Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  Hello, everyone! I can't believe this place still exists.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Hello, everyone! I can't believe this place still exists.
meowmix2.0
posted March 30, 2021 12:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for meowmix2.0 Click Here to Email meowmix2.0 Send a private message to meowmix2.0 Click to send meowmix2.0 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've been here in 17 years. I'm 31 now and I created an account here when I was 10.

My mind is absolutely blown that this website is still up, but I am so pleased. I can see my profile still filled out with AIM and ICQ information and an extremely tacky, poorly spelled interests section.

There are messages of me trying to get cards for decks... straight up sending people cash through the mail because PayPal wasn't a thing yet. Now we're onto cryptocurrencies...

Gosh. I'm just so OVERWHELMED with NOSTALGIA.

Thank you, thank you - whoever decided to continue to pay for hosting of all this. Truly made my evening.

All the best,

Meo.

Big Daddy BEAF
posted March 30, 2021 03:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Big Daddy BEAF Click Here to Email Big Daddy BEAF Send a private message to Big Daddy BEAF Click to send Big Daddy BEAF an Instant MessageVisit Big Daddy BEAF's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Big Daddy BEAF's Have/Want ListView Big Daddy BEAF's Have/Want List
This was literally me a couple years ago when I dug all my old cards out to hang out with a friend via magic a few years ago. My old name on here had trades from the early 00's. I remember sending cash through envelops too, the good ol' days.

tepesh
posted March 31, 2021 05:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tepesh Click Here to Email tepesh Send a private message to tepesh Click to send tepesh an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's unfortunate everything here is going to vanish without a trace.
This site is important both as a part of magic history (it used to run a modified Cloister's pricelist software, first one sourced from the Internet, originally created 1994 or so) and now even as a part of Internet history (it still runs the original uBB Perl forum in 2021).

Mr. Ruboonia
posted March 31, 2021 01:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
I remember your AIM handle. hope you’re well. Is there a meow mix 1.0?

meowmix2.0
posted March 31, 2021 06:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for meowmix2.0 Click Here to Email meowmix2.0 Send a private message to meowmix2.0 Click to send meowmix2.0 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tepesh:
It's unfortunate everything here is going to vanish without a trace.
This site is important both as a part of magic history (it used to run a modified Cloister's pricelist software, first one sourced from the Internet, originally created 1994 or so) and now even as a part of Internet history (it still runs the original uBB Perl forum in 2021).

I agree. I wish I could help. I read through some threads and it seems like Leshrac is pretty stubborn which is unfortunate. Doubley-so given that I'm a software engineer. I'd love to help maintain this history and am fully capable of doing so if given the keys to the castle.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Ruboonia:
I remember your AIM handle. hope you’re well. Is there a meow mix 1.0?

I'm flattered someone remembers me.

Hilariously, there is not. This is, in fact, the very first location on the Internet that I established my, now permanent, username. I think I used "Fruitopia30" on Neopets, then created an account here, and then it slowly morphed from "Meowmix2.0" to "Meowmix" to "MeoMix" to "Meo".

I think I named myself Meowmix 2.0 because I loved cats and technology. Not all websites were as sophisticated as MOTL, though, so I frequently found that the period in "2.0" wasn't supported. "Meowmix20" didn't have the same ring to it, so I became "Meowmix" for quite some time. Then, the Internet continued to rise in popularity and, over time, I started running into naming conflicts with existing users. In an effort to reduce username collisions I dropped the "w".

Now I basically always use the shortened version of it, Meo, as my online alias.

It's absolutely absurd to be logged into the very first account I used to establish my online alias!

Valmtg
posted April 02, 2021 05:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Valmtg Click Here to Email Valmtg Send a private message to Valmtg Click to send Valmtg an Instant MessageVisit Valmtg's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It is a part of history, for sure.

Had to go back and double check, started July 1, 2000. So much has changed with Magic, with me, with life.

I'm a pluviophile.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Valmtg on April 02, 2021]

LandDestroyer
posted April 05, 2021 08:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
:: wonders if I'll hit 20 years before the site evaporates ::

Too bad themanaloop evaporated. That was supposed to be a place we'd end up eventually when Ed pulls the plug here but then Keith pulled the plug

ryan2754
posted April 06, 2021 08:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
:: wonders if I'll hit 20 years before the site evaporates ::

Too bad themanaloop evaporated. That was supposed to be a place we'd end up eventually when Ed pulls the plug here but then Keith pulled the plug

Yeah whatever happened with mana loop? I vaguely remember a ton of bots.

LandDestroyer
posted April 14, 2021 06:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ryan2754:
Yeah whatever happened with mana loop? I vaguely remember a ton of bots.

Keith was going through some stuff and then convinced himself there was no interest in his site (which I believe to be inaccurate) so he pulled the plug without talking to any of us about it.

Vegas10
posted April 24, 2021 08:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
Keith was going through some stuff and then convinced himself there was no interest in his site (which I believe to be inaccurate) so he pulled the plug without talking to any of us about it.

