Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  So there's a new games and comic shop... (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   So there's a new games and comic shop...
Truman
posted March 26, 2014 10:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
Hypothetical: There's a new games and comics shop that's opened up in your area. You're about to go in for the first time. What are the things you'd expect to find inside, and more importantly (assuming a realistic possibility) what would you want to find inside that you wouldn't?

oneofchaos
posted March 26, 2014 10:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman:
Hypothetical: There's a new games and comics shop that's opened up in your area. You're about to go in for the first time. What are the things you'd expect to find inside, and more importantly (assuming a realistic possibility) what would you want to find inside that you wouldn't?

Most likely comics and games would be inside would be my guess.

Edit: In reality, probably magic for sure. Possibly yugioh or pokemon if those haven't died off yet. The more popular minis games? Some DND books. Some kickstarted game that sucks and will only be around for a week. Some comics. Unhealthy processed food and a soda fridge.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by oneofchaos on March 26, 2014]

Volcanon
posted March 26, 2014 11:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd expect:

* A cooler full of butter.
* Free beer (and good beer, not crap like Bud).
* Lower prices than ebay.
* Free giveaways of money rares every day.
* Free drafts of Modern Masters and Urza's Saga.
* Open 24 hours.

chaos021
posted March 26, 2014 11:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
I'd expect:

* A cooler full of butter.
* Free beer (and good beer, not crap like Bud).
* Lower prices than ebay.
* Free giveaways of money rares every day.
* Free drafts of Modern Masters and Urza's Saga.
* Open 24 hours.

Butter??? Do I want to know why?

My Sale Thread

Truman
posted March 26, 2014 12:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
While I am always have an appreciation for snark, I am pretty serious on this one. I'm currently prepping a retail location and would like to get some input on how to (realistically) make this the best store it can be. I want this place to be as close to "The Perfect Store" as it can be. So far, the only novel idea that I personally have come up with is to sell LEGO sets and minifigs that fit with our existing product lines (think the Marvel, DC, Star Wars, LotR lines). The thing is, I'm sure there are other things that would go well, I just know I'm not smart enough to come up with them. I'm hoping maybe someone here is.

OGB
posted March 26, 2014 01:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for OGB Click Here to Email OGB Send a private message to OGB Click to send OGB an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
While I am always have an appreciation for snark, I am pretty serious on this one. I'm currently prepping a retail location and would like to get some input on how to (realistically) make this the best store it can be. I want this place to be as close to "The Perfect Store" as it can be. So far, the only novel idea that I personally have come up with is to sell LEGO sets and minifigs that fit with our existing product lines (think the Marvel, DC, Star Wars, LotR lines). The thing is, I'm sure there are other things that would go well, I just know I'm not smart enough to come up with them. I'm hoping maybe someone here is.

I know this will sound rude and it's not meant to be:

Then why open a store? Shouldn't your business model have been solidified before you closed on a retail space?

http://www.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/016901.html

psrex
posted March 26, 2014 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The two things that I wish my LGS had are a place to play where you don't feel like you're in the way of people looking at products, and some decent folding chairs. It would be great to have a clean bathroom as well, but that's probably asking for too much.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by psrex on March 26, 2014]

oneofchaos
posted March 26, 2014 01:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

I gave you both snark and serious. I wanted to cover both bases, because you never know.

Esper3k
posted March 26, 2014 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Esper3k Click Here to Email Esper3k Send a private message to Esper3k Click to send Esper3k an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In general:

1) Courteous and knowledgeable staff.
2) A clean, organized, and well-lit store.
3) A good stock of merchandise at reasonable prices.

Treat your store like a business as opposed to a clubhouse for your friends (I see many store owners make this mistake).

Truman
posted March 26, 2014 01:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by OGB:
I know this will sound rude and it's not meant to be:

Then why open a store? Shouldn't your business model have been solidified before you closed on a retail space?

