Magic Discussion
  The Post for Magic Stuff 39 (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Post for Magic Stuff 39
nderdog
posted July 08, 2010 06:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
Looks like the last one was broken in the crash, so time for a new one.

Anyway, at our shop, we have one guy who's been playing Magic for a few months, and he just drives me crazy with things he says. It was bad enough hearing him constantly pronounce mana to rhyme with sauna, but it's so much worse. Sleeves are slipcovers (I didn't realize cards were furniture!) Vengevine is Vengie-vine, and we even have Crackin' Dragonlord.

I know it's petty, but no matter how many times we all use the correct pronunciations and terms around him, he keeps on doing it wrong.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

OGB
posted July 08, 2010 07:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for OGB Click Here to Email OGB Send a private message to OGB Click to send OGB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:

Anyway, at our shop, we have one guy who's been playing Magic for a few months, and he just drives me crazy with things he says. It was bad enough hearing him constantly pronounce mana to rhyme with sauna, but it's so much worse. Sleeves are slipcovers (I didn't realize cards were furniture!) Vengevine is Vengie-vine, and we even have Crackin' Dragonlord.

I know it's petty, but no matter how many times we all use the correct pronunciations and terms around him, he keeps on doing it wrong.

Ugh! I hate Hate HATE this too. The worst is that multiple people in my shop say "Sour" of Temptation. I just want to punch them in the face.

hilikuS
posted July 08, 2010 08:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Reminds me of when Umezawa's Jitte came out. At first it was Jiddy, then Jit, then Jeetay. I think the last one is the correct one, but it was funny watching people argue over it.

Renaming cards can be fun as well. Like Order of the Taco Bell. One of my faves.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on July 08, 2010]

Meddling Pimp
posted July 08, 2010 08:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Meddling Pimp Click Here to Email Meddling Pimp Send a private message to Meddling Pimp Click to send Meddling Pimp an Instant MessageVisit Meddling Pimp's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Renaming cards can be fun as well. Like Order of the Taco Bell. One of my faves.

My favorite was always Meddling Pimp

wrshp666
posted July 08, 2010 08:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wrshp666 Click Here to Email wrshp666 Send a private message to wrshp666 Click to send wrshp666 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Reminds me of when Umezawa's Jitte came out. At first it was Jiddy, then Jit, then Jeetay. I think the last one is the correct one, but it was funny watching people argue over it.

wrooong. When this card was legal in std. i NEVER once heard it pronounced correctly. jiddy, jit are obviously wrong but it isn't pronounced jeetay. it's more like ji (and then a slight pause)-te. the EE sound is quite short.

Myy
posted July 08, 2010 08:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
Ths word I had trouble with pronouncing and no one ever corrected me, so I'm guessing they didn't know either. was Sovereign, I would always pronounce it sover-rain. until recently I decided to actually look the word up.

nderdog
posted July 08, 2010 08:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:

Oh yeah, calling cards by nicknames intentionally is always good. I have the whole shop calling them Lawnmower Elves, and that's cool. It's just the one guy who is doing it and honestly believes he's right.

quote:
Originally posted by Myy:
Ths word I had trouble with pronouncing and no one ever corrected me, so I'm guessing they didn't know either. was Sovereign, I would always pronounce it sover-rain. until recently I decided to actually look the word up.

It's understandable to not know how to pronounce something. A lot of the words are made up or somewhat obscure, so that's not a big deal. It would be different if everyone else you played against said it the right way and you still kept saying it wrong, and you were doing it on many many words.

Report rules violations.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by nderdog on July 08, 2010]

stab107
posted July 08, 2010 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dude actually sounds like he might be British or something from the writing, not phonetically challenged per se.

quote:
Originally posted by Meddling Pimp:

You know, ever since that last thread there has always been something about you meddling people *shakes fist*.

nderdog
posted July 08, 2010 09:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
Dude actually sounds like he might be British or something from the writing, not phonetically challenged per se.

Nope, not even a little bit. I'm sure he's never even been across the pond.

Report rules violations.

yakusoku
posted July 08, 2010 09:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for yakusoku Click Here to Email yakusoku Send a private message to yakusoku Click to send yakusoku an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wrshp666:
When this card was legal in std. i NEVER once heard it pronounced correctly.

Same here. I studied Japanese in college, so it probably bugs me much more than the average guy (plus, I'm a grammar freak, so abuse of the language also annoys me). While Kamigawa block was being drafted all the time, I had to let a lot of minor mispronunciations go, or I'd go crazy. If someone got close, like HAND-EN for "Honden" or JEE-TAY for "Jitte", I'd be fine, especially given that 99% of players seem to say ZHEET, JIT, or JIDDY.

Besides, I think a bigger offense over the mispronunciation for double consonants is the way many players use a hard "r" rather than a soft "r".

