Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  Karakas condition questions

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Karakas condition questions
eljaso
posted March 06, 2014 06:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eljaso Click Here to Email eljaso Send a private message to eljaso Click to send eljaso an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It has some marks that idk what they are, but the card looks practically mint, especially for an old card. It looks like creases/wrinkles but the spot that its at is perfectly smooth like the rest of the card, is this a error in the printing? Its on both sides, does it affect the value?

Pics
http://tinypic.com/r/2meo20g/8

http://tinypic.com/r/acd3ps/8

pgrieco
posted March 06, 2014 06:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for pgrieco Click Here to Email pgrieco Send a private message to pgrieco Click to send pgrieco an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View pgrieco's Have/Want ListView pgrieco's Have/Want List
I'm far from an expert on this so I may be wrong, but it looks like it was damaged by being stored someplace with high heat and humidity.

eljaso
posted March 10, 2014 09:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for eljaso Click Here to Email eljaso Send a private message to eljaso Click to send eljaso an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pgrieco:
I'm far from an expert on this so I may be wrong, but it looks like it was damaged by being stored someplace with high heat and humidity.

Yeah, but that's the thing, I know what moisture damage looks like and that wrinkles the card. These spots are perfectly smooth, it's only noticeable at angle in bright light.

walkerdog
posted March 10, 2014 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
moisture and humidity/heat aren't going to look the same. For reference, try suspending a common in a sealed Jar, with a pool of water in the bottom, and leaving it in the window, so the card isn't touching the water.

Then look at it after a couple week compared to a common you leave a nice drop of water/pop/whatever on for a day or two. The "humidity simulation" will likely look like your card all over - it's possible that it was in a humid location, but just that part of the card had sunlight directly on it, I guess, which might account for the focused aspect of the mark.

eljaso
posted March 10, 2014 06:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eljaso Click Here to Email eljaso Send a private message to eljaso Click to send eljaso an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walkerdog:
moisture and humidity/heat aren't going to look the same. For reference, try suspending a common in a sealed Jar, with a pool of water in the bottom, and leaving it in the window, so the card isn't touching the water.

Then look at it after a couple week compared to a common you leave a nice drop of water/pop/whatever on for a day or two. The "humidity simulation" will likely look like your card all over - it's possible that it was in a humid location, but just that part of the card had sunlight directly on it, I guess, which might account for the focused aspect of the mark.

Shouldn't humidity still distort the surface, or warp/bend the card? The surface is as flat and shiny as the rest of the card, and as for the sunlight theory its in the exact same spot on both sides of the card.

What is the opinion on the condition?

eljaso
posted March 15, 2014 11:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for eljaso Click Here to Email eljaso Send a private message to eljaso Click to send eljaso an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So does no one object to this being NM condition?

paragondave
posted March 15, 2014 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
I've seen this on several older cards, especially from Legends and Mirage. I'm sure it's a printing issue. It shouldn't detract from condition. I'd call that card strict NM.

dwiz
posted March 15, 2014 08:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
I've seen this on several older cards, especially from Legends and Mirage. I'm sure it's a printing issue. It shouldn't detract from condition. I'd call that card strict NM.

This card has damage on all 4 corners. How can it possibly be considered NM. Just because it's from 1994 doesn't make it NM. It isn't a sliding scale.

chaos021
posted March 15, 2014 09:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
This card has damage on all 4 corners. How can it possibly be considered NM. Just because it's from 1994 doesn't make it NM. It isn't a sliding scale.

Then what condition would you call it?

My Sale Thread

majicman
posted March 16, 2014 12:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd put at worst NM- to NM. I've seen plenty of corners on Legends card stock from that era. It certain doesn't look played so I attribute it to opening the pack.

Have a feeling it would be 7-8 for PSA grading.

Good luck...Greg

[Edited 2 times, lastly by majicman on March 17, 2014]

eljaso
posted March 16, 2014 06:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for eljaso Click Here to Email eljaso Send a private message to eljaso Click to send eljaso an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the input guys.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League