Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  General Discussion
  Take It To The People - Foreign Policy (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Take It To The People - Foreign Policy
Jazaray
posted August 11, 2014 02:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the first installment of our new thread series, Take It To The People!

Feel free to post your thoughts and opinions. Please behave maturely, personal attacks and unruly behavior will not be tolerated.

Remember, the parties involved in the case are NOT to reveal themselves!

On to the first case!

Datatog and MOTLBot have a trade in progress. MOTLBot sent first. During negotiations, MOTLBot described the card in question as "HP" and Datatog was fine with the condition and offered a trade up accordingly. MOTLBot also included a few links to pictures of the card in question. Datatog did not ask for pictures and did not to look at the pictures, as condition was already discussed and Datatog felt that was enough.

However, when the card arrived, Datatog found that it was not an English card. Nowhere in the negotiations was the card stated to be a language other than English. Datatog immediately contacted MOTLBot about the discrepancy, saying the trade was not for a non-English card, and asking that MOTLBot cover return shipping . MOTLBot's response was that pictures were sent of the card, showing it to be another language.

The rule that you need to consider for this case is:

If language isn't discussed, cards are expected to be English.

YOU be the judge!

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,
And a whole lot of bedroom pizzazz.

WeedIan: Jazaray is like MOTL's Mom.

Those who refer to me as "he" WILL be smacked. ;)

paragondave
posted August 11, 2014 02:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Both parties share responsibility in this and therefore if they cannot agree to an equitable altering of the trade, cards should be returned. Return shipping expenses should be split evenly.

My .02

Iluvhyppies
posted August 11, 2014 04:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Iluvhyppies Click Here to Email Iluvhyppies Send a private message to Iluvhyppies Click to send Iluvhyppies an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Couple of questions:

1. Does MOTLBot live in a country whose native language is English and if no was the card sent in MOTLBot's native language?

2. In a country where English is not the native language how readily available are packs of english cards?

pugowar
posted August 11, 2014 04:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I can understand both parties bearing some responsibility but if I was the party that was sent a picture of the card and "didn't even look at it". I think I would hold myself responsible and just accept the card.

I mean you were sent a picture and chose not to look at it.

That said we are to assume all cards are English on this site unless explicitly noted, which the trader who sent the card failed to do.

TL/DR Letter of the Law - Trader who sent the non-English card bears complete responsibility. But I would at least split it if I was the trader who received the picture and chose not to look at it.

Tim

stab107
posted August 11, 2014 05:01 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pugowar:
TL/DR Letter of the Law - Trader who sent the non-English card bears complete responsibility. But I would at least split it if I was the trader who received the picture and chose not to look at it.

This.

Balian Baron of Ibelan
posted August 11, 2014 06:43 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Balian Baron of Ibelan Click Here to Email Balian Baron of Ibelan Send a private message to Balian Baron of Ibelan Click to send Balian Baron of Ibelan an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want ListView Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want List
...however it sounds as though the person who received the non-english card didn't open the pic because the pic was to show condition. In the statement above, it sounds as though condition was already determined, so why the need to open the pic? Seams like an extra step (all-be-it in the case would've saved some time).
All cards are assumed English unless stated...since nothing was stated, it seams kinda clear doesn't it?

Good Luck to both parties!!

paragondave
posted August 11, 2014 06:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
How much is the card worth, even well loved?

...in response to the objection from the peanut gallery,

I'd say "relative to the shipping costs", your Jazness.

hilikuS
posted August 11, 2014 07:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
At what point in the process were the photos sent? To me it seems like if the negotiating was done before the pictures were sent, then the dude who had the foreign card should have to fix the problem. Like, you say you've got a foreign card and you negotiate accordingly from there. It shouldn't work like, hey lets trade for this HP Dark Confidant, ok things are settled, oh BTW it's Italian.

I feel like you have the responsibility to let the other guy know you have an Italian card before you start negotiating.

Now, if the dude said hey I got this HP Confidant, here's a picture of it, do you want it? Well that's the other guy's problem if he didn't view it. How hard is it to click a photo and view it? I still think you should probably be explicit and say it's not English, but still.

