Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  Spirituality in Anime survey - Helping a friend with a research topic

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Spirituality in Anime survey - Helping a friend with a research topic
AtriumXP
posted September 20, 2012 09:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AtriumXP Click Here to Email AtriumXP Send a private message to AtriumXP Click to send AtriumXP an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi, all -

Hopefully this is okay to post... if not, feel free to remove but please send me a PM as well so I know?

**NOTE: Answers do not need to be posted here - Please forward your answers to tmzielinski1@united.edu. **

From her original request:

I’m working on a project for school regarding the Spiritual Life of Anime Fans. As such, I'm doing an initial survey to see if there is enough evidence to continue with my project. Can you please take a few moments to answer the following questions? In my paper, the only thing that will identify you are the answers to question 6. I'd really appreciate your help with this project.

1. What are your favorite anime/manga. Why?
2. Do you attend conventions or belong to an Anime/Manga Club? If so, which, for how long and why?
3. Has a fellow fan asked you about your spiritual beliefs or shared their beliefs with you? If so, explain.
4. If you attend cons, have you ever been to a panel where the main topic has been spirituality or religion? If so, what was the panel about and if you can remember, which con.
5. What is your spiritual background and current practice, if any?
6. Basic Identifying questions: Race, State of Residency, Gender

Thank you for your help. Please feel free to forward these questions to anyone who likes Anime.

**NOTE: Answers do not need to be posted here - Please forward your answers to tmzielinski1@united.edu. **

Thanks in advance to anyone giving this consideration; she's having a tough time finding people to poll for it.

AtriumXP@gmail.com (e-mail/PayPal)
I answer ref requests!

Rippers, fear my Mail Fraud Form!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AtriumXP on September 20, 2012]

Jazaray
posted September 20, 2012 07:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid that asking for age is a no-no on this forum. I don't see a problem with the rest of your questions, AS LONG AS people stick to only answering the questions and do not start a religious flaming war on here.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Melaleuca, go ahead, ask me what it is...

AtriumXP
posted September 20, 2012 07:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AtriumXP Click Here to Email AtriumXP Send a private message to AtriumXP Click to send AtriumXP an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
No problem, I'll amend it to remove the age piece. I think it will still work without that. Also, anyone wishing to participate can always choose not to answer everything. It's more about statistics to support a theory to encourage the next stage of the project.

Thanks for checking it over Jazaray.

Jazaray
posted September 20, 2012 07:34 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm not an anime fan myself. I mean, there are certain anime's that I like (Tenchi, Ah My Goddess, Slayers, Record of Lodoss War), however my Fiance is a major anime fan (And I'll NEVER forgive him for making me watch Urotsukidōji). So, I asked him these questions for you. I mean, if you'd like, I can answer them for myself as well, but, as I said, I'm not what would be called a "fan".

1. What are your favorite anime/manga.
Record of Lodoss War

Why?
The anime portrayed a typical D&D adventure party and most anime's are of a scientific or fantastic nature and I enjoyed the fantasy setting.

2. Do you attend conventions or belong to an Anime/Manga Club?
No

If so, which, for how long and why?
n/a

3. Has a fellow fan asked you about your spiritual beliefs or shared their beliefs with you? No

If so, explain.
n/a

4. If you attend cons, have you ever been to a panel where the main topic has been spirituality or religion? If so, what was the panel about and if you can remember, which con.
n/a

Baptist for both.

6. Basic Identifying questions:
Caucasian, Male, RI

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

I3Iood
posted September 21, 2012 11:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for I3Iood Click Here to Email I3Iood Send a private message to I3Iood Click to send I3Iood an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:
(And I'll NEVER forgive him for making me watch Urotsukidōji).

Wow. It took me 16 years to get that movie out of my mind... Thanks.

Nitelite
posted September 21, 2012 12:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Nitelite Click Here to Email Nitelite Send a private message to Nitelite Click to send Nitelite an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

1. What are your favorite anime/manga. Why?

Here's my three:
1. Serial Experiments Lain - Everything about it is amazing
2. .Hack//Sign - Fan of MMOs so really enjoyed this.
3. Chobits - Excellent comedy

quote:

2. Do you attend conventions or belong to an Anime/Manga Club? If so, which, for how long and why?

I attended Otakon for 5 straight years 2000-2004 and been to Anime Boston every other year since its inception.

quote:

3. Has a fellow fan asked you about your spiritual beliefs or shared their beliefs with you? If so, explain.

Well, I work with people that watch anime and we have a lot of random discussions, especially about religion, so yes.

quote:

I attend a lot of panels and have never been to one where spirituality is discussed.

quote:

My parents are Catholic and raised us in that tradition. I am currently an atheist or anti-theist depending on discussion.

quote:

6. Basic Identifying questions: Race, State of Residency, Gender

White, Mass, Male.

Jazaray
posted September 24, 2012 10:14 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I3Iood:
Wow. It took me 16 years to get that movie out of my mind... Thanks.

Sorry! But hey, there were four of us watching it. Me, my ex-boyfriend and him and his girlfriend (soon-to-be wife and then soon-to-be ex-wife ), who was pregnant with their first child. So... yeah.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

wayne
posted September 25, 2012 09:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
Is this open to people not in the US? And what constitutes an anime fan? What if I have only watched and liked one anime series and never watched another, would I fall into this research's definition of an anime fan?

AtriumXP
posted September 25, 2012 10:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AtriumXP Click Here to Email AtriumXP Send a private message to AtriumXP Click to send AtriumXP an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I've asked her about the location and she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'd say there's no harm in answering the survey if you're interested. You can reply here or e-mail her directly at tmzielinski1@united.edu (just post a subject like "Anime Survey" or the like).

As far as "fan eligibility" goes, there's really no criteria. If you've seen anime and are willing to take the survey, you count.

Thanks for the interest, she's already received about thirty replies from this and very much appreciates it.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League