Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Deck Help & Construction
  Grixis Control for FNM

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Grixis Control for FNM
dfitzg88
posted August 23, 2012 05:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
It's been a while since I went to FNM, but here's what I plan on playing tomorrow, just for the fun of it.

2 Snapcaster Mage

2 Liliana of the Veil
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Karn Liberated
2 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

4 Ponder
2 Dissipate
2 Mana Leak
1 Tragic Slip
2 Doom Blade
2 Go for the Throat
2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Life's Finale
1 Devil's Play

4 Pristine Talisman
2 Sphere of the Suns
2 Gilded Lotus
1 Batterskull

3 Island
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Shimmering Grotto
2 Nephalia Drownyard
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Sulfur Falls

SB

3 Tragic Slip
2 Gut Shot
1 Magmaquake
2 Negate
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Despise
1 Arc Trail

I can't justify running too many counterspells against cavern decks, so I've removed most mana leaks in favor of more targetted/mass removal spells.

I am so drawn to Nicol Bolas, I just need to play it a few times before the rotation takes away some of the ramp/mass removal available.

Suggestions/comments would be great. I'll post results for anyone who cares.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on August 24, 2012]

Soldier Boi
posted August 24, 2012 11:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Soldier Boi Click Here to Email Soldier Boi Send a private message to Soldier Boi Click to send Soldier Boi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Results would help figure out what your weaknesses are. Without playing the deck I cant say whats working and whats not.

RJM
posted August 24, 2012 11:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for RJM Click Here to Email RJM Send a private message to RJM Click to send RJM an Instant MessageVisit RJM's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View RJM's Have/Want ListView RJM's Have/Want List
I think some Solemn Simulacrums would be a little more optimal for ramp and mana fixing. They're better CA and can help keep you alive while getting to 7-8 mana.

junichi
posted August 24, 2012 11:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
4x bonfire

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
John Wayne

dfitzg88
posted August 25, 2012 03:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by junichi:
4x bonfire

yeah i was hoping to get 2 of the bonfires i'd ordered in the mail by today but i did not.

overall, i ended up going with a deck that has proven results (GW Ramp Artifacts) and did not run this.

Bagbokk
posted August 25, 2012 10:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Someone here runs something similar and has done fairly well; some FNMs top 4, some not, just depends on what he ends up playing against.

I'd honestly suggest just running more basic lands; you don't need Shimmering Grotto and you don't REALLY need Nephalia Drownyard. Take out the Mountains, and run a bunch of Island/Swamps (probably Swamp heavy), and perhaps switch to Dragonskull Summit instead of Blackcleave Cliffs.

The reason for the specific choices above is that you currently have 3 cards in the entire deck, not counting sideboard, that require red, and all three require only one red. (Nicol Bolas & Devil's Play.) If/once you switch to Bonfires you won't need RRR to flashback Devil's Play, which you're kind of unlikely to get even with your current manabase anyways. Dragonskulls over Blackcleaves because you'll have more swamps/black sources. You don't need the red mana early on, but you probably do want it to come into play untapped later on (especially if it's the 8th mana you needed for Bolas).

Consider Chandra as a 1-2 of, for her -2 ability. It's not great, but something to consider still.

Consider Jace, Memory Adept over the Drownyards as an alternate win condition.

If you go the more-basic-land route, consider Solemn Simulacrum over Sphere of the Suns. Also, I don't know if you'll need the Gilded Lotuses. If you take out the 2 Spheres & 2 Lotuses for 4 Solemns, you should always reach the 7-8 mana for Karn/Bolas. Perhaps use 1 Mountain if you go Solemns, so you can always search for the one red source you'll need.

The guy here runs Sever the Bloodlines as one of his semi-mass removal/targeted removal. It works fairly well, and prevents a lot of "when x is put into the graveyard" or "when x dies" abilities because it just exiles. And it has flashback.

You could probably benefit from some extra reach somewhere beyond just Ponders. Amass the Components is a fair choice, so is Forbidden Alchemy (though not terribly awesome) or just simply Think Twice or Sign in Blood.

Negates/Mana Leaks are kind of up to you, but I think Negates might be a better choice here; Mana Leaks are for early threats but honestly you shouldn't have problems with creatures with all the removal. I don't know about Dissipates, you might have to playtest with that a little bit. The guy here said he wishes he could run them, but often runs into issues getting the UU needed for it.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by Bagbokk on August 25, 2012]

cwuwildcat
posted August 30, 2012 05:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for cwuwildcat Click Here to Email cwuwildcat Send a private message to cwuwildcat Click to send cwuwildcat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I used to play a grixis control deck, and I found that 2 druidic satchels worked really nice in it. Sadly, they will be rotating in about a month, but they worked really well for me to help make sure I was I was able.to draw more answers and threats. Also, I enjoyed using 2 copies of Olivia Voldaren as well.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League