Does not sound rude at all. We've got a business plan, an area that is under-served for most of our product lines, and in general a fairly solid outlook (if we didn't, we wouldn't be opening). That being said, if there's something else that we can do that will either make our store more inviting for people or a product line that we can add to make money, I want to find it. I've asked this question numerous places over the last year or so, and will continue to ask it even after we open, because you never know who will have a fantastic idea that will make money and if you're not constantly trying to improve as a business you're not doing it right.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Truman on March 26, 2014]

speechjew
posted March 26, 2014 02:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for speechjew Click Here to Email speechjew Send a private message to speechjew Click to send speechjew an Instant MessageVisit speechjew's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
board game demos.

I'll go to a game shop and just walk around, and I'll see dozens and dozens of board games just sitting there with lots of dust on top.

I'm not going to spend $40 on a game just to see if I'll like it.

Random box minifigs.

For your FMN area - chairs with some padding. Preferably a porous fabric, so you can febreeze that **** the next day.

And honestly, good sets of traditional decks of playing cards. Like KEM or Copags. And maybe some poker accessories. I've lost decks before, and let me tell you, once you've played with Copags, you'll never go back.

thror
posted March 26, 2014 02:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
yea, i can imagine there being a nice niche market for poker accessories. dice would be good too.

if you're actively looking to keep people IN the store for a long time, food, seating, and restrooms are insane important. like someone else said, i really dont enjoy being seated in front of merchandise. and if you're selling food and drink, make sure to have a trash can in plain view. possibly a recycling bin for cans too.

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep
<KIP_NZ> we kiwi's like our sheep

Volcanon
posted March 26, 2014 02:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sigh, fine:
* Board games. Lots of them. Be willing to order stuff in, too. Have nights where people can play their games or your demo games so they can try stuff out before paying for it.
* RPG books.
* Look into the local laws about serving fresh food. If you can, sell stuff like burgers and hot dogs, etc.
* Food. It's a moneymaker for most shops (10 cents for a can of coke, sell it for a buck). But you might get better attendance to sell the coke dirt cheap so people go to the "cheap food shop" and then pay more on everything else.
* Have singles even of weird old cards. Sapphire Charm is an ancient mirage common that's now playable. Maybe you can buy some guy's old collection or something.
* Have tons of singles. Bulk rares are basically free if you're in business and every so often something terrible like blazing shoal becomes valuable.
* Try to run lots of events on times other than just the weekend and friday night.
* For magic, stock stuff shops don't have like old packs. Just don't price them too high. Place here has had a Chinese apocalypse box for ten years that they are asking way too much for.
* If you don't want your attendance in August to suck, don't run M15 draft. It's the same thing every year and that thing is boring.
* Most shops seem to sell as much of everything as they can. Magic players are stingy. Sports card collectors are more willing to drop $500 on a box of shiney shine jersey cards while mtg players will whine about $3.50 packs. RPG books are $40 a pop and you need like six of them to do anything interesting. On the other hand, Amazon. Try and give them a reason to support you.

Truman
posted March 26, 2014 03:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Truman Click Here to Email Truman Send a private message to Truman Click to send Truman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Truman's Have/Want ListView Truman's Have/Want List
First off, thank you to everyone so far. I had thought about having things like chess sets and cribbage boards and regular playing cards, but it didn't even dawn on me to have poker decks and chips and such.

We are planning on having a freezer with microwavable stuff and are in the process of getting all the legal stuff taken care of to do so. We're also planning on having a Kurieg machine with K-cups on site for the coffee drinkers. Also soda, chips, candy, and other snacks for people are on the menu, so to speak.

Also included in our initial product lines are geek/sci fi/pop culture apparel, Sideshow Collectibles, toys, RPG books, dice, and little things like superhero keychains and other little impulse buy items.

As for events, we're initially looking at something like this:

Mon - Competitive Magic Night/Mini's & Clix
Tue - D&D Delve Night/RPG night
Wed - Magic Draft Night/New Comics Day
Thu - Board Game Night
Fri - FNM (obviously)
Sat - YGO/Pokemons
Sun - All day EDH

Obviously all those dates can be moved to make it the most convenient for our customer base, but it's a starting point.

