Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  A safe for magic cards?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   A safe for magic cards?
LandDestroyer
posted November 18, 2015 10:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Hey. I'm interested in getting a safe that I'm actually going to use as the one I currently have isn't able to fit much in it.

I'd love to be able to fit 2 of those big 5 row boxes in one with a little extra space.

Would love to hear about the saves you all use and pros/cons. If you can provide links to good suggestions before black friday that'd be bonus points

I'm guessing without measuring that means it needs to be at least
9 inches tall
20 inches deep
18 inches wide

[Edited 1 times, lastly by LandDestroyer on November 18, 2015]

Volcanon
posted November 18, 2015 02:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Pro: Your cards are now in a safe
Cons: Your cards are in a safe, whose password you forgot, or it has those annoying spinny things that don't work so good. And a thief stole your safe.

slurpee
posted November 18, 2015 02:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
Depends on why you want it. Is it for theft? After watching enough of the show storagewars I have learned one thing. If you get a safe, lift it above your head or on top of a building and drop it....hence safes of that size are worthless.

If it is for fire, water it also is worthless. While the safe may be fireproof, your cards will get smoke damaged and there is a fire retartant foam they use in safes. In the hot fire the foam melts and then congeals onto things after it gets cooler. In Texas people have gun safes, fire happens the foam has congealed/melted onto the gun and renders it useless anyways...

LandDestroyer
posted November 18, 2015 03:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
Well the idea was keeping cards safer within my home in case anyone who knows about my collection got desperate enough to break in with the added benefit of protection for natural disasters and/or fire.

So far you guys aren't making me very optimistic

thror
posted November 18, 2015 04:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
get insurance. cheaper, easier, and now they arent in a safe screaming 'im valuable, steal me'.

<crypticfreak1> jazaray got ahold of me. he also had a hard time finding the email.
<Jazaray> She...

LandDestroyer
posted November 18, 2015 05:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
get insurance. cheaper, easier, and now they arent in a safe screaming 'im valuable, steal me'.

Haha. While that's fair and I do plan on doing that also exploring other options.

While we're on that topic what all insurance plans do you all use/like?

I called state farm and they were trying to say they would only insure sets and I'm like well that would be dumb since most people don't have complete sets etc. I think I'm just going to have to provide an itemized list of the most expensive cards, conditions, and maybe link to SCG on valuations but dunno. This has been on my to do list too long. How do you all have your stuff insured?

stab107
posted November 18, 2015 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I did some research a few years back and there are a number of options for folks in the US that are fairly cheap. Look around, see if you find something you like.

I added a rider to my insurance (they refer to it as "scheduling") that was pretty reasonable. Interesting thing to note is it doesn't matter if they are in your home, in a safe at home or in a safe deposit box in a bank, the premium is the same. I recently put my Power in a safe deposit box because I can't justify having something that portable and that valuable in my home.

I never plan to play with my power so it might as well be in a vault somewhere.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by stab107 on November 18, 2015]

paragondave
posted November 18, 2015 09:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Buy 'The Teachings of Buddha' and read it.

You'll sleep much better even if your cards burn or get stolen.

It's only stuff man and you can't take any of it with you.

AEther Storm
posted November 18, 2015 11:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
I never plan to play with my power so it might as well be in a vault somewhere.

..then..why do you have those expensive cards? You don't use them, you can't show them if they're somewhere else in a safe. Why not sell them?

quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
And a thief stole your safe.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

skizzikmonger
posted November 19, 2015 12:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you want a safe, get a large one, not a small one that someone can pick up. A gun safe would be a good option, because they're large & difficult to move without a two wheeler. The downside is they're expensive.

slurpee
posted November 19, 2015 10:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
Insurance is going to be tough these days. Insurance companies have gotten burned on trading cards and thus in the last 5 years have put exclusions and limits on how they will pay. I would say you might try companies and just ask the one question about trading cards. If you rent and not own it could be quite tough to find something these days. The rider is probably collectibles and the coverage is worldwide. Won't cover breakage or damage. Most companies will require an appraisal or receipt for a card. You won't be able to cover for future value increases.

hilikuS
posted November 19, 2015 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
This sounds kind of stupid, but put them in a big box of cards filled with something else. Then remember where you hid them.

I have a lot of cards (well maybe not that many, but about 250,000 last I counted), and that seems to be the best bet. Other than putting them in a deposit box like previously mentioned.

Then it's like, yeah I got a Timetwister... SOMEWHERE in this room. I suppose you could steal everything, but it would take you approximately 2 and a half hours to take all the boxes.

LandDestroyer
posted November 19, 2015 01:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
This sounds kind of stupid, but put them in a big box of cards filled with something else. Then remember where you hid them.

I have a lot of cards (well maybe not that many, but about 250,000 last I counted), and that seems to be the best bet. Other than putting them in a deposit box like previously mentioned.

Then it's like, yeah I got a Timetwister... SOMEWHERE in this room. I suppose you could steal everything, but it would take you approximately 2 and a half hours to take all the boxes.

heh i imagine all these boxes laying around your office:

* clothes
* paperwork
* definitely doesn't have a timetwister in it
* photos

stab107
posted November 19, 2015 04:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AEther Storm:
..then..why do you have those expensive cards? You don't use them, you can't show them if they're somewhere else in a safe. Why not sell them?

Why sell now? There is no indication that the price will go down, only signs that the prices will continue to rise slowly over time. The further away we mover from 1993, the better it is for P9 value.

I can sell them one day to pad my retirement fund .

As for why I actually have them, I wanted to own one of every card.

paragondave
posted November 19, 2015 10:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
<------guilty.

quote:

AEther Storm
posted November 19, 2015 11:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
quote:
Why sell now? There is no indication that the price will go down, only signs that the prices will continue to rise slowly over time. The further away we mover from 1993, the better it is for P9 value.

I can sell them one day to pad my retirement fund .

I know that, but no one knows when the stocks crash of course. I hope it works out for you . Having investments are important. I doubled the money on my Lotus when I sold it 3 years ago.

I have owned all copies and played with 8 of them. I had a blast. A whole new world opens up when you get to play Land-Mox-Mox-Lotus-Morphling (yes, I played MUC Smmenendian or something style) turn 1.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

stab107
posted November 20, 2015 05:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Absolutely, playing with cards like that is a blast. We have a powered Cube made of proxies, so we get our fill there .

hilikuS
posted November 20, 2015 05:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
heh i imagine all these boxes laying around your office:

* clothes
* paperwork
* definitely doesn't have a timetwister in it
* photos

Haha. I have a room just for Magic stuff. So it's totally in there.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League