Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  Take It To The People - Discussion of viability.

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Take It To The People - Discussion of viability.
Jazaray
posted August 08, 2014 02:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Alright, so there have been many instances of people PMing and Emailing the Moderating staff about trade issues and policies. Of course, some of them are not happy with our interpretation of the rules and/or policies, nor with our decisions.

My proposal is this:

A series of threads, "Take It To The People". Each one would have it's own case, such as "Take It To The People -- XXX Policy" or whatnot. Within the thread, discussion from our members would be encouraged, what they feel the end result should be, what they feel went wrong in the process. Everything. Disagreement is fine but personal attacks and unruly behavior will not be tolerated and will be dealt with swiftly.

How it would go:

If someone, who hasn't posted their case in the BTA, disagrees with a Mod decision about a trade in question, they can contact a Mod and that Mod will post about it in a new thread series and see what the members think. We would keep all parties in question anonymous and the Mod will post about the situation as unbiased as possible. The final decision will still be up to the Mods, but we will take into consideration all that is discussed and perhaps new rules can be made and older rules can be clarified by this process.

What do you think? Be honest, this is my idea, but I want cold, hard, blunt opinions. You won't hurt my feelings, I promise.

I'm going to be posting the first case, which will run alongside this thread, so we can see how it will work, and what issues may arise and can discuss it in progress.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Those who refer to me as "he" WILL be smacked. ;)

paragondave
posted August 08, 2014 05:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Cold, hard and blunt opinions, that's my jam!

This may end in a fiery ball of death but I like what you're trying to do here. You know I'll be making popcorn and probably throwing some too.

Balian Baron of Ibelan
posted August 08, 2014 06:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Balian Baron of Ibelan Click Here to Email Balian Baron of Ibelan Send a private message to Balian Baron of Ibelan Click to send Balian Baron of Ibelan an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want ListView Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want List
I'm down. Lets see what the people have to say....

Iluvhyppies
posted August 09, 2014 09:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Iluvhyppies Click Here to Email Iluvhyppies Send a private message to Iluvhyppies Click to send Iluvhyppies an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a great idea. Though I'll probably just read the thread and not reply. It has been more than 10 years since I've even owned a magic card, and longer since I've traded on here.

Jazaray
posted August 09, 2014 10:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The first case will be posted on Monday. I'd really like everyone's opinions on this!

How long should each case run, do you think? Do you think people would actually weigh in with their opinions?

All cases will be anonymous. The people who are involved in the case will not be permitted to identify themselves, but they will be allowed to weigh in their opinions, as long as those opinions do not reveal them as the subjects in question.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

JoshSherman
posted August 09, 2014 10:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JoshSherman Click Here to Email JoshSherman Send a private message to JoshSherman Click to send JoshSherman an Instant MessageVisit JoshSherman's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View JoshSherman's Trade Auction or SaleView JoshSherman's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm not sure how many people that don't already do this will be interested, but I'll give it a go.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a public appeal process for BTA rulings in general. You need to be very clear that it will take a LOT of evidence/argument to overturn a ruling.

Jazaray
posted August 09, 2014 10:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshSherman:
I'm not sure how many people that don't already do this will be interested, but I'll give it a go.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a public appeal process for BTA rulings in general. You need to be very clear that it will take a LOT of evidence/argument to overturn a ruling.

You're the second person to say something about the BTA. This actually has nothing to do with the BTA. If you've already posted the case in the BTA you cannot go through this process.

This is solely for cases that have NOT been posted on the BTA.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

isetfire
posted August 09, 2014 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for isetfire Click Here to Email isetfire Send a private message to isetfire Click to send isetfire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
Cold, hard and blunt opinions, that's my jam!

This may end in a fiery ball of death but I like what you're trying to do here. You know I'll be making popcorn and probably throwing some too.

Yup. I don't see these threads ending well...

chaos021
posted August 10, 2014 10:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
It's going to turn into a BTA flame fest. I know you're not gonna talk about BTA cases, but that's where it will go.