Volcanon, all great suggestions (esp the butter, good to make sure the card sleeves don't stick together), and we'll be doing just about everything you suggested. Unfortunately for us, there are a couple of established and fairly good sports card and memorabilia places near us that prelude that option. Also video games are out, the place we are opening at has a new/used video game store right next door.

Keep the ideas coming, I want to make this place the envy of everyone who could even think of classifying themselves as a gamer or a geek.

psrex
posted March 26, 2014 03:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If your store is anything like mine, attendance on the weekend for anything other than a prerelease is horrible. I would find a way to work in EDH night on a weekday and leave the weekend for player organized events. EDH is by far the most popular format at my LGS. A lot of people have Standard decks, but everyone has at least one EDH deck, and almost every time I go in there is at least one game of EDH going on.

Make sure to post your events online (Facebook or your own forums), and make it clear to people when they can schedule their own events. We've had NetRunner, Cthulu CCG and others appear because people have organized on the forums and started running the events on their own. It helps people feel invested in the store if they have some say in what events are going on.

ogre
posted March 26, 2014 04:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
-Adequate seating and space for players
-Events run on time (keeps the peace)
-A buy list of cards (helps people to spend more money at the store in some instances)
-An overhead projector on an open spot of the wall for displaying pairings (makes it much easier to see who they play as opposed to having 2-3 dozen people, of whom are not all in prime physical condition, run to a confined area to look at a piece of paper).
-.25 cent clementines or banana's (encourage healthy living )

Think one of my favorite places to play was hobbytown when it was still open. Prize support was given out in store credit so you could get packs of cards or save up and get a remote controlled car. If there is a hobbytown near you, it might be worth checking out to get some more ideas as to what you could sell in the store.

Hope this helps and only the best,
Jesse

Volcanon
posted March 26, 2014 10:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ogre:
-Adequate seating and space for players
-Events run on time (keeps the peace)
-A buy list of cards (helps people to spend more money at the store in some instances)
-An overhead projector on an open spot of the wall for displaying pairings (makes it much easier to see who they play as opposed to having 2-3 dozen people, of whom are not all in prime physical condition, run to a confined area to look at a piece of paper).
-.25 cent clementines or banana's (encourage healthy living )

Think one of my favorite places to play was hobbytown when it was still open. Prize support was given out in store credit so you could get packs of cards or save up and get a remote controlled car. If there is a hobbytown near you, it might be worth checking out to get some more ideas as to what you could sell in the store.

Hope this helps and only the best,
Jesse

Actually yeah, sell fruit. It's usually tastier than junk food like cheap pizza. I'd buy bananas or apples or whatever.

stab107
posted March 27, 2014 04:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I am going to back up ogre and volc here, sell fruit and if possible small packs of vegetables. One thing that has always bothered me about game stores is the abundance of sodas and junk food. Make sure you sell bottled water too.

hilikuS
posted March 27, 2014 06:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
For me it would go like this (in no particular order):

A solid looking store front. Like, cases with some stuff, shelves with stuff, prices on stuff. Booster packs from the last few current sets. I play Hero Clix, so I'd love to see Clix being played there.

A clean play area.

As others have said, board games, other card games like Munchkin/Fluxx. Legendary is pretty fun.

Have cans of soda or other beverages. If you can swing a deal with a local eatery, that'd be sweet. Maybe pizza or something to order during events.

A calendar with your upcoming events. Store hours posted on the door or somewhere that I'll see them.

Courteous staff is a good one too. A friend of mine always visits all the stores in the state because he drives everywhere for work. So we'll go visit some of them on the weekends. If we both leave and go, hey these guys were really cool, it's a pleasant experience. I mean, I can't expect people to be overly courteous, give stuff away and throw discounts galore, but you know, be cool.

My biggest thing is prices. A lot of shops here use SCG, which is probably fine. Being a member of MOTL makes me not want to buy those cards unless I absolutely have to, but it's not something that leaves a sour taste in my mouth or anything. I guess my point here is to be as strict as SCG if you're using it. They grade cards strictly, so don't just like look up their NM/M price and call your stuff that if it's SP or MP. Most people don't seem to mind that sort of thing, because shops here do it, but if you do the math, it's strictly worse than just buying from SCG. Trade your gas costs for the price of shipping. If you take things in at SCG buylist, I'd suggest giving the same deals as they do. They give a bonus from their price in credit.