I also have a sidebar here Jaz. Is it at all possible to create a Rules Forum? Like, that houses the rules, and all their updates. I know we've had rulings about stuff, and it was a big deal, but was never like updated on the site. I think it would be super solid to have an actual Rules forum that can be viewed by all, and can be updated by Mods as things come up. I still don't think the Delivery Confirmation stuff is up on the site in some place that isn't that really long thread full of heated discussion.

[Edited 3 times, lastly by hilikuS on August 11, 2014]

nderdog
posted August 11, 2014 07:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
At what point in the process were the photos sent? To me it seems like if the negotiating was done before the pictures were sent, then the dude who had the foreign card should have to fix the problem. Like, you say you've got a foreign card and you negotiate accordingly from there. It shouldn't work like, hey lets trade for this HP Dark Confidant, ok things are settled, oh BTW it's Italian.

I feel like you have the responsibility to let the other guy know you have an Italian card before you start negotiating.

Now, if the dude said hey I got this HP Confidant, here's a picture of it, do you want it? Well that's the other guy's problem if he didn't view it. How hard is it to click a photo and view it? I still think you should probably be explicit and say it's not English, but still.

I also have a sidebar here Jaz. Is it at all possible to create a Rules Forum? Like, that houses the rules, and all their updates. I know we've had rulings about stuff, and it was a big deal, but was never like updated on the site. I think it would be super solid to have an actual Rules forum that can be viewed by all, and can be updated by Mods as things come up. I still don't think the Delivery Confirmation stuff is up on the site in some place that isn't that really long thread full of heated discussion.

Each forum rules section has the relevant rules posted and kept updated already. Having them in another location probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but finding a place where they won't be lost in the shuffle may be tricky.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

hilikuS
posted August 11, 2014 07:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by nderdog:
Each forum rules section has the relevant rules posted and kept updated already. Having them in another location probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but finding a place where they won't be lost in the shuffle may be tricky.

I'm just thinking that we're going to start having these discussions about BTA rulings, and those could spark a need for new rules updates. It was my impression that those types of things don't actually get updated, much like a lot of other things because you guys simply can't do it. So having the forum would put that stuff under your control, and thus it would not be a grey area. I know you guys do lots of stuff for volunteer work on here, so I don't want to make it a thing like "you guys should do more work", but I think it would help.

coasterdude84
posted August 11, 2014 09:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Cards were expected to be English, and it should have been mentioned in the text. However, the argument can be made pictures were sent which would have clearly shown the language was something else, so it was indirectly communicated.

Both sides are at fault and should split the return shipping.

Balian Baron of Ibelan
posted August 11, 2014 10:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Balian Baron of Ibelan Click Here to Email Balian Baron of Ibelan Send a private message to Balian Baron of Ibelan Click to send Balian Baron of Ibelan an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want ListView Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want List
...but in arguing for the recipient, why open the image if the condition was already stated? Wasted step, wasted time...

Was the pic a hyperlink? If not, how can you be sure the recipient wasn't operating from a non-computer device, thus making it difficult to see the image?

I say again, why open it if the condition was already discussed? No reason to...Datatog shouldn't be held accountable for anything. Split shipping for not opening a picture that wasn't necessary, no way!

Look at the policy :all cards assumed english unless STATED. Nothing was stated, only an image sent to show condition....condition isn't the issue it sounds like, only the language, so the context in which the pic was sent is not even a legitimate argument.

Pretty clean, cut and dry...

Love this idea, and again, good luck to both parties!!

coasterdude84
posted August 11, 2014 11:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balian Baron of Ibelan:
...but in arguing for the recipient, why open the image if the condition was already stated? Wasted step, wasted time...

Even if condition is predetermined, why wouldn't you still check it? HP is a pretty broad term, so wouldn't you want to see exactly what you were getting? It certainly should have been stated it wasn't English, but at the same time, caveat emptor.

Let's look at this from another angle. In the non-Magic world, vendors issue approval drawings to customers for special projects or custom work. Even if you told me you just want a 4x6x8 box, I'm going to generate a drawing calling out not only the box dimensions, but materials, finishes, etc. This way, there's no question if I'm supposed to make it out of pine or steel or something else. If you email me back approving the drawing without ever even looking at it, who's at fault then if it's not exactly what you wanted?

