Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  New MOTL user wanting to sell stuff

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New MOTL user wanting to sell stuff
Totori
posted August 15, 2014 12:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Totori Send a private message to Totori Click to send Totori an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have a couple questions. Wasn't sure where to post it... this was the closest to it.

I'm an old magic player and have a very large collection of things ranging $5 - $700. I'm looking to turn it all into cash now. I was sent to these forums saying it would be a good place to sell.

I'm familiar with the site and understand the ref system- that said, I am not willing to send first unless it's an extremely well known user. I know that's somewhat unreasonable, but I'd rather not sell them than risk the whole scamming thing.

Anyway, I have a couple questions:

1 - Will I have any success selling here with the above statement? I can provide personalized scans/pictures of every card.

2 - What price does MOTL go by? Is there an 'easy' way to price out my cards? I currently have most of them on Deckbox, which I understand to be a lot higher than I'd expect to get for them.

3 - Paypal question: If I'm paid first through PayPal, is there any way the person I send the cards to can have the charge reversed?

Thanks.

Vegas10
posted August 15, 2014 12:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
It really depends on what you are going to consider a known user? no one is going to pay you first for the most parts unless they have very few refs or the deal is small. For the same reason you are worried about scams so would most users here be leary of buying from someone a bunch of expensive cards when you have no refs here.

Totori
posted August 15, 2014 12:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Totori Send a private message to Totori Click to send Totori an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the response! Fair reply.

Perhaps the best bet is to just start with small stuff until I have some references?

iccarus
posted August 15, 2014 06:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Totori:

Perhaps the best bet is to just start with small stuff until I have some references?

You are typically going to have trouble getting someone to pay first until you hit a couple dozen refs, FYI. Even then, some people are going to be skeptical still.

Add in the fact that you are Canada, and things get a little rougher with your ability to do small deals outside of your country, given the high cost of sending mail with tracking.

I would seriously familiarize yourself with the liability for packages on this site before you jump in. Make sure you understand fully what you are responsible for doing as a seller, otherwise it's just going to burn you.

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

chaos021
posted August 15, 2014 09:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:

IMO, a new member would have to complete many sales over time before I'd even think about sending that person a considerable sum of money for anything.

My Sale Thread

paragondave
posted August 16, 2014 03:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
1. Negotiate with and sell to a well established, well known member with current refs. Plan to send first. Regain a little faith in humanity.

2. TCGplayer, Ebay and common sense.

3. Not if you do 1 and 2.

You could also consider using a mod or a well established, well known member of the MOTL community on this list to act as a 3rd party to help you out;

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/016986.html

Totori
posted August 16, 2014 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Totori Send a private message to Totori Click to send Totori an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
1. Negotiate with and sell to a well established, well known member with current refs. Plan to send first. Regain a little faith in humanity.

2. TCGplayer, Ebay and common sense.

3. Not if you do 1 and 2.

You could also consider using a mod or a well established, well known member of the MOTL community on this list to act as a 3rd party to help you out;

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/016986.html

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is eBay a safe way to go? I've heard horror stories of buyers claiming they never got anything and eBay always siding with them.

paragondave
posted August 16, 2014 05:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is eBay a safe way to go? I've heard horror stories of buyers claiming they never got anything and eBay always siding with them.

Ebay can be a good way to sell your cards as long as you take precautions to protect yourself (tracking and insurance) but you will pay a percentage of your sale price to ebay. The precautions to protect yourself will cost you money regardless of where you sell online.

Totori
posted August 16, 2014 07:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Totori Send a private message to Totori Click to send Totori an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Thanks again!

Also, jesus christ. I just went to check pricing. For me to use delivery confirmation is $25 to ship an envelop to the states.

I guess it can't hurt to make a thread anyway and hope I get someone known enough here where I'm willing to send first.

Jubert39
posted August 20, 2014 06:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jubert39 Click Here to Email Jubert39 Send a private message to Jubert39 Click to send Jubert39 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Jubert39's Have/Want ListView Jubert39's Have/Want List
i recommend 3rd party.
If u dont need the money right now, just keep small trades. a LOT of small trades to get refs. May take you some time to get there, but at least your collection should go UP in value which you can sell for more later. Tahts the beauty or magic, the longer you hold out, the more its usually worth (assuming you have vintage/legacy type cards)

Volcanon
posted August 20, 2014 03:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Where in Canada are you? It's a big place.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League