I don't want you to seem like I'm being a prick here, but that's what I see in other stores that I dislike. To me SCG is the high price on cards. Buying played cards at SCG NM price is essentially higher. I mean, at the end of the day, if you're about as good as they are with your singles, you're doing the customers a solid.

The stores that we've been to that are really cool about stuff are the ones I'm excited to go back to.

oneofchaos
posted March 27, 2014 07:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
One thing I gotta say is that a friend and I have a hobby of buying all the cards out of the shop that about to go nuts before they update their SCG prices. For your sake, try to get somebody tracking that better.

hilikuS
posted March 27, 2014 11:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Haha yes, try not to get scammed.

oneofchaos
posted March 27, 2014 11:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Haha yes, try not to get scammed.

Not exactly "scammed", but basically have somebody trying to watch for the spec buys. It's too easy being BM store and getting hosed by them.

JayC
posted March 27, 2014 12:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Most likely comics and games would be inside would be my guess.

Edit: In reality, probably magic for sure. Possibly yugioh or pokemon if those haven't died off yet. The more popular minis games? Some DND books. Some kickstarted game that sucks and will only be around for a week. Some comics. Unhealthy processed food and a soda fridge.

Literally LOL - it's like, perfect.

dfitzg88
posted March 27, 2014 03:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
If you're going to sell greasy food, be very prepared to have napkins available ALL OVER THE PLACE and wipe down surfaces constantly, especially during gaming events.

Staffing is key. I won't go to some places simply because the staff gives off a scummy vibe. Just make sure the staff looks presentable and enjoys what they're doing. Also, even if you're friendly with some customers, don't let them ruin any other customer's experience. I stopped playing at Kings Games because I found out a judge was ignoring some of his friends' rules violations.

I would suggest getting your hands on small quantities of Doctor Who figurines and accessories for the front counter. My LGS apparently sells them like crack. Anything a girl can buy their boyfriend when they have no idea what to get them is good to have immediately visible. Small Marvel/DC figures that don't look childish and don't cost an arm/leg.

Single twenty-sided dice; I hate losing dice (or more likely, forgetting to bring it) and not being able to get a replacement.

If you have the space, I know a few places around here that have computers that you can buy time on (not sure how complicated the setup is, or if you have space for it). Preinstall WoW if you plan on doing this. Some places also have video game systems with games available for people to buy time on. If you're going the technology route, free wifi would also be awesome.

Magic players love promos. If you can't get a Wizards stamp in time, try to find a way to get your hands on the FNM/Game Day promos, or at least make up for not having them. One of my local stores lost their status and couldn't get promo cards for months, and it started to bum me out.

Much luck.

Edit: Also I've noticed a lot of stores have Life-Total pads available at the front counter with their Store Logo on them. These are awesome. One place was giving them away for free during a pre-release. If you can get them cheap, I'd recommend doing so, and selling them cheap (as advertising), or just giving them out at larger events. Even if you just give them for free with purchase, or, bare minimum, rip off a page for someone to use for the day; so convenient and awesome.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by dfitzg88 on March 27, 2014]

CrazyBones
posted March 27, 2014 04:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyBones Click Here to Email CrazyBones Send a private message to CrazyBones Click to send CrazyBones an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View CrazyBones's Have/Want ListView CrazyBones's Have/Want List
I'd personally love it if one of my LGS locations created some kind of worth while customer appreciate program.

I try to support local businesses but money is tight now days and it's hard to resist the temptation to buy things for much cheaper online.

I would really appreciate it if my LGS had a program that if I spent a certain level in a year or all time, maybe I get 5% off. Maybe a small discount on preordering booster boxes. It wouldn't have to be a larg discounte in order to encourage me to spend it in your store.

Plus, this kind of set up would require a tracking system driven by name or phone number. You could then use some of that data to learn what your bigger spending customers buy, etc...

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League