Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  ► the SOPA thread

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   ► the SOPA thread
Myy
posted January 18, 2012 09:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
Hi MOTL, I'm amazed no one's brought the topic up here on MOTL.

With SOPA affecting the way gianst like Google, yahoo, and sites like craigslist, ebay work. Will this affect MOTL in any way?

I've seen videos and such on youtube stating how we will be monitored, and even fined if we send an item with copyright on it. stating the collateral damage from this legislation would be enormous.

What are your thoughts? anyone know this topic in a deeper manner? do you belive it's a good thing or a bad one, what can we do so help? discuss!

~Myy

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Myy on January 18, 2012]

Bugger
posted January 18, 2012 10:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I went and read the actual bill for myself, and basically what the bill does is grant the Attorney General the power to more or less remove a website from the internet - force search engines to remove its hyperlink from their search results, remove its domain name, cut its funding and advertising (and fine those who fund and advertise it) - basically go nuts on it with an axe. The problem though, is that websites will only be considered for review by the "holders of the intellectual property". In other words, there's enough wiggle room that the entertainment industry can go nuts shutting down whatever they don't like is being done with content. Look at stuff like Hulu and Netflix - these are products that exist because rather than just pull a Napster every time the internet tries to evolve the way the entertainment industry works, companies were forced to cooperate. After all, it's not like they were able to just shut down any site they didn't want showing their content...

hilikuS
posted January 18, 2012 11:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
That's sorta what I got out of it too, but I still fail to see where it takes away your freedom of speech, or anything like it. A lot of people seem to think that, and it just seems incorrect. Or maybe my perception of "free speech" is different from theirs.

Just seems like it gives the owners of any sort of intellectual property a means to go after the people who steal it, and thus provide consequences for taking it. Not seeing the problem with it.

Seems like you'll just have to watch your video from the official source (since the owners of content would be idiots not to put it somewhere), instead of a bazillion other places. As a user on the internet, you lose out on some free stuff, downloads and such, or you risk actual consequences. Those are things you got used to having though, not things you should have.

I guess I just don't understand the issue with it.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on January 18, 2012]

Thanos
posted January 18, 2012 11:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Thanos Click Here to Email Thanos Send a private message to Thanos Click to send Thanos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
In other words get all of your illegal downloading in quick...

Bugger
posted January 18, 2012 11:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
That's sorta what I got out of it too, but I still fail to see where it takes away your freedom of speech, or anything like it. A lot of people seem to think that, and it just seems incorrect. Or maybe my perception of "free speech" is different from theirs.

Just seems like it gives the owners of any sort of intellectual property a means to go after the people who steal it, and thus provide consequences for taking it. Not seeing the problem with it.

Seems like you'll just have to watch your video from the official source (since the owners of content would be idiots not to put it somewhere), instead of a bazillion other places. As a user on the internet, you lose out on some free stuff, downloads and such, or you risk actual consequences. Those are things you got used to having though, not things you should have.

I guess I just don't understand the issue with it.

Part of (well, the other half of the big gap which allows for abuse) the problem is that there's no due process for websites who have been accused - they get shut down as soon as a case is brought against them. No matter how you try to frame it, piracy is theft, and (this is venturing into personal opinion now) illegally downloading a CD is basically ****ing in the face of the artist who worked their ass off to create it. It's incredibly disrespectful, childish, and above all illegal. I purchase the content I enjoy whenever I can, to support the people who created it. I think everyone agrees piracy is wrong, and that something needs to be done. But this bill is unacceptable. It's not the intentions of the bill, but rather its ramifications that are cause for concern.

EDIT: as for people throwing around words like "firewall", "breaking the internet", and "infringing on free speech", well, there are uninformed people making uninformed statements about everything under the sun ever. Take it with a grain of salt. Would this bill suddenly turn us into china, as far as internet browsing is concerned? Probably not. But it's so poorly worded and the loopholes are such that it can a) be exploited for underhanded purposes to an undesirable degree, and that b) such exploitation can set precedent for future bills to expand upon it further.

Edit 2: this explains it more eloquently than I can

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Bugger on January 18, 2012]

Myy
posted January 18, 2012 11:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
would that mean that Wizards/Hasbro could shut down lets say mtgsally for showing a spoiler of a new card from a future set?

BoltBait
posted January 18, 2012 11:29 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for BoltBait Click Here to Email BoltBait Send a private message to BoltBait Click to send BoltBait an Instant MessageVisit BoltBait's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
According to SOPA, if someone uploaded a piece of copyrighted text to this web site, the govt could take MOTL down and fine the owner of the site... without due process.

SOPA is bad, very bad.

