Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  How to ship 11K worth of cards overseas

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How to ship 11K worth of cards overseas
hack84
posted March 11, 2015 12:13 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hack84 Send a private message to hack84 Click to send hack84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've been offered 11K by ABU games for a UL lot. They expect me to send first, and then receive a US business check worth 11K, which can be redeemed locally in my bank Finland with a lead time of 6 weeks (including exchange rate risk)

1) How can I avoid being ripped off? E.g. ABU complains about card condition or something missing, and sends less than 11K, or the check is "lost-in-mail"?
2) How should I ship the cards to avoid extra customs costs, but still being able to track everything and be insured?
3) Is it possible to make a deal with say Fed-Ex where they supervise the transaction? E.g. enforce that the check is sent before receiving the package.
4) Is there anybody reliable in Boise, Idaho who could act as third party?

bigbob585
posted March 11, 2015 12:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bigbob585 Click Here to Email bigbob585 Send a private message to bigbob585 Click to send bigbob585 an Instant MessageVisit bigbob585's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As a retail shop we get a lot of what-ifs. Many are of course warranted but many are not. The best way is to tell them you're worried about the exchange rate (which isn't their problem to be honest as they only deal in USD). You'll need to factor that into your price. If you're selling them 11k worth.

Of course that 11k is probably contingent on them all being NM unless price has been factored in. Many sellers overgrade their cards, which can result in a 10-30% loss of price, sometimes more for really hard end stuff as NM/M carries a premium.

Make sure the prices are quoted for the conditions specified.
You can use a trusted third party, so make sure you trust them
different shipping companies offer different levels of service depending what you pay. the highest is generally a signature and ID check for a specific person confirming they received the cards.

Keep in mind that many card shops deal with multiple orders like this every week, if not every day. It's not special to them.

See what banks they use and research any sister banks in your country to see if you can do a simple international wire transfer. unfortunately for you, abu doesn't have a bank in the EU, where transfers are low price under 12,500 euro.

It's simply about decreasing your potential risk as much as possible by knowing as much as you can going into it.

I hope this helps.

dwiz
posted March 11, 2015 06:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
For the kind of protection you're looking for, you're going to pay out the wazoo. If you want max protection, booking a flight isn't out of the question. $2k would hedge your bet, and protect you against inflation. Plus Boise, ID is a great place to spend March!...

Vermilion
posted March 11, 2015 07:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vermilion Click Here to Email Vermilion Send a private message to Vermilion Click to send Vermilion an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
1) How can I avoid being ripped off? E.g. ABU complains about card condition or something missing, and sends less than 11K, or the check is "lost-in-mail"?

Answer: Fedex will not pay you out on a claim if cards are damaged for more then $100. I've sent a single card that was worth $25k via FedEx overseas uninsured with now issues so I wouldn't be concerned they are the best for international shipping.

2) How should I ship the cards to avoid extra customs costs, but still being able to track everything and be insured?

Answer: You ship them with 0 declared value or very low declared value but you won't be able to send them insured with FedEx and most countries will not cover the value of the cards once they leave the country of shipment.

3) Is it possible to make a deal with say Fed-Ex where they supervise the transaction? E.g. enforce that the check is sent before receiving the package.

Answer: No

Answer: Travis Pendleton?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Vermilion on March 11, 2015]

ende73
posted March 11, 2015 08:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ende73 Click Here to Email ende73 Send a private message to ende73 Click to send ende73 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Maybe www.escrow.com could help you to solve part of your issues, provided you can mutually agree on who pays for its fees.

slurpee
posted March 11, 2015 10:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
Your main fear should be just these two

1. Are your cards in the condition they are asking for? ABU grades very tough and unless you have a special deal with them their grading system is simple. NM or played. 80-90% of all of your cards are probably going to be listed as played unless you have a very rare collector non player collection. Their played price is about 50% of their NM so you should brace yourself as they don't have any middle ground.

2. Customs, buy whatever shipping you want but consider this. Once it hits USA customs it is considered just regular first class mail. There is no added protection. Your protection you buy is good only for the country you live in, not the one it arrives in. So if you declare a high value you can expect a higher chance of it being stolen. Europe mail mainly goes through New York, and they have a very high theft rate for expensive small packages. An example of this is that I have bought 3 moxes out of the USA, every one of them was stolen. Reason everyone of them declared a large value and therefore fit nicely in someones pocket.

