Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Safest way to sell cards to a new member?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Safest way to sell cards to a new member?
PriestsofGix
posted September 13, 2010 11:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PriestsofGix Send a private message to PriestsofGix Click to send PriestsofGix an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PriestsofGix's Trade Auction or SaleView PriestsofGix's Trade Auction or Sale
So a new member wants to buy a playset of revised duals off me. He's from China with 0 refs. What's the best way to protect myself?

Mr.C
posted September 14, 2010 12:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
Other than not selling to him? China raises all sorts of red flags for me, no pun intended.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Mr.C on September 14, 2010]

thror
posted September 14, 2010 01:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
Arrange a 3rd party, and have him send payment in prepaid form (postal money order or whatever). This way, you know they have the money, and you can't be fraudulently charge-backd. Doing it 3rd party gives him the security that you are holding to your end of the deal (assuming he trusts the 3rd party).

iccarus
posted September 14, 2010 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant MessageVisit iccarus's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View iccarus's Have/Want ListView iccarus's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.C:
China raises all sorts of red flags for me.

*rimshot*

Seriously though, 3rd party all the way. There's no legitimate reason to be against that on such a high dollar deal.

PriestsofGix
posted September 14, 2010 02:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PriestsofGix Send a private message to PriestsofGix Click to send PriestsofGix an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PriestsofGix's Trade Auction or SaleView PriestsofGix's Trade Auction or Sale
Ok,

Do any of the Mods here do third party?

thror
posted September 14, 2010 02:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Trade Auction or SaleView thror's Trade Auction or Sale
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/016986.html

3rd party traders list. We really need a 'sticky' function....

Harmless
posted September 14, 2010 04:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Harmless Click Here to Email Harmless Send a private message to Harmless Click to send Harmless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So if you send to a third party and the package gets lost when traveling from the third party to the other trader, or the other trader claims something is wrong, then it's on the third party to make the compensation, right?

I just wanted to know if there's any point to using a third party other than verifying contents if you're planning on shipping registered anyway.

nderdog
posted September 14, 2010 04:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Harmless:
So if you send to a third party and the package gets lost when traveling from the third party to the other trader, or the other trader claims something is wrong, then it's on the third party to make the compensation, right?

I just wanted to know if there's any point to using a third party other than verifying contents if you're planning on shipping registered anyway.

That depends on the arrangements with the 3rd Party. I will not take any responsibility for cards lost or damaged from me to the people that I send to, as I'm providing a service and usually don't get any compensation other than shipping costs, and recommend additional services from the post office if people are concerned with loss. A 3rd Party's purpose isn't to protect you from the post office, it's to protect you from someone not sending their cards or sending you the wrong cards/condition/version/etc.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

caquaa
posted September 14, 2010 04:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

The typical set up is you agree to suck up the loss or you pay for tracking/insurance. The third party is doing a favor for you, you're not going to stick them with more responsibilities.

Harmless
posted September 14, 2010 04:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Harmless Click Here to Email Harmless Send a private message to Harmless Click to send Harmless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sorry if it wasn't clear from my post, but the implication was that the trader would be requesting that the third party send via registered mail, which comes with tracking and insurance.

@nder: Given this context, and the now obvious fact that the third party is being used to protect oneself from the other trader rather than the post office, would you provide compensation if the other trader decided to file a Paypal dispute for any reason?

nderdog
posted September 14, 2010 04:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
@nder: Given this context, and the now obvious fact that the third party is being used to protect oneself from the other trader rather than the post office, would you provide compensation if the other trader decided to file a Paypal dispute for any reason?

If I was the 3rd Party? No, I wouldn't. I guarantee if someone I was 3rd Partying for tried to file a claim on my PayPal account, they'd be on the BTA so fast their head would spin.

Edit: I am assuming, of course, that we're talking about a case where I didn't do something wrong, but rather lost mail or some other issue that is beyond my control.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on September 14, 2010]

Harmless
posted September 14, 2010 05:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Harmless Click Here to Email Harmless Send a private message to Harmless Click to send Harmless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
If I was the 3rd Party? No, I wouldn't. I guarantee if someone I was 3rd Partying for tried to file a claim on my PayPal account, they'd be on the BTA so fast their head would spin.

Edit: I am assuming, of course, that we're talking about a case where I didn't do something wrong, but rather lost mail or some other issue that is beyond my control.

Yes, of course. For simplicity's sake in this hypothetical, I am assuming that the third party is trusted implicitly by the sender. I imagine that if you did do something wrong and knew it, you would make amends.

But the point here is that it is assumed that the buyer is trying to rip someone off. They can claim the package never arrived, which, in my limited experience using registered mail with the USPS, is possible given that tracking sometimes isn't shown for anything past the point where the package leaves the US.

The ripper can also claim that the package was empty, or stuffed with newspaper, etc. Which, as I mentioned previously, seems like reason enough to use a third party as content verification. However, the ripper only needs to convince Paypal in order to get their money back; it doesn't matter what the other two parties think.

rats60
posted September 14, 2010 06:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by PriestsofGix:
So a new member wants to buy a playset of revised duals off me. He's from China with 0 refs. What's the best way to protect myself?

I would be sure to send the cards insured with the buyer paying for it. If you were in the US, you could send insured global express mail for 45.95 through USPS. If your postal service doesn't have that type of service, I would try FedEx or you could find a 3rd party in the US to send for you.

Mr.C
posted September 14, 2010 08:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click Here to Email Mr.C Send a private message to Mr.C Click to send Mr.C an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr.C's Have/Want ListView Mr.C's Have/Want List
I just wouldn't sell.

Or, maybe do a wire transfer. That would be good.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League