As a producer of games and other original content, I hate piracy. But, SOPA is not the answer.

hilikuS
posted January 18, 2012 12:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Bugger:
Part of (well, the other half of the big gap which allows for abuse) the problem is that there's no due process for websites who have been accused - they get shut down as soon as a case is brought against them. No matter how you try to frame it, piracy is theft, and (this is venturing into personal opinion now) illegally downloading a CD is basically ****ing in the face of the artist who worked their ass off to create it. It's incredibly disrespectful, childish, and above all illegal. I purchase the content I enjoy whenever I can, to support the people who created it. I think everyone agrees piracy is wrong, and that something needs to be done. But this bill is unacceptable. It's not the intentions of the bill, but rather its ramifications that are cause for concern.

EDIT: as for people throwing around words like "firewall", "breaking the internet", and "infringing on free speech", well, there are uninformed people making uninformed statements about everything under the sun ever. Take it with a grain of salt. Would this bill suddenly turn us into china, as far as internet browsing is concerned? Probably not. But it's so poorly worded and the loopholes are such that it can a) be exploited for underhanded purposes to an undesirable degree, and that b) such exploitation can set precedent for future bills to expand upon it further.

Edit 2: this explains it more eloquently than I can

If what you're saying is the truth (and don't get me wrong, I tend to believe you), then I would be against the thing, but I'm also ok with them cracking down on piracy. Yeah I steal stuff, knowing full well it's illegal, but at the same time, how am I going to say "OMG how can you take that away from me?".

From what I did read of the bill, I found some crap about terrorism, and shutting down such sites as well. So I'm assuming the "without due process" stuff is trying to extend the Patriot Act?

It definitely disturbs me anytime they decide to not give someone a trial for their crime (which they may or may not have committed).

There was some other stuff about importing illegal material as well, which I'm assuming refers to bootlegging. Reading that thing was like getting hit by a board every 10 seconds the way it was worded.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on January 18, 2012]

coasterdude84
posted January 18, 2012 01:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View coasterdude84's Trade Auction or SaleView coasterdude84's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

This is exactly the problem I think people have with it. There's no due process here, and as you said, it's so full of loopholes the government could in fact wield it like a big ol' Chinese banhammer. And as Bolty mentioned already, all it would take is some clown to post the entire text of Twilight here, and bye-bye MOTL. The sites themselves are held accountable instead of the people responsible.

Goaswerfraiejen
posted January 18, 2012 09:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Goaswerfraiejen Click Here to Email Goaswerfraiejen Send a private message to Goaswerfraiejen Click to send Goaswerfraiejen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I take it there are five main concerns:

1: The scope of the legislation is too broad. It allows one careless user's actions to legitimate the takedown of an entire website. Note that this would be a very serious problem for any place where users have any sort of input. Also note that most news sites (including papers themselves) would be SOOL, since they recycle content from other sites, often word-for-word and without any attribution or compensation. If scope problems aren't addressed explicitly, we should all post a line of copyrighted text on corporate and government websites, forcing them all to get shut down indefinitely.

2: The definition of 'domestic' IP addresses is problematic, because it's any address allocated from the US. Since the Internet Number Registry is in the US, that means this American legislation will affect sites located in other countries, including Canada. Since we are not Americans and are not politically represented down south, that's a serious legal problem.

3: It criminalizes software and other tools with legitimate applications, such as hiding one's geographical location.

4: It allows the government to force independent companies to stop doing business with sites it deems inappropriate.

5 As you've all said, there's a serious lack of due process.

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer. PM comments/questions.
Info on grad school in Phil.

dfitzg88
posted January 18, 2012 09:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dfitzg88's Trade Auction or SaleView dfitzg88's Trade Auction or Sale
network engineers have been complaining about cyber security issues. i think that's the biggest deal.

also, it won't stop you from being able to access illegal downloading sites, just by typing in the IP address instead of the URL.

so the only sites that get punished are the ones caught in the cross-fire, like search engines and media content sites

nderdog
posted January 19, 2012 07:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View nderdog's Have/Want ListView nderdog's Have/Want List
quote:
Part of (well, the other half of the big gap which allows for abuse) the problem is that there's no due process for websites who have been accused - they get shut down as soon as a case is brought against them.

I keep hearing this as the main case against SOPA/PIPA, but reading the bill, this simply is not the case. The site must be notified and given a chance to either take down the offending data or give a counter notice that explains why they are not doing anything wrong. Only after they either ignore the notice, respond saying that they will take it down and don't, or claim that they are doing nothing wrong can the complainant file with the court to get an injunction, and if the court sides with them, THEN things will get set into motion.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Bugger
posted January 19, 2012 01:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
so why exactly do we need new legislation when existing law enforcement powers can handle piracy sites just fine?

Lord Crovax
posted January 19, 2012 05:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/anonymous-hackers-claim-to-take-down-justice-department-website-in-retaliation/

This is interesting, seems things are getting heated a little...

Also under SOPA, WoTC could shut down both Salvation and MagicTrader, along with any other site they don't like.