ABU is a good company, they grade hard but they are not going to claim a card was not there when it was. They will mail out the check, if you don't get it, guess what it is not their fault it is the postal systems...

Vermilion
posted March 11, 2015 11:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vermilion Click Here to Email Vermilion Send a private message to Vermilion Click to send Vermilion an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You can also request if a card isn't NM that it gets sent back to you with a check for the rest that are NM. That would be your best approach you also need to contact them because the order is over $1000.

JensK
posted March 11, 2015 01:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JensK Click Here to Email JensK Send a private message to JensK Click to send JensK an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
And then when they send half of it back, it gets caught in EU customs and you have to pay a fortune to get them.

I don't think I would sell it like this. I suggest you sell within Europe (MCM is a great place) or sell to reputable people in the high end facebook group.

Tim05
posted March 11, 2015 04:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tim05 Click Here to Email Tim05 Send a private message to Tim05 Click to send Tim05 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tim05's Have/Want ListView Tim05's Have/Want List
I agree with the below. Why not just deal with a store closer to home? I wouldn't think you'd be able to find one particular place that is going to give you a huge premium.

Also, for your fear of a check being "lost in the mail" I don't think you should worry. If you do not receive it, call the company and have them stop payment on the check and reissue it. It shouldn't cost very much to do.

quote:
Originally posted by JensK:
And then when they send half of it back, it gets caught in EU customs and you have to pay a fortune to get them.

I don't think I would sell it like this. I suggest you sell within Europe (MCM is a great place) or sell to reputable people in the high end facebook group.

Lord Crovax
posted March 11, 2015 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's also ABU, unless you graded your stuff wrong, I wouldn't expect any problems with them.

I deal with them on a regular basis, good group of people.

Booking a flight to do it in person is also a option, eliminates most risk, and lets you browse Boise, few other shops around to check out, maybe find deals, etc.

EDIT: No clue how reliable you think I am over ABU, but I do live outside Boise.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Lord Crovax on March 11, 2015]

Lord Crovax
posted March 11, 2015 09:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vermilion:

Answer: Travis Pendleton?

Nope, Utah, though he could probably vouch for me :P

r3dd09
posted March 11, 2015 10:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for r3dd09 Click Here to Email r3dd09 Send a private message to r3dd09 Click to send r3dd09 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View r3dd09's Trade Auction or SaleView r3dd09's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:

Nope, Utah, though he could probably vouch for me :P

Travis P. here. While I do live in Utah, I do plan on going to Idaho soon to check out some shops with Lord Crovax; we could stop in at ABU and possibly work this out for you so you don't get gouged on condition.

If this is something you'd like to talk about, send me an email (r3dd09@gmail.com)

Don't message me here as I never get on here.

hack84
posted March 11, 2015 11:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hack84 Send a private message to hack84 Click to send hack84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for your advice!

bigbob585: Yes the exchange rate risk would be born by myself. And currently the euro is really weak, which is why this deal makes sense in the first place. No euro-shop can make such an offer for this lot. With regard to card condition, I've sent ABU high-res scans of the money cards, so I expect their offer to be correct.

dwiz: I'm really warming up to spending some time in Boise, ID !

Vermilion: So basically, i'll have to carry the risk of the shipping, because it will be prohibitely expensive to ship insured overseas. I wonder how much it would cost in total (insurance + customs)?

ende73: Thanks for the tip on escrow.

slurpee: 1. I've sent ABU scans of all the cards worth more than $30, so their offer should be accurate. The rest is played (or slightly played) as you said.
2. This is something new to me, hard to believe almost. So you are saying e.g. Fed-ex insurance is only good UNTIL the package arrives in the states?

JensK: It's a good suggestion, but the weakening euro has made ABUs offer over 2 kEUR better than any i've gotten Europe. And it seems the euro is still weakening. Maybe I should just wait a few months until the mtg prices adjust.

Tim05: : I guess checks are easy to re-issue as you said, then it only takes some additional time.

Lord Crovax Good to know. I'm seriously considering booking a flight as you suggested, maybe enjoy some vacation at the same time.

r3dd09 Thanks, i'll keep in mind. I'll consider making a trip first though

Magictrejdare
posted March 12, 2015 09:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magictrejdare Send a private message to Magictrejdare Click to send Magictrejdare an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Pm'd you

slurpee
posted March 12, 2015 09:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
That is great you have them committed on the price to condition.

