General Discussion
  No longer a player (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   No longer a player
MikeWoz
posted December 15, 2020 09:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I found some old Duelist magazines, unopened, from 1996 and 1997. I think I had a free subscription to it and just never bothered to open them.

I see they have cards included, some with booster packs.

I used to be a fanatic about MtG. I had a collection over 40,000 cards dating back to Beta. I used to buy whole crates of the boxes at one time.

Stupid me. Didn't know that they would continue to increase in value. I see a black lotus sold recently for 166k, which I had one in absolutely perfect condition which I won at a tournament (face palm).

So, since I've been out of the market for over twenty four years. Do I open the magazines and then the boosters? Is there anything that could come from the cards? I'm not looking for millions but if I could profit from it a bit I wouldn't be complaining.

I don't want to ruin my chances of making some profit here so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

HMukh20
posted December 15, 2020 10:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for HMukh20 Click Here to Email HMukh20 Send a private message to HMukh20 Click to send HMukh20 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
While I can't comment on whether there's a specific market for sealed copies of the Duelist (including packs), I will say that your best bet for now is keeping everything sealed. There are definitely some valuable cards from sets released in 96-97, but the odds are not in your favor. If profit is your only metric, the safe bet will be to sell the packs sealed. To use the Mirage set as an example, a sealed Booster will sell for $70-75. But there's only one card that is worth more than that. The math is similar for other sets released during that era.

If you're looking to sell, I would look up the price of the sealed pack, then maybe throw it on eBay with a slight premium for being a sealed magazine + pack. I'm sure you'll find some takers.

MikeWoz
posted December 15, 2020 10:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I was sort of thinking the same thing, keep them sealed.

Do you think sell them all together as a set? or sell them individually?

quote:
Originally posted by HMukh20:
While I can't comment on whether there's a specific market for sealed copies of the Duelist (including packs), I will say that your best bet for now is keeping everything sealed. There are definitely some valuable cards from sets released in 96-97, but the odds are not in your favor. If profit is your only metric, the safe bet will be to sell the packs sealed. To use the Mirage set as an example, a sealed Booster will sell for $70-75. But there's only one card that is worth more than that. The math is similar for other sets released during that era.

If you're looking to sell, I would look up the price of the sealed pack, then maybe throw it on eBay with a slight premium for being a sealed magazine + pack. I'm sure you'll find some takers.

HMukh20
posted December 15, 2020 03:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for HMukh20 Click Here to Email HMukh20 Send a private message to HMukh20 Click to send HMukh20 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Can't hurt to try as a set first. But again, I can't really comment on the market for the Magazines. Assuming you only have a few issues, it might just be easier to list them 1 at a time. Which boosters are included?

MikeWoz
posted December 15, 2020 03:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
As follows on the cover of the magazine

Sept 1996 - Gigantic Juzam Djinn Card, Japanese Magic Card, Magic Pro Tour Card

Dec 1996 - German Booster Pack, X Files Card

Feb 1997 - Korean Magic Card

April 1997 - 5th Edition cards, Legend of the 5 Kings Booster Pack

June 1997 - Antiquities card, Dominia Postcards

I have some other magazines but they are packed away and I didn't pull them out yet. I found these on top of a shelf at my parents house, so I grabbed them before they got thrown out.

quote:
Can't hurt to try as a set first. But again, I can't really comment on the market for the Magazines. Assuming you only have a few issues, it might just be easier to list them 1 at a time. Which boosters are included?

MikeWoz
posted December 16, 2020 08:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Good grief.