Myy
posted January 19, 2012 07:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Myy Click Here to Email Myy Send a private message to Myy Click to send Myy an Instant MessageVisit Myy's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Myy's Have/Want ListView Myy's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Crovax:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/anonymou s-hackers-claim-to-take-down-justice-department-website-in-retaliation/

Also under SOPA, WoTC could shut down both Salvation and MagicTrader, along with any other site they don't like.

wow, I can't believe they actually did it, but I don't think any good will come from this.

Bugger
posted January 19, 2012 08:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/anonymou s-hackers-claim-to-take-down-justice-department-website-in-retaliation/

It's this kind of childish, stupid, and ineffectual reaction ("they're treating us like animals, so let's **** on the floor! now theyll respect us!") that almost makes me want SOPA to pass so we can be free of 4chan forever.

Any damn fool can DDoS a public website over a bag of cheetos and a half-liter of mountain dew. Talk to me when Anonymous does something that actually matters.

Frankly, I'm disgusted by their immaturity. Yeah, how DARE the government shut down a blatantly illegal website engaging in lawbreaking activity!

Lord Crovax
posted January 20, 2012 12:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's this kind of childish, stupid, and ineffectual reaction ("they're treating us like animals, so let's **** on the floor! now theyll respect us!") that almost makes me want SOPA to pass so we can be free of 4chan forever.

Any damn fool can DDoS a public website over a bag of cheetos and a half-liter of mountain dew. Talk to me when Anonymous does something that actually matters.

Frankly, I'm disgusted by their immaturity. Yeah, how DARE the government shut down a blatantly illegal website engaging in lawbreaking activity!

In fareness from what I've read SOPA/PIPA are no longer...so what they did, seems to have worked, at least for the moment...

I while I agree, childish yes, sometimes that's what one needs, think of it as a wake up call.

I also think the wake call came in for those who supported it more then the action itself.

fwybwed
posted January 20, 2012 01:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fwybwed Click Here to Email fwybwed Send a private message to fwybwed Click to send fwybwed an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

U mad bro?....Lol, settle down bro

HandicapParking
posted January 20, 2012 03:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for HandicapParking Click Here to Email HandicapParking Send a private message to HandicapParking Click to send HandicapParking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Privacy and Freedom of Speech OP. Congress plz nerf.

Bugger
posted January 20, 2012 04:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bugger Click Here to Email Bugger Send a private message to Bugger Click to send Bugger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
In fareness from what I've read SOPA/PIPA are no longer...so what they did, seems to have worked, at least for the moment...

I while I agree, childish yes, sometimes that's what one needs, think of it as a wake up call.

I also think the wake call came in for those who supported it more then the action itself.

Here's the thing: anonymous, acting intentionally, managed to take down the Justice Departments website for a few hours.
Wikipedia, etc going dark, and google raising awareness about SOPA inadvertently crashed [I]dozens[/] of senators and representatives' websites for most of the day. It also inundated congresspeople's phone lines and inboxes with attention. It's not hard to think of which of the two had more of an impact in the halls of congress.

The reason Anonymous's little ****fit irritates me so is the same reason it frustrates me when I see crude and obscene emblems in Black Ops: thanks to a bunch of childish twits, a cause I care about ends up looking illegitimate or childish by comparison. To make a better analogy, Anonymous is to SOPA protests as PETA is to animal rights - theyre groups that, with their unreasonable antics, make everyone else look bad by comparison. Millions of people engaged in protest on wednesday, people who care about keeping the Internet free, and don't need new regulation to keep us behaving well...and then Anonymous goes and pulls a moronic stunt like this.

Stupid crap like this makes it that much easier for politicians trying to pass SOPA and laws like it to delegitimize the opposition. And that's not okay.

hilikuS
posted January 22, 2012 07:06 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:

quote:
Originally posted by HandicapParking:
Privacy and Freedom of Speech OP. Congress plz nerf.

See what I mean?

djcards
posted February 01, 2012 08:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for djcards Click Here to Email djcards Send a private message to djcards Click to send djcards an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Not to punch a sleeping dog, but even though sopa and pipa have been benched there is an international treaty with roughly the same consequence. It's called the anti counterfeit trade agreement. There have been closed door meetings between world leaders to get it enacted. It's having an interesting effect on a few governments out there. I think it was the Netherlands or something whose parlaiment members, educated people mind you, wore faux masks in protest when there leader signed it without going through the discussion Channels. Interestingly enough, obama signed it a couple years ago.

Jtrade77
posted February 02, 2012 09:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jtrade77 Send a private message to Jtrade77 Click to send Jtrade77 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
ACTA is potentially the same thing as SOPA, but constructed from a top-down international perspective by multi-national lobbying and influence peddling. Signatory nations must change their own laws to comply with the treaty. Obama has already signed it, but it won't go 'live' until after this current presidential election cycle.

telmagic20
posted February 07, 2012 12:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for telmagic20 Click Here to Email telmagic20 Send a private message to telmagic20 Click to send telmagic20 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I hope it doesnt get accepted

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League