Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  Prices are crazy!

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Prices are crazy!
James_Hetfield2
posted April 28, 2018 02:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for James_Hetfield2 Click Here to Email James_Hetfield2 Send a private message to James_Hetfield2 Click to send James_Hetfield2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Mox Diamond, City of Traitors, Lion's Eye Diamond, Serra's Sanctum, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Chains of Mephistopheles, The Abyss, Chaos Orb, even cards like Lake of the Dead.

Even non-reserve list cards are going up.

I don't recall a spike like this in Magic's history and I've been playing since 1995.

mm1983
posted April 29, 2018 06:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Some believe the recent price spikes are linked to people cashing out on crypto currency and using the money to buy high end mtg staples. In general it might be a wave of modern players finding their way into legacy.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on April 29, 2018]

James_Hetfield2
posted April 29, 2018 06:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for James_Hetfield2 Click Here to Email James_Hetfield2 Send a private message to James_Hetfield2 Click to send James_Hetfield2 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I hadn't heard the crypto currency theory, but makes sense, feels like a large influx of money. I know there people out there hoarding hundreds of copies of some of these cards.

I had been slowly picking up reserve list cards for my cube/EDH/legacy decks, but now I doubt I'll ever get many of them. $400 cradles? $300 mox diamonds? City of Traitors is probably cheap at $200.

Every time I sell something or wait to buy something I regret it.

JayC
posted April 30, 2018 10:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This insanity will fall apart - just like crypto did a few months ago, too. Full transparency I did really well in Crypto so I'm not knocking it but I also knew to sell when grandma was talking about it at the dinner table. Get ready for this nonsense to fall off, too.

mm1983
posted April 30, 2018 01:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Yeah, I know that feeling. I recently sold a few things too cheap compared to where they are now but it was still major profit from what I got the cards for years ago. Just make up for it in other ways. Use the money to buy other things that are going up in value right now. Either way its not a loss. Just don't make as much as you could have if you waited just a few weeks longer.

CoupDeGrace
posted April 30, 2018 08:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have not been in MOTL for couple of years, and yeah this is getting crazy.

I used to hold bitcoin/ETH as a trend trader at a point of time.

MTG is better than stock market in term of investment tho I am on stock market currently.

[Edited 4 times, lastly by CoupDeGrace on April 30, 2018]

JayC
posted May 01, 2018 03:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoupDeGrace:
I have not been in MOTL for couple of years, and yeah this is getting crazy.

I used to hold bitcoin/ETH as a trend trader at a point of time.

MTG is better than stock market in term of investment tho I am on stock market currently.

Ya, that's usually a good indicator that things are in an absurd, unsustainable place, in any investment really.

Today I saw Mox Diamond at $550 and Nethervoid at $1,100. Get real. This is nonsense now, and that's coming from someone who owns these cards on the cheap.

Mr. Ruboonia
posted May 04, 2018 03:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
If you're depending on MTG for your retirement, then you may have a problem. Personally, I'll stick with low ER index funds and keep MTG a hobby.

CoupDeGrace
posted May 05, 2018 09:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Ruboonia:
If you're depending on MTG for your retirement, then you may have a problem. Personally, I'll stick with low ER index funds and keep MTG a hobby.

It is stupid in the first place to depend MTG as retirement. A dividend portfolio with the yield of like 5% MIGHT be better off due to liquidity.

I do own index fund but most of the time I am more towards active investing(position trading in term of macroeconomic and technical analysis).

Currently I am on commodities, energy and shipping play after heavy on tech sector back then based on sector rotation play. Philip66, Helmerich & Payne and KEX are one of them in term of equities tho I do own Crude oil/silver/gold as well.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted May 12, 2018 05:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I haven't even looked at my cards--let alone played--in over a year (largely due to MWS's demise, I think; that's what kept me going for a while). So I haven't kept up at all.

Damn. Some of those prices... I had contemplated rounding out my collection a little and getting back into the game now that I'm no longer a poor grad student, but... not for a while. Then again, I came to the same conclusion for the same reasons a couple years ago, too. From what I can see, the prices never really returned to anything like their pre-Modern levels, let alone the totally reasonable levels of the early aughts. Frankly, that's what it would take to get me excited again.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League