However, I also give players a break, given that I studied Spanish for 4 years and *still* cannot roll my double r's. (Thus my "burrito" becomes BOO-REE-TOE rather than BOO-RRRRRR-EEEE-TOE; in fact, I probably pronounce it just like if it were a Japanese word.) So, if they can't pronounce it correctly, it's not the end of the world. What really annoys me are the people who mispronounce Magic cards that use real life words from other languages, and when informed about the proper way to say it, dismiss it because they "like the way the alternate way sounds." Unfortunately, that was often true with U. Jitte, because people insisted that it should be pronounced just like how they would describe it, only with one syllable and the "j" pronounced less like "zh" and more like "sh".

hilikuS
posted July 08, 2010 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Meddling Pimp:

We used to call Stinkweed Imp "Sneaker Pimp" for awhile (or just Chimp). I love Lawnmower Elves for sure, that's a good one. I started calling the Shard block tap lands "triads", and that just confused everybody for awhile. The other one that comes to mind is kind of hard to explain. But we used to call Crackleburr "Cwacklebuh". Fun as hell to say, but I'm not sure that translates well in text form.

Then there were nicknames I just hated, like Shock lands. They don't shock you... you lose 2 life! They're Rav Duals . Kird Kitty was like the most annoying nickname ever. That card of course being Wild Nacatl.

quote:
Originally posted by wrshp666:
wrooong. When this card was legal in std. i NEVER once heard it pronounced correctly. jiddy, jit are obviously wrong but it isn't pronounced jeetay. it's more like ji (and then a slight pause)-te. the EE sound is quite short.

I'll take your word for it, but that's now the 4th way to say it lol.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on July 08, 2010]

CubFan81
posted July 08, 2010 10:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CubFan81's Have/Want ListView CubFan81's Have/Want List
quote:
Then there were nicknames I just hated, like Shock lands. They don't shock you... you lose 2 life! They're Rav Duals . Kird Kitty was like the most annoying nickname ever. That card of course being Wild Nacatl.

I've used both Shock Lands and Rav Duals so it doesn't bother me. At least I can see where the Shock part of it comes in. I thought Kird Kitty was Loam Lion?

Also, anyone else bothered by people referring to Wooded Foothills, Arid Mesa, and on as Sac Lands? I was always under the impression that they were Fetch Lands?

wrshp666
posted July 08, 2010 10:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wrshp666 Click Here to Email wrshp666 Send a private message to wrshp666 Click to send wrshp666 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
another interesting play came up in a draft and thought i'd get your guys imput on it. To clarify I'm not looking to see if what I did was right or wrong, just what you would have done. I say this because i seemed to get responses i was not looking for when i posted a similar scenario to this one in the last post for magic.

scenario:
its pod finals, and you play against someone you have never seen at your store. game 1 plays out like so:

opp turn 2: wall of omens
your turn 2: nothing
opp turn 3: stalwart shield bearers
your turn 3: irrelevant creature that can't get through
opp turn 4: vent sentinel

This is where i have a question for you guys. Your hand includes 2 narcolepsy's. Your deck has 1 answer to vent sentinel in the form of a lone heat ray (and triple mnenonic wall) but neither are in your hand. do you

a) play narcolepsy to force your opp's tempo to slow him down by forcing him to pay 2 every upkeep in order to activate the sentinel
b) don't play narcolepsy and hope to draw the heat ray before you die/take too much damage.
c) play narcolepsy as an angleshoot. play it on the sentinel in hopes that he may not understand that he can tap it in response.

I end up going w/ choice C. C seems like the best play because it virtually is A with a little more thought put into the play. (because if he does know that he can its the same play as A).

Then he taps his sentinel to the narcolepsy next turn, and casts another sentinel on turn 5.

do you:
a) hope that he may still be ignorant to the rules and narcolepsy the second vent sentinel
b) you don't narcolepsy the second vent sentinel and hope to draw the heat ray because if he is aware he can tap his sentinel you just wasted all of your removal.

I end up doing choice A, only because i feel as though no information was really attained with the first narcolepsy. He could have intentionally not tapped his sentinel to do 3 in order to cast a fresh sentinel, and by casting the second narcolepsy it will prove whether or not he is aware of the trigger of narcolepsy. I say this because he would have to tap out aside from 1 mana to activate his sentinels to do 8 damage, something he would obviously do if he knew he was able to.

The end result is that my gamble paid off and he did not know that he could tap his sentinel in response. I end up winning the game and the match, and politely tell him about his mistake and hope that he learns from it. Additionally throughout game 1 he never asked me whether or not he could tap his sentinel in response to the narcolepsy, or else i would have truthfully told him.

what would you guys have done?

edit:

also cubfan, if you use both terms rav and shock lands, why does people using sac land over fetch land annoy you...?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by wrshp666 on July 08, 2010]

TimeBeing
posted July 08, 2010 11:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for TimeBeing Click Here to Email TimeBeing Send a private message to TimeBeing Click to send TimeBeing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would have likely done what you did. Your pretty dead if you don't make that play if it works you have a shot if it doesn't your dead.

