Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  Downsizing & looking for advice on selling my 250-350k sorted commons // uncommons

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Downsizing & looking for advice on selling my 250-350k sorted commons // uncommons
jshields
posted July 08, 2014 08:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am downsizing my store inventory by at least 85% to switch to opening a regular store on Tcgplayer.com and seeking regular full-time employment in a non-Magic career with regular benefits. The majority of my store inventory is around 250,000 - 350,000 bulk commons and uncommons, which are sorted first by block and then by color, in labeled boxes.

While I am considering simply getting nickled and dimed by Star City, who will only offer $3.00 per 1000 or the local guy that will offer even less ($500 for the whole lot , regardless or sorting, I really would prefer to ), I would prefer to sell to another dealer.

My collection is about 50-65% modern cards and the rest is older, Vintage legal sets, including box set // promo non-foil regular commons and uncommons (i.e. Duel decks, Beatdown Box, etc...).

Years ago, I primarily sold these collection on Ebay, with a great deal of success. However, a few years ago, a guy in Japan left fraudulent feedback claiming that I never shipped his Mox Pearl, Timetwister, and 4 Baneslayer Angels (Then worth $50ish in with M2010), despite my providing proof of shipping with arrival to his house and insurance. Ebay decided to permanently ban my account, despite my having great feedback, and has refused to let me appeal the claim, no matter how many times I have tried to discuss my case with them. Therefore, Ebay is out of the question.

However, with Ebay, I do not know if this will work, but I would like to get a P.O. Box under my business's name of Power-Up!! Games to see if I can get the cards sold. As Ebay is notorious for arbitrary banning, even if you try to open a store, I do not know if this will work, even with a P.O. box in a neighboring city and a business bank account.

Realistically, the largest part of selling this collection is shipping expenses, which will run about $20.00 per 4000 cards in a USPS priority mail large flat-rate box, to prevent larger amounts of cards from getting bent. I have access to a truck and am willing to travel within 3 hours of the Blacksburg, VA area or 2 hours within the Beckley, WV area. The other local store in Princeton, WV does not have room currently, but this was my first idea to sell off my sorted collection.

At this point, who, what, or where would be the best bet to try to sell off my collection?

I would really prefer to sell to a MOTL member, as I have enjoyed and trusted MOTL for years, but the only person that responded so far was incredibly rude and tried to offer me even less than the SCG price, even if I drove the cards to their store.

Come see our items for sale on Ebid.net and of course, good old reliable MOTL!!

Animosity
posted July 08, 2014 09:14 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Animosity Click Here to Email Animosity Send a private message to Animosity Click to send Animosity an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
IS it picked and strictly bulk? I have some friends in PA that may be interested. Do you have a price in mind? Just some info I can relay to see if they are interested.

Tha Gunslinga
posted July 08, 2014 09:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
How many times have you posted this exact thread? Just dump it and be done with it.

paragondave
posted July 08, 2014 09:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
I think wallpapering a room or rooms in your house is the way to go. You'll cut down on heating and cooling costs due to the insulating properties of magic cards, especially in layers, and depending on the weather, you could potentially double or even triple your money.

Ovinomancer
posted July 08, 2014 11:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Ovinomancer Click Here to Email Ovinomancer Send a private message to Ovinomancer Click to send Ovinomancer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's crap...just sell it and be done with it. Sorted doesn't make it worth any additional $ to most people since it's been stripped of anything that's possibly sellable. $3 per 1000 in person if you're lucky.

AGO
posted July 08, 2014 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I get $10-$8 per 1000 on Craigslist.

mm1983
posted July 08, 2014 12:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
$4-6 per 1,000 seems to be the standard rate in most local areas. Personally, I wouldn't sell for less than $5 per 1,000 unless I was completely getting out of the game and even then I wouldn't take less than $4 per 1,000. Best bet might be to craigslist such a large amount of cards and offer them to people in either 5,000 or 10,000 card lots

jbark
posted July 08, 2014 01:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
most people buying bulk have way too much at the time. my brother has millions and wont take sorted and is only paying $3/1000 now. after paying $6 only a year ago. if i were you id take the $3 and run if you really have picked all $.10 cards and higher from it.

Volcanon
posted July 08, 2014 06:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Why dont you have a "sale" first? For example having sellside scg prices with free shipping? Might whittle down your stock a bit. I cam get ten bucks per thousand for unsorted com and unc on Craigslist but for that many cards itight take a while.

jshields
posted July 09, 2014 09:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jshields Click Here to Email jshields Click to send jshields an Instant MessageVisit jshields's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Volcanon. I am so busy between school and traveling out of town that I tend to forget when I last posted an advice request on MOTL, so I am totally sorry if this seems like spam, Gunslinga, as until recently, I sold as a contracted dealer with mortar and brick stores.

For the most part, like about any store's wholesale commons // uncommons, the majority of my cards are not in the highest demand, as bulk, but everything is pretty accurately sorted by block and color and is in individually marked boxes.

I will plan to organize a sale list and have listed a single lot of about 12,000 cards on the Auction board, despite that board having almost no visitors or postings, but that sounds like great information. If anyone has tried this successfully in the past on MOTL, what can they recommend that I use to market these collections? I am planning to include around 50 wholesale rares per 1000 cards, but as I have not really sold wholesale in about 7-8 years, I am super rusty.

Volcanon, could you please email me at jshields@vt.edu or have your friends contact me at the same address so we can discuss the collection purchase by email and phone?

ogre
posted July 09, 2014 02:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
Another route to take is if you have any local flea markets near you then make a box of 3-4k cards(mixed) and see if anyone is selling repacks there. You could probably get $30-35 for a box w/ that many cards so they could repack them, maybe throw in some foils that they could add to the repacks so anyone buying them buys more and then they'll need to buy more cards from you too.

Jesse

[Edited 1 times, lastly by ogre on July 09, 2014]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League