman/Magic/

WeedIan
posted December 15, 2010 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WeedIan's Have/Want ListView WeedIan's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Markers:
The good old times When foils replaced Uncommons in Booster and were VERY hard to get

I thought the foil replaced the rare which made them so expensive and people were upset about it.

15th in posts on MOTL
Top 5 in Refs in Ontario (by people who location posted)

WestWycke
posted December 15, 2010 06:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WestWycke Click Here to Email WestWycke Send a private message to WestWycke Click to send WestWycke an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Originally, foils replaced a card of the same rarity.
A foil common replaced a common, a foil uncommon replaced an uncommon, and a foil rare replaced the rare.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

Jtrade77
posted December 15, 2010 08:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
No, this isn't the case at all.

Ring of Gix tanked within two sets, once people realized that foils were here to stay and not a one-of fad decision.

Prices on mythics haven't tanked within two YEARS despite a rotation out of standard. In general, the really sought after mythics tend to average out at $10ish after rotation, but they also tend to show in box sets. WotC has muddied the waters by constantly reprinting mythics in other venues, since they are so rare.

However, I wouldn't expect something like Baneslayer to ever fall below $10, or something like Jace v2.0 to fall below $20 (unless they do put it in a boxset someday).

-Lunch_Box-
posted December 16, 2010 02:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for -Lunch_Box- Click Here to Email -Lunch_Box- Send a private message to -Lunch_Box- Click to send -Lunch_Box- an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think you are missing the biggest difference between Legacy/Masque foils then and Mythics now. If you did not want to pay the premium for foils you still had access to a regular rare version that was much cheaper. If you dont want to pay $75 for JtMS or $300 for a playset then you better start considering something without blue

Volcanon
posted December 16, 2010 08:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Lunch_Box-:
I think you are missing the biggest difference between Legacy/Masque foils then and Mythics now. If you did not want to pay the premium for foils you still had access to a regular rare version that was much cheaper. If you dont want to pay $75 for JtMS or $300 for a playset then you better start considering something without blue

Or, in casual, playing with proxies.

Ippon
posted December 17, 2010 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ippon Click Here to Email Ippon Send a private message to Ippon Click to send Ippon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
One of my favourite memories was calling a Foil Masticore out of a pack and windmill slamming it onto the table in front of 4 guys in my LGS

shade2k1
posted December 17, 2010 09:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for shade2k1 Click Here to Email shade2k1 Send a private message to shade2k1 Click to send shade2k1 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View shade2k1's Have/Want ListView shade2k1's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:

More like $100, actually.

It was still crazy-go-nuts, though.

wayne
posted December 17, 2010 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by -Lunch_Box-:

Or be a cheapskate like me and run UB without Jace

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League