GenghisTom
posted July 08, 2010 11:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yea I think those plays are solid, only because he's new to the cardshop and you'd never seen him before. When he played the second vent sentinel it was a no brainer IMO to play the second narcolepsy because you had essentially already committed yourself to that strategy. In other words, you were all-in. Nice play though.

disclaimer: I'm getting sick of Triple Rise.

BTW: I absolutely despise fetches being referred to as "saclands". It's the new players that call them that because they weren't around for Onslaught fetches but when the Zendikar ones came out they just started callin them saclands. Trends of a new generation perhaps.

Tab
posted July 08, 2010 02:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tab Click Here to Email Tab Send a private message to Tab Click to send Tab an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Vengevine is Vengie-vine, and we even have Crackin' Dragonlord.

The Venga-vine is coming, and everybody's jumping

airwalk
posted July 08, 2010 02:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know what to do when someone boasts (excessivly) about winning a game of Magic, calls you stupid for making a bad play, or questions cards you play with in your deck... 10 years ago, I was on the ball and knew everything about the game at the time and there was nothing to question. Now grown up, it's happening to me lots as I'm basically learning all over. I know people are just acting like this because they are insecure shut-ins with no ties to any meaningful success in life other than MTG, but at the same time, I'm barely able to keep myself from lunging across the table and and repositioning their spine them into some sort of pretzel.

Opalshine
posted July 08, 2010 02:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Opalshine Click Here to Email Opalshine Send a private message to Opalshine Click to send Opalshine an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
When I got back into magic a few years ago, my brother and all his friends were saying "JEET." They even tried to correct me by saying "No, it's 'jeet'" when I used the JIT-TEH pronunciation. That annoyed me so much that I trolled the internet until I found the official article from Wizards explaining how to pronounce the damn card (scroll to the bottom).

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mc2

nderdog
posted July 08, 2010 02:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by airwalk:
I honestly don't know what to do when someone boasts (excessivly) about winning a game of Magic, calls you stupid for making a bad play, or questions cards you play with in your deck... 10 years ago, I was on the ball and knew everything about the game at the time and there was nothing to question. Now grown up, it's happening to me lots as I'm basically learning all over. I know people are just acting like this because they are insecure shut-ins with no ties to any meaningful success in life other than MTG, but at the same time, I'm barely able to keep myself from lunging across the table and and repositioning their spine them into some sort of pretzel.

Easy. Find less-moronic people to play with.

Report rules violations.

airwalk
posted July 08, 2010 03:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Easy. Find less-moronic people to play with.

Imma tryin'! Unfortunatly it seems like there are only two cards shops around and the player base between the two sees a lot of the same people, bleh.

nderdog
posted July 08, 2010 03:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Imma tryin'! Unfortunatly it seems like there are only two cards shops around and the player base between the two sees a lot of the same people, bleh.

I'm lucky, we only have 1 shop, but most of the players are pretty good, except for the mispronunciation guy. There's a young kid who has a lot of potential to be a great player once he gets his skills up. He's 12, and already can hold his own against most of the guys there, and he doesn't have a great card pool yet.

Report rules violations.

GenghisTom
posted July 08, 2010 03:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

...or maybe just try being less bitter.

airwalk
posted July 08, 2010 03:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for airwalk Send a private message to airwalk Click to send airwalk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenghisTom:
...or maybe just try being less bitter.

That's not bitter. I'm simply amazed people act like they do, obviously if they feel the need to brag about something so trivial in order to make them feel good (or try to make me feel bad?) they are missing something in their lives. I couldn't care less in reality, it makes them look stupid and I'm sure others noticed too.

My analysis of them is the only way I can logically explain why they acted like they did, care to take a guess for yourself?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by airwalk on July 08, 2010]

GenghisTom
posted July 08, 2010 04:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I understand. In fact, I know very well of the type you speak of. I just find that the more I try to psychologically break down those that irritate me, the more negative energy I generate ultimately bringing myself down to a similarly low level. Now I just brush them off and move on.

Actually, back during M10 drafts there was an inexplicably irritating young teen who had a mouth that wouldn't close. We were both monoblack and at game three in a dead lock with a clear board, both in topdeck mode. He had a gorgon flail and I had a rod of ruin, he was at nearly 7 and I was at 5 or so. I top deck Rise from the Grave and cast it. He piercingly shouts, "oh my god hes gonna get my bog wraith!". I calmly say, "I'll take your gravedigger, comes into play, I'll return my gravedigger, cast it, and get back child of night, cast it. Go ahead." His jaw dropped, I grinned and everyone cheered as he conceded.

Now I don't know whether this anecdote was to boast of my play or to show that sometimes it's better to quietly wait and make a strike when its ripe, then whenever that person seems to get on your nerves you can just remember the time you...

JoshSherman
posted July 08, 2010 10:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

I've always been partial to cycling Your Mom.

If you don't get it, the word rhymes with moor

This topic is 13 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League