Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Going to Tokyo soon...

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Going to Tokyo soon...
alphataru
posted August 15, 2010 05:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for alphataru Click Here to Email alphataru Send a private message to alphataru Click to send alphataru an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I want to go hunting for some JP foils in person, I'm wondering if anyone who has done the same can point me to some shops that carry a good selection of foils in Tokyo.

I will probably spend a day or so going through the various stores, would appreciate some pointers! Thanks.

caquaa
posted August 15, 2010 11:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
Pretty much have to hope to get lucky. They all get picked through as far as the store's collections go.

Arkanalys
posted August 15, 2010 11:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Arkanalys Click Here to Email Arkanalys Send a private message to Arkanalys Click to send Arkanalys an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Arkanalys's Have/Want ListView Arkanalys's Have/Want List
yellow submarine is a good place for magic cards. you can find one in akiyabara

wayne
posted August 15, 2010 01:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Ask Michael French or stab107, they reside in Japan, although maybe not Tokyo.

grandeur84
posted August 15, 2010 09:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for grandeur84 Click Here to Email grandeur84 Send a private message to grandeur84 Click to send grandeur84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nothing much that you can find that isnt overpriced if you do not know the people there. There are tons of people who scour through the stores these days so chances are very low for finding good and fairly priced foils.

caquaa
posted August 16, 2010 01:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by grandeur84:
Nothing much that you can find that isnt overpriced if you do not know the people there. There are tons of people who scour through the stores these days so chances are very low for finding good and fairly priced foils.

the chances might be low, I found a nice deal but I wasn't certain the value and didn't think it was as good a deal as it actually was ($50 card for $17). Was at yellow submarine, its probably one of those hit or miss type deals. I assume trading with locals is where its at, heh.

Volcanon
posted August 16, 2010 02:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wayne:
Ask Michael French or stab107, they reside in Japan, although maybe not Tokyo.

French lives in Osaka.
I used to live in Tokyo. Tokyo > Osaka.

quote:
Originally posted by grandeur84:

Stores will sometimes have good deals. If you have the time you can find $3 rares in the junk rare box.

Better deal is Yahoo Japan Auction, but Yahoo Japan is no longer very foreigner-friendly.

alphataru
posted August 16, 2010 05:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for alphataru Click Here to Email alphataru Send a private message to alphataru Click to send alphataru an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Do the stores have giant foil binders you can ask to look at, or do you just have to ask about every card you need?

It's a little upsetting to think that I might go to Japan and come back with nothing

Btw, I know most sellers won't ship out of Japan, but is it possible to buy on Yahoo auction via foreign credit card and just have the cards ship to my hotel?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by alphataru on August 16, 2010]

Michael French
posted August 24, 2010 07:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Michael French Click Here to Email Michael French Send a private message to Michael French Click to send Michael French an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

Do the stores have giant foil binders you can ask to look at, or do you just have to ask about every card you need?

Each store has a different policy.. most expensive cards are in a glass case.. cheap cards are in the bins. For older expansions many stores have binders that have photo copies of the cards inside. I was looking at a P3K binder from Yellow Sub in Kyoto today.. they priced.. Loyal Retainers at about $5.00 and Imperial Seal at $110.. but they both had sold out next to them.

Btw, I know most sellers won't ship out of Japan, but is it possible to buy on Yahoo auction via foreign credit card and just have the cards ship to my hotel?:

You also have to be able to read and write Japanese in order to join Yahoo Auctions and make bids.. I believe you need a local address and bank account. I joined about 10 years ago.. so I'm not so sure. Most sellers on Yahoo Auctions want a direct payment to their local bank account.

Eddy wrote....

A few years ago I used to be able to spend $300 to $400 dollars at a store each week buying Foils, and Japanese eternal and English casual cards. Now some visits to stores I am lucky to buy $30 in cards.

Legacy prices are insane here. English Wastelands are $35.00 - $40 at stores in Osaka. Just a few years ago I could pick them up for $3.00! With the week dollar.. it is more profitable to sell to Japanese stores than to buy from them. In order to sell to Japanese stores you will need a Japanese Alien Resident Card, Japanese Drivers License or Japanese National Health Insurance Card. Foreign Passport won't work for most stores.

That being said, every once in a while I will find something at good price. This weekend I visited six stores and only found a JPN Foil Flooded Strand and Cabal Therapy at an attractive price. It helps to have friends that are owners and managers of stores.. most of the good cards I get.. I find before they are displayed.

If you like rummaging through thousands of cards in bargain bins, you will have a good time. If you expect to find a JPN Foil Polluted Delta or JPN Foil Jace on the cheap, you will be disappointed. The biggest find for me this weekend was a foil Snake that I will put in my Seshiro EDH deck.

[Edited 4 times, lastly by Michael French on August 24, 2010]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League