The prices on these things are beyond my belief. I'm estimating that my collection would have been worth 1.5 or 2 million today.

quote:

tepesh
posted December 17, 2020 09:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tepesh Click Here to Email tepesh Send a private message to tepesh Click to send tepesh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I do not collect anymore either, but I like this topic.
It seems there is only one booster pack of Magic, in the December 1996 Issue. I do not remember well that one particular offering. My bet is on Alliances.
I do remember the loose cards. The Asian cards were black bordered 4th edition commons and the Pro Tour card is a gold-bordered random card from the first Pro Tour set. Someone could want that oversized Djinn, but particularly the Juzam was quite common for the precise reason of being included in a popular magazine. For the Antiquities loose card, I believe both commons and uncommons were included. There is a few valuable uncommons now but I can't remember how the cards were packaged and whether it was possible to peek at them.

Yes, some cards printed before 1995 have crazy values, after that year, it is much less frequent. Not every single card has appreciated since the 90s. See Jester Caps or Balduvian Hordes.

MikeWoz
posted December 17, 2020 04:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. I was going to post all five magazines for $200 as a starting bid in the hope that I could sell them as a set

I wish I would have held my cards, but I got burned out. After collecting them for years, I didn't want to play anymore.

My most notable cards were the black lotus which I won at a competition. The funny thing was that the black lotus was a 3rd place prize back in 1995 and worth only $175. The first place prize was $1000 store credit and booster box of Revised.

I stopped right around the time 4th Edition was released. I sold my entire collection for around $3000+

What shocks the more than anything is that Fallen Empires is expensive now. I recall that Fallen Empires were being sold everywhere. I saw them at gas stations, at Kmart, and at Publix. They were so common they were giving booster packs away with other purchases.

quote:
Originally posted by tepesh:
I do not collect anymore either, but I like this topic.
It seems there is only one booster pack of Magic, in the December 1996 Issue. I do not remember well that one particular offering. My bet is on Alliances.
I do remember the loose cards. The Asian cards were black bordered 4th edition commons and the Pro Tour card is a gold-bordered random card from the first Pro Tour set. Someone could want that oversized Djinn, but particularly the Juzam was quite common for the precise reason of being included in a popular magazine. For the Antiquities loose card, I believe both commons and uncommons were included. There is a few valuable uncommons now but I can't remember how the cards were packaged and whether it was possible to peek at them.

Yes, some cards printed before 1995 have crazy values, after that year, it is much less frequent. Not every single card has appreciated since the 90s. See Jester Caps or Balduvian Hordes.

tepesh
posted December 17, 2020 09:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tepesh Click Here to Email tepesh Send a private message to tepesh Click to send tepesh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MikeWoz:
What shocks the more than anything is that Fallen Empires is expensive now.

Old but not really rare sealed Magic got expensive since about the mid-2010s and that includes Fallen Empires. There seem to be several factors in this, but in short the Internet amplified everything to bizzarre proportions, including the behavior of people buying Magic collectibles in the hope that they will rise in value indefinitely.
Check the Antiquities card if it is possible without unsealing, as if there is a valuable uncommon (low chance) you can offer it as "Sealed Duelist with <antiquities uncommon name>".
The cards in the issue came from the "Antiquities refund program" run by WoTC in 1994 which is another story. So it can easily contain a card not considered valuable by then.

MikeWoz
posted December 18, 2020 04:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Typical of the Internet, always screwing things up (like bitcoin)

I tried to look at the card. It is inside the middle of the magazine and it is snug inside.

quote:
Old but not really rare sealed Magic got expensive since about the mid-2010s and that includes Fallen Empires. There seem to be several factors in this, but in short the Internet amplified everything to bizzarre proportions, including the behavior of people buying Magic collectibles in the hope that they will rise in value indefinitely.
Check the Antiquities card if it is possible without unsealing, as if there is a valuable uncommon (low chance) you can offer it as "Sealed Duelist with <antiquities uncommon name>".
The cards in the issue came from the "Antiquities refund program" run by WoTC in 1994 which is another story. So it can easily contain a card not considered valuable by then.

mm1983
posted December 18, 2020 05:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
You're 3rd place win is an amazing story in itself MikeWoz. Funny how prices of cards were during 93-97 era of magic but you're right, an Unlimited lotus during that time was no more than about $200 and that was seen as being too high in those times.

