Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Trade & Value Questions
  Cloudstone Curio

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | price guide | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Cloudstone Curio
evilempire22
posted April 08, 2013 04:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for evilempire22 Click Here to Email evilempire22 Send a private message to evilempire22 Click to send evilempire22 an Instant MessageVisit evilempire22's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View evilempire22's Have/Want ListView evilempire22's Have/Want List
Why the sudden interest in this card?

I got 2 posts today with offers for it. Sold out on SCG @ $8 each...wtf?

--Evil

walkerdog
posted April 08, 2013 05:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by evilempire22:
Why the sudden interest in this card?

I got 2 posts today with offers for it. Sold out on SCG @ $8 each...wtf?

--Evil

the new glimpse of nature variant on the split card for modern.

Heresy19
posted April 08, 2013 05:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Heresy19 Click Here to Email Heresy19 Send a private message to Heresy19 Click to send Heresy19 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Heresy19's Have/Want ListView Heresy19's Have/Want List
What split card?

Edit: Oh gawd! WHAT! UG for a new Glimpse?! I'm so glad I have my U/G elfball with 4x curio on MTGO

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Heresy19 on April 08, 2013]

MasterWolf
posted April 09, 2013 04:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MasterWolf Click Here to Email MasterWolf Send a private message to MasterWolf Click to send MasterWolf an Instant MessageVisit MasterWolf's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MasterWolf's Have/Want ListView MasterWolf's Have/Want List
SCG bought me out.

Lord Crovax
posted April 09, 2013 04:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MasterWolf:
SCG bought me out.

Yea, seems they are avg ~10 now...wonder how high the split card will go, I can see it played in all formats easy.

kourk
posted April 09, 2013 05:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for kourk Click Here to Email kourk Send a private message to kourk Click to send kourk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kourk's Have/Want ListView kourk's Have/Want List
canu explain how the combo works guys?

harbingerofthevoid
posted April 09, 2013 06:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
New Glimpse - When you play a critter, draw.
Curio - When you play a non artifact return something of the same type to your hand.

Burning-Tree Emissary in play. 2 in pool. Cast another Burning-Tree Emissary off that 2. Repeat. draw into grapeshot. Kill with storm.

among others

CubFan81
posted April 09, 2013 08:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CubFan81 Click Here to Email CubFan81 Send a private message to CubFan81 Click to send CubFan81 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harbingerofthevoid:
Curio - When you play a non artifact return something of the same type to your hand.

Burning-Tree Emissary in play. 2 in pool. Cast another Burning-Tree Emissary off that 2. Repeat. draw into grapeshot. Kill with storm.

among others

One note, the wording on Beck triggers when the creature enters the battlefield, not on casting.

Kwas
posted April 09, 2013 12:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kwas Click Here to Email Kwas Send a private message to Kwas Click to send Kwas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Kwas's Have/Want ListView Kwas's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by CubFan81:
One note, the wording on Beck triggers when the creature enters the battlefield, not on casting.

Which actually means that, unlink glimpse, it triggers on tokens!

Koby
posted April 09, 2013 12:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Koby Click Here to Email Koby Send a private message to Koby Click to send Koby an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Additionally, there is zero possibility that you can deck yourself since it's an optional trigger (may). Regardless, Beck//Call is the main driver for Cloudstone Curio raising in value as it's a complimentary component for a Modern Elves combo deck.

marlo213
posted April 09, 2013 01:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:

among others

That just sounds like a pile of cards. If this is what's fueling the current price, I would dump all of my curio immediately

harbingerofthevoid
posted April 09, 2013 05:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by marlo213:
That just sounds like a pile of cards. If this is what's fueling the current price, I would dump all of my curio immediately

Curio only triggers on non-artifact. It would be too easy with ornithopters (and the like).

Since Beck// triggers on creatures (and curio in non-artifact...) you need something to fuel it.

So I guess yeah, its a pile of cards. It's a pile of a dedicated combo. There's a crap ton more that you could do with it. But, that's an easy example of how it works.

Plus if you're going to UG a combo, might as well make is as much like Aluren I guess.