My Sale Thread

hilikuS
posted August 11, 2014 06:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
My suggestion would be to send out an email to traders, so not just the regulars on the GD and MD are involved.

So basically the stuff that happened with Hoosk, but formalized? It's hard to keep things anonymous in cases where there's a problem. I mean, everybody can view the BTA and be like... oh it's this case. I'm fine with it though. It'll come out on the forums anyway.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on August 11, 2014]

Jazaray
posted August 11, 2014 11:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
My suggestion would be to send out an email to traders, so not just the regulars on the GD and MD are involved.

So basically the stuff that happened with Hoosk, but formalized? It's hard to keep things anonymous in cases where there's a problem. I mean, everybody can view the BTA and be like... oh it's this case. I'm fine with it though. It'll come out on the forums anyway.

I will say it again. This is NOT for cases that have an open BTA already. This is for cases that DO NOT have an open BTA. If you've already opened a BTA case, you CAN NOT take part in this series.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

Jazaray
posted August 12, 2014 02:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Now that we've had a day to see how this works a bit, are there any suggestions so far?

Do you think the mods should weigh in their opinions, or would that influence others too much?

How long do you think each case should run?

Nder has posted more information on the case, do you think this was this a good idea? Was I too vague at the start?

What do you think about posting the trade negotiations? Was it helpful?

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

paragondave
posted August 12, 2014 03:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Personally, I don't see how it does any damage getting the community to voice their opinions especially if the mods care enough to ask for it. There are obviously potential pitfalls but if we are all aware of them, we can be quick to put an end to them if/when they appear.

Hammer333
posted August 12, 2014 06:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hammer333 Click Here to Email Hammer333 Send a private message to Hammer333 Click to send Hammer333 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Hammer333's Have/Want ListView Hammer333's Have/Want List
I love this idea. I think it could potentially end some disputes and maybe people could see what goes on "behind the scenes."

tragicmagic
posted August 12, 2014 11:05 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for tragicmagic Click Here to Email tragicmagic Send a private message to tragicmagic Click to send tragicmagic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View tragicmagic's Trade Auction or SaleView tragicmagic's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:
Now that we've had a day to see how this works a bit, are there any suggestions so far?

Do you think the mods should weigh in their opinions, or would that influence others too much?

Nder has posted more information on the case, do you think this was this a good idea? Was I too vague at the start?

Thanks,
Jazaray

I can see moderator's opinions... or anyone with a reputation for that matter influencing how others feel. That's just human nature.

For length of time, we should look at how long disputes typically take with eBay, since that's an established organization and then maybe speeding it up by 15% or so since Motl is typically just Magic cards, not a broad stream of different product.

chaos021
posted August 12, 2014 02:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:

See below.

quote:

I think other than pointing out current rules or inaccuracies, I would leave mod opinion out of the thread if the point is to get feedback from the community at-large. As someone said (and I believe), it would influence others' opinions one way or the other.

quote:

I would play it by ear. By that, I mean let it run until no one can think of anything new or insightful to bring to the discussion. If you absolutely need a time limit, I would say 1 week tops.

quote:

The information nderdog provided actually makes a huge difference. Otherwise, we're left to assume some things, which would be based on each member's experience. I would say you were a bit vague just based on this particular example. It definitely helps to post details of the entire exchange between the parties.

quote:

Absolutely needed. Yes.

quote:
Thanks,
Jazaray

My Sale Thread

[Edited 2 times, lastly by chaos021 on August 12, 2014]

nderdog
posted August 12, 2014 04:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
The information nderdog provided actually makes a huge difference. Otherwise, we're left to assume some things, which would be based on each member's experience.

Good to know! I tried to find a balance between too little info that would make it hard to make a decent decision and too much information that may tip off some people to who may have been involved in the deal. Sounds like we hit at least relatively close to the mark.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League