tepesh
posted December 19, 2020 09:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for tepesh Click Here to Email tepesh Send a private message to tepesh Click to send tepesh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Typical of the Internet, always screwing things up (like bitcoin)

Rumor has it, that these two bubbles are related and people bought Magic using their bitcoin gains.

quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Funny how prices of cards were during 93-97 era of magic

Who knew Magic is going to survive all those gimmicks which destroyed other ccgs, like ultra-rares and holographics cards. No one would believe that in the 90s. Collector confidence was very low mid-90s and there was but a little premium added to prices. In fact, in the case of Alpha (of all things) it didn't work at all: most Alpha cards were not only cheaper than Beta, but also than Unlimited, because you couldn't use Alphas at tournaments.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by tepesh on December 19, 2020]

MikeWoz
posted December 20, 2020 01:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I had heard that about bitcoin and baseball cards and comics, but not MtG

I remember Alpha's not being allowed in tournaments. It was never a card I owned though.

quote:
Rumor has it, that these two bubbles are related and people bought Magic using their bitcoin gains.

Who knew Magic is going to survive all those gimmicks which destroyed other ccgs, like ultra-rares and holographics cards. No one would believe that in the 90s. Collector confidence was very low mid-90s and there was but a little premium added to prices. In fact, in the case of Alpha (of all things) it didn't work at all: most Alpha cards were not only cheaper than Beta, but also than Unlimited, because you couldn't use Alphas at tournaments.

paragondave
posted December 20, 2020 06:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
I had heard that about bitcoin and baseball cards and comics, but not MtG

I remember Alpha's not being allowed in tournaments. It was never a card I owned though.

I never had the card Alpha either but I have many cards from the 1st edition of Magic the Gathering.

And yeah, boy those prices sure went up...

MikeWoz
posted December 20, 2020 02:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The bulk of my collection was Revised, followed by the expansions (Dark, Fallen, Ice). I bought out several collections with Beta, Arabian Nights, Antiquities and Legends, along with buying unopened boxes of those expansions before the value jumped.

I never bought Homelands. or Alliances. I sold my collection about 1998 and by then had stopped playing.

My rough estimate for my collection today, after seeing some of the prices online, would be modestly 1.5 million.

My habit was to take one of every card from the set and preserve it. I recall ordering a case of Ice Ages and opened one box and got the entire set. I took the rest of the case, and held it for a year, then opened one more and sold the rest for a profit.

I think I paid $45 for each box and sold them for $80. Now I see an unopened box is $1000?

quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
I never had the card Alpha either but I have many cards from the 1st edition of Magic the Gathering.

And yeah, boy those prices sure went up...

paragondave
posted December 21, 2020 07:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
I recall ordering a case of Ice Ages and opened one box and got the entire set.

lol, yeah, no you didn't. Ice Age had over 100 rares in the set. You got 36 of them at best in that one box you opened...but cool story bro.

MikeWoz
posted December 21, 2020 08:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
From what I recall a box has 540 cards. Ice age had 383 cards, 121 rare. 121 common, 121 common, the rest land.

When I opened my box, it was at the comic store and I opened the box and then compared it to the check list given to me by the store owner.

I checked off all the cards on the list.

Could the list be wrong? Yes.
Could I get 383 cards out of 540 in one box? Yes.

quote:
lol, yeah, no you didn't. Ice Age had over 100 rares in the set. You got 36 of them at best in that one box you opened...but cool story bro.

paragondave
posted December 21, 2020 09:23 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
From what I recall a box has 540 cards. Ice age had 383 cards, 121 rare. 121 common, 121 common, the rest land.

When I opened my box, it was at the comic store and I opened the box and then compared it to the check list given to me by the store owner.

I checked off all the cards on the list.

Could I get 383 cards out of 540 in one box? Yes.

