Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Suggestions
  Reference Forum Threads - Temp Fix Suggestion

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Reference Forum Threads - Temp Fix Suggestion
tehdude
posted January 18, 2010 10:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tehdude Click Here to Email tehdude Send a private message to tehdude Click to send tehdude an Instant MessageVisit tehdude's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tehdude's Have/Want ListView tehdude's Have/Want List
Hey all, I was thinking... It seems pretty standard now that everyone is editing their H/W lists with information regarding how many References they are "owed" or "have not gotten yet" or "are waiting on."

Seems to me that we can band-aid this issue very very easily...

Create a new Forum RIGHT UNDER the MAGIC TRADING Forum titled: "References." Everyone could then create a topic within that tread titled: "<USER NAME> References" Then inside post who you have Ref'd and who is owed, or whatever, and here is the part where it all comes together:

In order to be verified, have each person who a ref is owed by or to post a reply to that topic saying what they traded and that they in fact traded with the poster.

I really don't see an easier way to do this... It would take 30 seconds to create a new Forum right under the Magic Trading Forum where everyone can see it, and then users could link that thread in their H/W list so they could use their Refs that they earned.

This would be way more official than simply listing who owes you a ref on your page, and would take little moderation (if any at all). Then, best of all, you could just DELETE it after we fix the real issue!

Thoughts?

enemyzero
posted January 20, 2010 12:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for enemyzero Click Here to Email enemyzero Send a private message to enemyzero Click to send enemyzero an Instant MessageVisit enemyzero's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View enemyzero's Have/Want ListView enemyzero's Have/Want List
Sounds like a decent idea to me.

ref list
blog/web site

tehdude
posted February 06, 2010 03:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tehdude Click Here to Email tehdude Send a private message to tehdude Click to send tehdude an Instant MessageVisit tehdude's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tehdude's Have/Want ListView tehdude's Have/Want List
Mods? Thoughts?

JoshSherman
posted February 06, 2010 06:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Have/Want ListView JoshSherman's Have/Want List
I like the idea, but worry about possible costs involved with the extra disk space needed to make it happen. You're talking about thousands of threads, after all. If this idea is not cost prohibitive, then I'm sure it's being discussed by our staff as we post

cerberus
posted February 06, 2010 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for cerberus Click Here to Email cerberus Send a private message to cerberus Click to send cerberus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just keep track of who you have traded with until the e-mail problem is fixed. I'd much rather have time spent on fixing the problem rather than wasted creating a new forum just so people keep track of who owes them a reference.

It's called notepad. Use it.

tehdude
posted February 08, 2010 04:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tehdude Click Here to Email tehdude Send a private message to tehdude Click to send tehdude an Instant MessageVisit tehdude's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tehdude's Have/Want ListView tehdude's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
I like the idea, but worry about possible costs involved with the extra disk space needed to make it happen. You're talking about thousands of threads, after all. If this idea is not cost prohibitive, then I'm sure it's being discussed by our staff as we post

Forums are made to post in...

quote:
Originally posted by cerberus:
Just keep track of who you have traded with until the e-mail problem is fixed. I'd much rather have time spent on fixing the problem rather than wasted creating a new forum just so people keep track of who owes them a reference.

It's called notepad. Use it.

You didn't get the point of the post. Its not to keep track of, its to SHOW the references that you have. These will be legitimate and respected references that will be used to determine sending order and stuff. If you have 37 confirmed references, and have 22 refs on your "new thread that I am suggesting" you will have a total of 59 references that you are allowed to quote the same way as if there was a little number "59" by your name.

cerberus
posted February 08, 2010 06:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for cerberus Click Here to Email cerberus Send a private message to cerberus Click to send cerberus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Even if I didn't "get" the point of the post, I still stand by my reason not to do it.

Would you really rather the admins, who have little enough time as it is, to create another forum for a temporary band-aid, instead of using that time wisely on actually fixing the problem? Really?