Balian Baron of Ibelan
posted August 11, 2014 11:16 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Balian Baron of Ibelan Click Here to Email Balian Baron of Ibelan Send a private message to Balian Baron of Ibelan Click to send Balian Baron of Ibelan an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want ListView Balian Baron of Ibelan's Have/Want List
...and again, the cards condition was already determined it sounded like.

There is NO/0/zero need to open the picture as it sounds like the recipient must have been okay with the card condition to not open the pic. The condition of the card was accepted. That's it! No need for a pic.

This is all trivial. It doesn't matter if the pic was opened or not. Card condition was determined, values where put onto the cards and a shipping order must have been selected. The language should've been stated when determining the value of said cards...

...which brings up another point. Value. Are all language copies valued the same as English? No. So when the non-English card was given a dollar amount, was the recipient of the card aware of the language? Doesn't sound like it...

Jazaray
posted August 11, 2014 11:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvhyppies:
Couple of questions:

1. Does MOTLBot live in a country whose native language is English and if no was the card sent in MOTLBot's native language?

2. In a country where English is not the native language how readily available are packs of english cards?

1. MOTLBot lives in a different country, however the native language of that country is not the language the card is in.

2. Honestly... I have no idea.

quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
How much is the card worth, even well loved?

An English NM one is worth between $20-30. I'm afraid I don't know how much one in the language that was sent is worth.

quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
At what point in the process were the photos sent?

The pictures were sent at the beginning of the trade process. Datatog posted a "CML for xxx" on MOTLBot's thread, MOTLBot replied with an offer, as well as the pictures.

quote:
Originally posted by Balian Baron of Ibelan:
Was the pic a hyperlink? !

The pictures (there were multiple) were not hyperlinks.

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

Iluvhyppies
posted August 11, 2014 12:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Iluvhyppies Click Here to Email Iluvhyppies Send a private message to Iluvhyppies Click to send Iluvhyppies an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:
1. MOTLBot lives in a different country, however the native language of that country is not the language the card is in.

2. Honestly... I have no idea.

Well that makes the case a little more complicated than I expected. However, as had been pointed out, the receiver didn't bother looking at the pictures that were sent. So that puts the bulk of the blame on him as far as I concerned, because he was given a golden opportunity to discover the language of the card well before the deal was finalized.

On the other hand, if I were offering I would have been sure to note that the card was not in English at least once (probably every time) I mentioned it in any correspondence. But then I tend to bit a bit anal about things like that. Or I was when I was actively trading on here.

For myself I would put the blame as 65% on the receiver because he/she was sent pictures and didn't bother looking at them.

Leeroy
posted August 11, 2014 01:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Leeroy Click Here to Email Leeroy Send a private message to Leeroy Click to send Leeroy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jazaray:
The pictures were sent at the beginning of the trade process. Datatog posted a "CML for xxx" on MOTLBot's thread, MOTLBot replied with an offer, as well as the pictures.

Was the card listed as foreign in MOTLBot's thread?

hilikuS
posted August 11, 2014 01:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Then yeah, I'd say the photo is actually an even more explicit description of the card, its language, and its condition. So I would say not taking a look at the picture is kinda tough turkey. My concern was that the cards be accurately described during negotiations, and before the trade was finalized. It wasn't written, but it was legitimately stated with an actual photo of the played card. Most people ask for that on higher end played stuff anyway. Could the guy have said, this is a foreign language? Yeah, but I think the photo should suffice, and unless the two parties want to work to straighten out the misunderstanding, I don't think there needs to be any action rules wise.

Personally it's probably in your best interest as a trader (this is outside of the rules, it's ethics at this point) to make it right. Sure you sent a photo, and it was clearly shown foreign, dude should have clicked the link, but try to come to an agreement on what to do about it. You may end up trading with the person again several times. Something you likely will not be able to do if you just leave it be. It looks good on your resume to fix it.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by hilikuS on August 11, 2014]

Jazaray
posted August 11, 2014 01:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leeroy:
Was the card listed as foreign in MOTLBot's thread?

MOTLBot *thinks* it was, but cannot prove it as the thread was edited and the card was removed after the trade was finalized. Datatog says that it was not listed as foreign on MOTLBot's list.