You got up to 36 of the over 100 rares from the set in that box. Your story has a glaring hole in it and your set is missing at least 64 rares, more like 85 since as you say, Ice Age had 121 rares...I guess you forgot that each Magic booster back then had 1 rare per pack... but you do you, boo. Again, cool story, not quite as cool as before, but still...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on December 21, 2020]

MikeWoz
posted December 21, 2020 09:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My memory serves me wrong then. I have always held that I had a complete set of Ice Age from one box, and I don't recall opening the other boxes. I ended up selling them.

quote:
You got up to 36 of the over 100 rares from the set in that box. Your story has a glaring hole in it and your set is missing at least 64 rares, more like 85 since as you say, Ice Age had 121 rares...I guess you forgot that each Magic booster back then had 1 rare per pack... but you do you, boo. Again, cool story, not quite as cool as before, but still...

paragondave
posted December 21, 2020 10:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:

Could I get 298 of the 383 in the set, out of 540 in one box? Yes.

fixt.

MikeWoz
posted December 21, 2020 08:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yep. Corrected. Thx

I remember I sold all my cards to a friend who started CoolStuffInc. I don't know if he still owns the stores. I haven't seen him in a long time, but I used to joke with him that my collection got his business started.

In fact, that tournament where I won the black lotus for 3rd place, I recall him getting 1st.

quote:
fixt.

tepesh
posted December 22, 2020 01:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tepesh Click Here to Email tepesh Send a private message to tepesh Click to send tepesh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
tournament

Speaking of tournaments, I have also stopped playing about '98 (continued collecting). While, as you do remember, Alphas were banned, it didn't prevent cheating in similar way, when using transparent or no sleeves (the latter was even required by DCI for a time): people put glossy paper Ice Age lands into decks, or for example, the Chinese 4th edition had a different paper as well. Took a while before opaque sleeves were 'invented'. Cheating of all sorts was rampant, including on the 'pro' tour. Fun times!

MikeWoz
posted December 22, 2020 04:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I never got that serious with the tournaments. I did only three of them over a short period of time and we never sleeved anything. It was after I sold my collection that I saw what people were doing to protect their cards, which was a good idea.

BTW - I just read an article about the most complex games in the world. Magic is 2nd behind Go with Chess at 3rd? I was stunned. I didn't realize how complex the game had become, then I saw the number of expansions that have come out since 1998. Then I realized all the different combinations possible.

It seems diluted to me now.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeWoz:
tournament

Speaking of tournaments, I have also stopped playing about '98 (continued collecting). While, as you do remember, Alphas were banned, it didn't prevent cheating in similar way, when using transparent or no sleeves (the latter was even required by DCI for a time): people put glossy paper Ice Age lands into decks, or for example, the Chinese 4th edition had a different paper as well. Took a while before opaque sleeves were 'invented'. Cheating of all sorts was rampant, including on the 'pro' tour. Fun times!

[/QUOTE]

MikeWoz
posted December 22, 2020 08:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWoz Click Here to Email MikeWoz Send a private message to MikeWoz Click to send MikeWoz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've been going through my father's baseball collection and found a lot of rare cards. I have no idea of their rating but I am shocked that many of the cards I've found of Americas Favorite Pastime are valued less than some Magic Cards. I guess it would be supply and demand.

AEther Storm
posted December 23, 2020 01:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
I never got that serious with the tournaments. I did only three of them over a short period of time and we never sleeved anything. It was after I sold my collection that I saw what people were doing to protect their cards, which was a good idea.

BTW - I just read an article about the most complex games in the world. Magic is 2nd behind Go with Chess at 3rd? I was stunned. I didn't realize how complex the game had become, then I saw the number of expansions that have come out since 1998. Then I realized all the different combinations possible.

It seems diluted to me now.

Magic is as complex as you want it to be. You can build a vanilla creature deck or go all out with combo's and interactions. Whatever floats your boat.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League