Nitelite
posted February 11, 2010 09:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Would you really rather the admins, who have little enough time as it is, to create another forum for a temporary band-aid, instead of using that time wisely on actually fixing the problem? Really?

And how is that "fixing the problem" thing working out? If Leshrac is the only person that can do something about the problem and 5 months later we still have the problem. I sure in heck wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new forum to be created to bandaid it.

kobe
posted February 14, 2010 06:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for kobe Click Here to Email kobe Send a private message to kobe Click to send kobe an Instant MessageVisit kobe's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Do we have any real eta on a mail fix?

Not being able to ref people properly, along with new users not being able to sign up, is really killing this site.

If we don't have an eta, I'd rather see a bandaid put in place (along with a new system for new people to join the forums) than continue to wait for something that may or may not happen.

Morbid-
posted February 14, 2010 03:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Morbid- Click Here to Email Morbid- Send a private message to Morbid- Click to send Morbid- an Instant MessageVisit Morbid-'s Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Agreed here. Also, we did have a crash at some point a month or so ago, where some people lost their H/W Lists. I still keep my references in Notepad, but still... I don't think a ton of people would be happy.

Take it from me, I used to help run a bigger forum than this, we had coders to deal with issues (site owner was also a brilliant programmer himself), but having something as a band-aid is better than doing nothing at all.

From what I understand, only the Admin has the power to fix this, so, it wouldn't hurt to get another forum created. This isn't a vBulletin shell so I can't really recommend anything, but every forum software should easily be able to add another sub-branch. Just my two cents, like I said, it doesn't matter to me because I'm saving my references as I go, but not everyone is that careful.

--M

quote:
Originally posted by kobe:
Do we have any real eta on a mail fix?

Not being able to ref people properly, along with new users not being able to sign up, is really killing this site.

If we don't have an eta, I'd rather see a bandaid put in place (along with a new system for new people to join the forums) than continue to wait for something that may or may not happen.

pulsemage
posted February 20, 2010 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for pulsemage Click Here to Email pulsemage Send a private message to pulsemage Click to send pulsemage an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pulsemage's Trade Auction or SaleView pulsemage's Trade Auction or Sale
hello i havent traded in a while, what is wrong with the ref checker anyway? any does anyone out there know how long it will take to fix? who's job is it to fix it and are they working on it? how long has it been down?

thanks

DerFisch
posted February 25, 2010 11:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DerFisch Click Here to Email DerFisch Send a private message to DerFisch Click to send DerFisch an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Question:

Is there anything we as members can do to help? Some of us (not particularly me, but I have a couple of friends) are really tech savvy and could probably get the whole thing fixed if they had access to it.

Perhaps what needs to happen, is the person (not sure who this is) who is working on fixing it (and doesn't have enough time to fix it), should request help from one or a few of the members.

Just a thought,

Reid

nderdog
posted February 26, 2010 10:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by pulsemage:
hello i havent traded in a while, what is wrong with the ref checker anyway? any does anyone out there know how long it will take to fix? who's job is it to fix it and are they working on it? how long has it been down?

thanks

It's a problem with the site host not sending emails out, so the ref checks aren't being received so people can fill them out. There is no ETA, and all Leshrac can do is continue to hound the hosting provider until they fix their issues. It's been down for a couple-three months by now, I believe.

quote:
Originally posted by DerFisch:
Question:

Is there anything we as members can do to help? Some of us (not particularly me, but I have a couple of friends) are really tech savvy and could probably get the whole thing fixed if they had access to it.

Perhaps what needs to happen, is the person (not sure who this is) who is working on fixing it (and doesn't have enough time to fix it), should request help from one or a few of the members.

Just a thought,

Reid

There's not even anything that the staff can do. It's a problem with a server out of anyone on MOTL's control. If it was internal, it would have been fixed by now, as Leshrac's pretty handy with this stuff, as are others of us. I personally am an email admin and backup web admin at my day job and would have been happy to assist if it was something that we could take care of.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

tehdude
posted February 26, 2010 02:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tehdude Click Here to Email tehdude Send a private message to tehdude Click to send tehdude an Instant MessageVisit tehdude's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tehdude's Have/Want ListView tehdude's Have/Want List
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
There's not even anything that the staff can do. It's a problem with a server out of anyone on MOTL's control.