I'm considering posting their trade negotiations (edited, obv). Do you think that would help out?

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

Jazaray
posted August 11, 2014 01:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Jazaray Click Here to Email Jazaray Send a private message to Jazaray Click to send Jazaray an Instant MessageVisit Jazaray's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Here are the trade negotiations:

-------------------------------

Datatog - posted offer in the MOTLBot H/W list.

MOTLBot sent PM to Datatog.

----- Original Message Datatog-----
didn't receive a pm

----- Original Message MOTLBot-----
Strange. You wrote in my H/W thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Datatog:
could you check my list for your HP (card name)? thanks!!

Here are the pictures of card. There are some waving on the top of the card.

link1
link2
link3
link4

I can take (card name) (+some throw in) or (card name) (+some throw in) for my HP (card name). Let me know what do you think about that.

I could do:
1 (card name)
1 (card name)

your:
HP (card name)

Id kindly ask that youd send first due to refs. My address is:
Datatog address

...or counter offer. Please respond with your address to confirm. thanks!

Package sent. LMK when it arrives.

dude, not happy. (Card name) is in (Foreign Language)! I did not ask for a (Foreign Language) copy, nor did your list say (Foreign Language) copy. I will not trade for this. You will need to cover return shipping back to you...
Lemme know what you are planning to do.

Hi,

You received pictures of the card. They are below in our conversation. So I don't see the reason why I should cover return shipping. I'm waiting for your end of the trade.

Nope. I will bring this to a Mod. I do not have to take pictures, and as stated in the MOTL rules any card that doesnt have a language next to it is assumed to be English. I will be contacting the MOD immediately. I will not pay for any part of this transaction.

----------------------------------------

Sidenote: As this is what I was sent as the PM exchange, I must assume that MOTLBot replied with an address to confirm the trade.

Second Sidenote: I asked MOTLBot for the answer to question 2 from iluvhyppies.

quote:
Originally posted by Iluvhyppies:

The answer is: All packs that are sold in stores MOTLBot's country are in English

Thanks,
Jazaray

A delicate face,
A soft warm embrace,

nderdog
posted August 11, 2014 05:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for nderdog Click Here to Email nderdog Send a private message to nderdog Click to send nderdog an Instant MessageVisit nderdog's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The images were not hyperlinked, just the full URL posted, but the messaging system didn't turn them into clickable links.

I don't believe that this information will identify the 2 parties, so for those curious, the card in question is a German Sensei's Divining Top if that helps to determine the best solution.

All your Gruul Nodorogs are belong to me. Trade them to me, please!

Report rules violations.

Remember the Auctions Board!

Vegas10
posted August 11, 2014 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
Should MOTLbot have stated the language in this, I think he should have, however he did send pictures to datatog, and as far as I see in the pm exchange datatog never told MOTLbot that he didn't look at the pics until after he recieved, so I could see how MOTLbot would assume he would have known the language since I would assume if I sent pics of a card to someone that they should look at them, so based on that I think they are both at some fault and that the shipping should be split or some other arrangement agreed upon.

chaos021
posted August 11, 2014 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
I really can't believe this. If you won't take time to look at a picture or a scan, then what's the point? How would I know that you're actually reading the text I send to the other party involved?

I say that's Datatog's problem. If Datatog doesn't want what was sent AND what was sent is what was in the scan or pic, Datatog should eat the cost of undoing this trade.

My Sale Thread

caquaa
posted August 11, 2014 09:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
I really can't believe this. If you won't take time to look at a picture or a scan, then what's the point? How would I know that you're actually reading the text I send to the other party involved?

Exactly.
If I provide you information, I expect you to use that information prior to an agreement being reached. Would you accept an argument of "I didn't bother reading that it was German?" I'd expect not. Not viewing the images of the card is just as bad.

quote:
Look at the policy :all cards assumed english unless STATED. Nothing was stated, only an image sent to show condition

Not sure how much more of a statement can be made than "This is my card: {link}"

pugowar
posted August 12, 2014 09:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I did not realize when I made my last statement that the picture was sent during the negotiations.
With that in mind I feel the trader made a reasonable effort to identify his card and the full responsibility falls on the trader who did not look at the picture.

Tim

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League