How about you start a site?

LandDestroyer
posted April 24, 2021 10:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
How about you start a site?

I wouldn't hold your breath :-p

Goaswerfraiejen
posted April 27, 2021 02:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I learned so much here, mostly from wading into giant fights. I had to educate myself on a lot of subjects to maintain the posting war, and I was even corrected in my beliefs a few times.

I'm sorry to see it all disappear. (And to see most internet fora dying and disappearing along with it. I vastly prefer the forum format/architecture to the stupid FB/Reddit-style layouts. Ugh.)

We really should have ported over to simplemachines or something when we still could. That is, back when there was still a core of people who came here regularly.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Goaswerfraiejen on April 27, 2021]

BoltBait
posted April 29, 2021 09:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for BoltBait Click Here to Email BoltBait Send a private message to BoltBait Click to send BoltBait an Instant MessageVisit BoltBait's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
back when there was still a core of people who came here regularly.

I think the one thing that really killed the site was lack of upkeep by the owners of the site. Once the price guide stopped working and no one could fix it... and once no one added new sets... the whole site just went down hill. The site never went with SSL hosting... the list goes on and on.

All of us mods really felt left out. We have no power to do any of the upkeep.

When Leshrac sold the site to nouveaux... he had big plans and we mods even got to test some new forum software... nothing ever came of it.

Then, when I disagreed with how he was managing the site, he called me a "troll" and told me that he didn't have time to deal with me and to go handle some BTA cases... He doesn't even know that I'm not a BTA moderator... sigh...

I pretty much lost interest in helping out around here when he pulled that carp.

Dr_Tongue
posted April 30, 2021 07:33 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dr_Tongue Click Here to Email Dr_Tongue Send a private message to Dr_Tongue Click to send Dr_Tongue an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dr_Tongue's Have/Want ListView Dr_Tongue's Have/Want List
Sad to hear that, Boltbait, was hoping this place was still active, but it looks about as exciting as seeing Karn the Great and Mycosynth Lattice by turn 2. Dead.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Dr_Tongue on April 30, 2021]

LandDestroyer
posted April 30, 2021 08:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BoltBait:
I think the one thing that really killed the site was lack of upkeep by the owners of the site. Once the price guide stopped working and no one could fix it... and once no one added new sets... the whole site just went down hill. The site never went with SSL hosting... the list goes on and on.

All of us mods really felt left out. We have no power to do any of the upkeep.

When Leshrac sold the site to nouveaux... he had big plans and we mods even got to test some new forum software... nothing ever came of it.

Then, when I disagreed with how he was managing the site, he called me a "troll" and told me that he didn't have time to deal with me and to go handle some BTA cases... He doesn't even know that I'm not a BTA moderator... sigh...

I pretty much lost interest in helping out around here when he pulled that carp.

Wait, Ed actually sold it to Dean? I thought he just formed some sort of partnership and made Dean an admin; I didn't know that. From what I'd heard several people had offered to buy it and had been rebuffed.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted May 02, 2021 09:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah, I remember.

quote:

Ugh, I had no idea, I'm sorry.

FWIW, I'd be happy to pay for us to port over to a new forum using SimpleMachines (the cost is pretty trivial), even at this late date. The only question is whether there'd be any point at all.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

Mr. Ruboonia
posted May 02, 2021 06:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Ruboonia Click Here to Email Mr. Ruboonia Send a private message to Mr. Ruboonia Click to send Mr. Ruboonia an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want ListView Mr. Ruboonia's Have/Want List
It gives me such great pleasure to “up” my H/W list, despite how useless it is these days. This year marks my 20th year on MOTL. I used to stay up until 3 am shooting the **** on here and apprentice IRC channels.

iccarus
posted May 04, 2021 12:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wait...what about Ben?

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

LandDestroyer
posted May 06, 2021 07:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So, two different players have been generous enough to just straight up mail me Grim Lavamancer misprints for free this year just to contribute to the project I've put so much effort into.

Trying their best to keep my faith in humanity above zero over the past year. <3

One was a crazy jumpstart misprint and the one i got today was one of the PDL back ink errors

AEther Storm
posted May 26, 2021 01:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goaswerfraiejen:
I learned so much here, mostly from wading into giant fights. I had to educate myself on a lot of subjects to maintain the posting war, and I was even corrected in my beliefs a few times.

I'm sorry to see it all disappear. (And to see most internet fora dying and disappearing along with it. I vastly prefer the forum format/architecture to the stupid FB/Reddit-style layouts. Ugh.)

We really should have ported over to simplemachines or something when we still could. That is, back when there was still a core of people who came here regularly.

This.

The site helped me grow up in certain ways. I miss those days of opening your mailbox and finding 5 envelopes of cards, feeling like a kid in a candystore.

I still keep my fingers crossed that one day they'll see the light and sell this to someone who actually gives a damn.

So, the current owner of this site is Dean, not Ed anymore?

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League