So if you guys:

1) Can't do anything about the situation.

2) Have no ETA of a Fix.

3) Will not provide us another way to track our references in a public and official matter.

4) Are unwilling to drop your server host.

Then why come you will not pop open a temp forum so you can allow the community to regulate our references (with your moderation help of course)???

[Edited 1 times, lastly by tehdude on February 27, 2010]

EdMan218
posted February 26, 2010 02:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for EdMan218 Click Here to Email EdMan218 Send a private message to EdMan218 Click to send EdMan218 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View EdMan218's Trade Auction or SaleView EdMan218's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Even if I didn't "get" the point of the post, I still stand by my reason not to do it.

Would creating a new forum really take more than like 5 minutes?

Current Count: 734

Are you looking for some lower-end cards that don't appear on people's H/W lists? Check out the MOTL Card Exchange

DerFisch
posted February 27, 2010 10:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DerFisch Click Here to Email DerFisch Send a private message to DerFisch Click to send DerFisch an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdMan218:
Would creating a new forum really take more than like 5 minutes?

I think what he said was that it was more of a space issue than a time issue.

NoblePurpose
posted February 27, 2010 06:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for NoblePurpose Click Here to Email NoblePurpose Send a private message to NoblePurpose Click to send NoblePurpose an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DerFisch:
I think what he said was that it was more of a space issue than a time issue.

How exactly would it be a space issue? Didn't Leshrac just switch the forum to a new server recently?

evilempire22
posted March 02, 2010 08:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for evilempire22 Click Here to Email evilempire22 Send a private message to evilempire22 Click to send evilempire22 an Instant MessageVisit evilempire22's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View evilempire22's Have/Want ListView evilempire22's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
It's been down for a couple-three months by now, I believe.

I haven't been receiving post or PM notifications since October, so it has been 5 months.

bigbob585
posted March 02, 2010 08:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigbob585 Click Here to Email bigbob585 Send a private message to bigbob585 Click to send bigbob585 an Instant MessageVisit bigbob585's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If it helps I have a guy who just started a hosting company that will most likely charge less than whatever leshrac is paying right now and prevent this problem in the future.

If Leshrac or the mods want to message me about this I'll get you his info.

nderdog
posted March 03, 2010 08:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by tehdude:
So if you guys:

1) Can't do anything about the situation.

2) Have no ETA of a Fix.

3) Will not provide us another way to track our references in a public and official matter.

4) Are unwilling to drop your server host.

Then why come you will not pop open a temp forum so you can allow the community to regulate our references (with your moderation help of course)???

Personally, I see this as nothing more than a moderation nightmare. Most traders won't know it's there and won't care whether or not it is. For those that do, there will inevitably be people posting on other members' threads that they had x, y and z problems with them and not to trade with them, then someone would say that they had false claims against them and it would cause far more problems than it would be worth.

It's not hard at all to add a list to your rules section with a list of traders that you have dealt with since the ref checker stopped working that people can contact as needed to see how things went, just like they could do with the ref lists and the "email 10 random references" feature.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

fargo288
posted March 04, 2010 02:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fargo288 Click Here to Email fargo288 Send a private message to fargo288 Click to send fargo288 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fargo288's Have/Want ListView fargo288's Have/Want List
There's a basic feedback thread on a G.I. Joe collector website I belong to. Why not copy the existing feedback from YoJoe.com? It just needs to be a single thread in any of the existing categories.

http://forums.yojoe.com/good-traders-sellers/72735-good-bad-trader-list-2010-a.html

All you need is a mod to start the thread and then edit the first post from time to time.

Behalter
Banned
posted March 18, 2010 02:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Behalter Click Here to Email Behalter Send a private message to Behalter Click to send Behalter an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Well the e-mail system is back! This thread is no longer needed i do belive. Wootness!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League