Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  MTGO Tickets vs. Physical cards in trade

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   MTGO Tickets vs. Physical cards in trade
CGPhantom
posted September 28, 2013 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CGPhantom Click Here to Email CGPhantom Send a private message to CGPhantom Click to send CGPhantom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CGPhantom's Have/Want ListView CGPhantom's Have/Want List
Thinking about trying MTGO. But can't quite get over the prices being so high... I like physical items in return for my money (My precious). But, I find it hard to get to my local often (50 min buss ride) so want to give it a try.

I know tickets are 1$ ea. But what sort of value should you expect in trade for your physical cards?

my $10 card for your 10 Tickets? Does it trade straight across, or is there a premium to be expected, aside from shipping costs, etc?

Or is it easier to trade directly for digital cards you need? If so, again, at what premium (if any)?

Thanks in advance!

Moxdragon
posted September 28, 2013 03:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Moxdragon Click Here to Email Moxdragon Send a private message to Moxdragon Click to send Moxdragon an Instant MessageVisit Moxdragon's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would suggest selling your cards and buying tickets from members on MOTL. If you shop around you can find them for .95-.98 fairly easily, sometimes cheaper. It may not seem like much, but it can add up quickly.

CGPhantom
posted September 28, 2013 03:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CGPhantom Click Here to Email CGPhantom Send a private message to CGPhantom Click to send CGPhantom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CGPhantom's Have/Want ListView CGPhantom's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Moxdragon:
I would suggest selling your cards and buying tickets from members on MOTL. If you shop around you can find them for .95-.98 fairly easily, sometimes cheaper. It may not seem like much, but it can add up quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

So, is this going to be my best bet? Seems a bit long-winded. I understand that the tickets are bought at $1 a piece. But would it not be easier to sell the cards directly for tickets? So, my $10 physical card for a payment of 10 tickets (maybe slightly more for shipping?)

Or, is it best to trade for cards I'd need directly. $100 worth of cards for $100 worth of digital cards. It think this is where I was mostly wondering about any premium for physical over digital.

I'm just curious, I could be completely off the mark with all this.

thror
posted September 28, 2013 03:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
you run into the problem:

people with tickets have them because they want to use them on mtgo. not trade them for physical cards. because it is so easy to buy/sell/trade on mtgo, you really arent going to find many people that want physical cards for their mtgo stuff.

sell your cards for $, buy tix. this is going to be the fastest and easiest method.

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep
<KIP_NZ> we kiwi's like our sheep

CGPhantom
posted September 28, 2013 04:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CGPhantom Click Here to Email CGPhantom Send a private message to CGPhantom Click to send CGPhantom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CGPhantom's Have/Want ListView CGPhantom's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
you run into the problem:

people with tickets have them because they want to use them on mtgo. not trade them for physical cards. because it is so easy to buy/sell/trade on mtgo, you really arent going to find many people that want physical cards for their mtgo stuff.

sell your cards for $, buy tix. this is going to be the fastest and easiest method.

Yeah, thinking about trading/selling for tickets is probably not the most efficient way of doing things. But if I wanted to just buy tickets I would. I was just hoping to capitalize on the fact that I have a bunch of cards I don't use.

What about for cards directly? If this isn't viable, then I'll just do it the old fashioned way, and just buy the tickets.. if i decide to go forward with it.

Thanks for the input, most appreciated.

Base13
posted September 28, 2013 05:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Base13 Click Here to Email Base13 Send a private message to Base13 Click to send Base13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Step 1: Sell your cards on this website for a reasonable price.
Step 2: On this website buy your tickets.
Step 3:
Step 4: Profit.

I know....

CGPhantom
posted September 28, 2013 05:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CGPhantom Click Here to Email CGPhantom Send a private message to CGPhantom Click to send CGPhantom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CGPhantom's Have/Want ListView CGPhantom's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Base13:
Step 1: Sell your cards on this website for a reasonable price.
Step 2: On this website buy your tickets.
Step 3:
Step 4: Profit.

I know....

If I wanted to profit I wouldn't have gotten into MTG in the first place. I've just never had any experience with MTGO, and wondered how well the markets overlapped... and apparently they don't. Which is fine.

So, the answer is... trade my physical cards for more Physical cards, and buy tickets for digital ones. At the end of the day, I just want to play.

WinkyBlitzen
posted September 28, 2013 08:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for WinkyBlitzen Click Here to Email WinkyBlitzen Send a private message to WinkyBlitzen Click to send WinkyBlitzen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View WinkyBlitzen's Have/Want ListView WinkyBlitzen's Have/Want List
It's all about incentives, like anything else. Since tickets sell for approximately $.95 cents on the dollar, as long as you make trading your paper cards more economical than that, you could do it directly, but like the above said, it might be more economically feasible to just sell cards for money and buy the tix. It's time vs. money basically. For instance, for me personally, my MODO collection is pretty much complete in terms of any legacy, modern or standard deck I'd want to play, so any tickets gained from tourneys from now on will likely be getting cashed out (aside from spewing some on Cube/RGD this week, and Theros drafts next week) and I'd certainly be willing to trade them for paper cards if over time I could make more money on the cards than selling the tix straight across. If you want to do the legwork yourself, then selling cards for cash and cash for tix is the right way to do it. If you want to incentivize someone else to do the legwork I'd imagine people would be happy to oblige.

Base13
posted September 29, 2013 09:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Base13 Click Here to Email Base13 Send a private message to Base13 Click to send Base13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You are wanting to buy tickets for $1 when you can get them on here for less than that. On this same website you can sell your cards for there current cash value more or less. If you think this is not worth your time then don't do it.

You just wanna play then sell your cards to a buy list and get you some tix man.

CGPhantom
posted September 29, 2013 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CGPhantom Click Here to Email CGPhantom Send a private message to CGPhantom Click to send CGPhantom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CGPhantom's Have/Want ListView CGPhantom's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by WinkyBlitzen:
It's all about incentives, like anything else. Since tickets sell for approximately $.95 cents on the dollar, as long as you make trading your paper cards more economical than that, you could do it directly, but like the above said, it might be more economically feasible to just sell cards for money and buy the tix. It's time vs. money basically. For instance, for me personally, my MODO collection is pretty much complete in terms of any legacy, modern or standard deck I'd want to play, so any tickets gained from tourneys from now on will likely be getting cashed out (aside from spewing some on Cube/RGD this week, and Theros drafts next week) and I'd certainly be willing to trade them for paper cards if over time I could make more money on the cards than selling the tix straight across. If you want to do the legwork yourself, then selling cards for cash and cash for tix is the right way to do it. If you want to incentivize someone else to do the legwork I'd imagine people would be happy to oblige.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm more than willing to do the leg work, as I'd certainly not trade for anything more than $1 per ticket for my cards. As mentioned, I'd just buy the tickets at the asking price, and keep the physical cards for trading against other physical cards. But it's nice to see there might be some room to budge if I did ever decide the trade in my physical cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Base13:
You are wanting to buy tickets for $1 when you can get them on here for less than that. On this same website you can sell your cards for there current cash value more or less. If you think this is not worth your time then don't do it.
You just wanna play then sell your cards to a buy list and get you some tix man.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to short-change myself and sell my cards to a buy list. I was just wondering about how well the physical market trades with the digital.

I'll get my tickets on here if I ever decide to buy in bulk, otherwise I'd just buy them through MTGO, less hassle overall. The 5c difference that might be had is negligible if I'm only buying 20 tickets or so.

Thanks for the input.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League