On the shipping, to give you an idea of how sure I am. I actually opened a congressional inquiry to track down why my moxes were being stolen. This went all the way up to Donahue's office who was the postmaster general of the entire USA. My inquiry did not yield my cards, but it did help bust a ring of thieves at JFK. NOw not to brag, but when I got done talking to Donahue's secretary she was crying....

So to summarize this information is from his office directly, it also was the same info as the audit office and it was the same story on the regional level. While I offer people the option of registered shipping, it really is a waste of money for international shipping as it just protects the package until it reaches customs, once there is just regular mail. Sure the postal carrier has to get an autograph when delivered, but the tracking and added protection is gone.

This info is for USPS, not fed EX or any other shipper, but most people send by their postal system. I always post the info on peoples posts if anything to provide awareness to others as I figure 99% of the rest of the people have never taken things to the level I have.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by slurpee on March 12, 2015]

psyduck_dude12
posted March 16, 2015 10:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psyduck_dude12 Click Here to Email psyduck_dude12 Send a private message to psyduck_dude12 Click to send psyduck_dude12 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psyduck_dude12's Have/Want ListView psyduck_dude12's Have/Want List
Honestly hit a gp, your likely to get close to that amount but it would certainly be more than flying out to the US

r3dd09
posted March 16, 2015 10:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for r3dd09 Click Here to Email r3dd09 Send a private message to r3dd09 Click to send r3dd09 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View r3dd09's Trade Auction or SaleView r3dd09's Trade Auction or Sale
GP Modern Masters in Vegas would be a good one to attend, it's in May

Volcanon
posted March 17, 2015 09:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Just say no to selling to stores across the Atlantic.

With all of the complications you could end up with less than half at the end of the day, or even less than that and half of your cards being assessed for VAT at the border.

hack84
posted March 18, 2015 01:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hack84 Send a private message to hack84 Click to send hack84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Slurpee: That's amazing. Hard to believe this can happen in a modern country like the US. I guess that's why insuring fed-EX shipments is so expensive.

psyduck & r3dd09: Yup, but GP's would mean flying to the US anyway, and I hardly know how to play magic anymore :P

Volcanon: I'm also arriving at this conclusion.

Zakman86
posted March 20, 2015 12:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hack84:
Yup, but GP's would mean flying to the US anyway, and I hardly know how to play magic anymore :P

Not the case at all. Here's the schedule for you so that you can find a GP near you.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/premier-calendar#/overview

psyduck_dude12
posted March 20, 2015 02:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psyduck_dude12 Click Here to Email psyduck_dude12 Send a private message to psyduck_dude12 Click to send psyduck_dude12 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psyduck_dude12's Have/Want ListView psyduck_dude12's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Zakman86:
Not the case at all. Here's the schedule for you so that you can find a GP near you.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/premier-calendar#/overview

exactly what i was thinking, some of the larger US vendors will show up to these too.

Lord Crovax
posted March 20, 2015 03:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r3dd09:
GP Modern Masters in Vegas would be a good one to attend, it's in May

This seems like a solid option to, if you like Vegas that is.

dwiz
posted March 20, 2015 04:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
This seems like a solid option to, if you like Vegas that is.

Oi. Partied with hookers and dudes with unending wallets the night before last GP Vegas. Was a horrible time waiting in the sun and heat for 4 hours to just get into the building. Won the pack wars tourney before hand though. Haha

hack84
posted March 20, 2015 11:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hack84 Send a private message to hack84 Click to send hack84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Zakman86 & psyduck_dude12 : Seems like a decent option. There's GPs nearby in e.g. Denmark, Poland, Holland etc. How would you go about selling the cards there? The card shops?

Bigzamboni
posted March 30, 2015 08:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bigzamboni Click Here to Email Bigzamboni Send a private message to Bigzamboni Click to send Bigzamboni an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As for flying to the US with the cards, then leaving with the cash:

At that sum, you legally be required to declare it when leaving, and quite possibly need to provide proof of where it came from. Then if you tell them, they may ask for documents related to importation, as it was a commercial importation. When you can't provide them, prepare for the money to be seized on suspicion of money laundering, or similar claims.

Side note: check your PM.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League