Fueling the current price, sure, spec as always. I need 4 mana in UG and 1 permanent on the board to combo off. Sure, I'll try it.

helpmehelpyou
posted April 09, 2013 08:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for helpmehelpyou Click Here to Email helpmehelpyou Send a private message to helpmehelpyou Click to send helpmehelpyou an Instant MessageVisit helpmehelpyou's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View helpmehelpyou's Have/Want ListView helpmehelpyou's Have/Want List
i have a foil altered signed curio by heather

finally a post i can brag abour one of my cards.. since i dont get to flaunt power and other big stuff like the rest of you.

anyway on topic.. modern has prices all jacked up.
everyone wants to hit the next big thing it seems. i have a feeling ever single modern card semi-playable is going to have its 15 seconds of fame.

mm1983
posted April 10, 2013 05:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:

Curio only triggers on non-artifact. It would be too easy with ornithopters (and the like).

Since Beck// triggers on creatures (and curio in non-artifact...) you need something to fuel it.

So I guess yeah, its a pile of cards. It's a pile of a dedicated combo. There's a crap ton more that you could do with it. But, that's an easy example of how it works.

Plus if you're going to UG a combo, might as well make is as much like Aluren I guess.

Fueling the current price, sure, spec as always. I need 4 mana in UG and 1 permanent on the board to combo off. Sure, I'll try it.

Would this combo work in Legacy using 0 cost Kobolds since you mentioned about not being able to with Ornithopter?

nylarotep
posted April 10, 2013 05:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nylarotep Click Here to Email nylarotep Send a private message to nylarotep Click to send nylarotep an Instant MessageVisit nylarotep's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nylarotep's Have/Want ListView nylarotep's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Would this combo work in Legacy using 0 cost Kobolds since you mentioned about not being able to with Ornithopter?

Yep, that deck is called Cheeri0s

marlo213
posted April 10, 2013 06:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marlo213 Send a private message to marlo213 Click to send marlo213 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marlo213's Have/Want ListView marlo213's Have/Want List
quote:

Not gonna lie buddy, but if a two card 2GG combo like aluren can't even compete in legacy, this wouldn't even make tier 3.

In modern, abrupt decays are everywhere splinter twin and pod are both more consistent, more resilient and require less cards.

With that said, if you still want curios, I will trade you both of mine for cheap

Zeckk
posted April 10, 2013 12:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zeckk Click Here to Email Zeckk Send a private message to Zeckk Click to send Zeckk an Instant MessageVisit Zeckk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Zeckk's Have/Want ListView Zeckk's Have/Want List
quote:

It's suffering from the same problem as the mindcrank + Duskmantle guildmage combo - lack of redundancy, and poor card filtering in modern. Half the reason so many players run kikipod in modern is because it's a fully functional midrange deck with the possibility of an infinite combo. Modern Elfball had consistency issues to begin with, on top of being in a format where lightning bolt is the most played card. I don't really see a fringe variant piece like cloudstone curio living up to the potential, similar to the miracle cards having an effect on scroll rack's price.

Koby
posted April 10, 2013 12:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Koby Click Here to Email Koby Send a private message to Koby Click to send Koby an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Zeckk - that is where I think you're underselling the Elf deck. It's a fully functioning tribal beatdown deck with a combo finish. It will run the a psuedo-GSZ with Summoner's Pact and a win-out-of-nowhere approach with Craterhoof Behemoth.

That is to say: Cloudstone Curio and Beck//Call are not two card combos, but rather useful powerful tools in a deck that is barely at the edge of competitiveness. Adding those tools back into the deck is enough to push the archetype into serious competitive realm.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Koby on April 10, 2013]

Lord Crovax
posted April 10, 2013 12:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Koby:
Zeckk - that is where I think you're underselling the Elf deck. It's a fully functioning tribal beatdown deck with a combo finish. It will run the a psuedo-GSZ with Summoner's Pact and a win-out-of-nowhere approach with Craterhoof Behemoth.

That is to say: Cloudstone Curio and Beck//Call are not two card combos, but rather useful powerful tools in a deck that is barely at the edge of competitiveness. Adding those tools back into the deck is enough to push the archetype into serious competitive realm.

This...

fluffycow
posted April 11, 2013 06:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Koby:

I disagree, I think these will only dilute the deck, these are "cute" tricks that you can't rely on for consistency

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League