Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Articles
  Magic - The Casual Game - An article for fledgling young players

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Magic - The Casual Game - An article for fledgling young players
Inzane
posted August 25, 2001 09:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Inzane Click Here to Email Inzane Send a private message to Inzane Click to send Inzane an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Listen up, this article is for those people who don't play magic too often competitively, but find it fun as a casual way to pass time, my story goes as follows:

The Beginnings
Well, I had heard of this trading card game which everyone was playing...called magic the gathering, to me, it was just pieces of cardboard which I really didn't understand, nothing more than a simple trend was what I reminded myself...just like POG and Marbles, it'll fade away soon...and it did, I hadn't even thought about it for about 5 years since I first experienced it...then, in 1999, while trying to pass time in school, a friend introduced me to the game...I was still skeptical...but I tried it. While I was playing that day, soemone else walked by in the hallway and mentioned they had played the game before, I asked him if he had the cards, and he said he did, so I payed him $5 for a deck of 60 cards, and one day during history class, made my first deck, minotaur sligh.

The Result: Getting into the game takes a good knowledge of the rules, and me/my friends had very little. We played rules like only one creature can block a creature, cumulative upkeep meant you needed to pay what the card said once a turn, and cards like elephant grass and illusionary wall were broken. Finally, after a few visits to the local cardshop, and meeting some people in school, we started to develop a keen interest and more insightful view into the game.

The Challenges: Well, here's the thing that seperates me from other players, I've been playing this game for over three years now, and even though there are regular tournaments/FNM in our city, I've only played in 3 sanctioned events in my entire magic career...the reason, magic doesn't appeal to me as a highly competitive game, and in fact, it's only a casual game to pass time...me and my friends play a couple of games at lunch, with few edition/type rules that just limit to no unglued/proxy/fake cards, and that's about it...you can't believe the fun that's had when you play like that. So many decks over the years have been made, some of my personal touches were serra goblin (fast goblin punching in the beginning, shadow weenies in the middle, serra angels and serra avatar as the deathblow), elfball, and tim.

My Advice to the Newbie:
1)Don't start off going in to tourneys and events...it's healthy to visit the local cardstore, but it's better to play casually before anything else...playing casually allows one to grasp the concepts, learn the rules, and explore the different colours/combinations. When I first started playing, I went to red, then white, then green, then blue, then finally black earlier this year...I only switched colours when I had a good grasp of the strengths/weaknesses of the cards.

2) Don't make a deck off the internet, it just doesn't work unless it's your own creation..it's alright to use the internet as a guide, but what makes a deck work is 90% a person's feeling/strategy with the deck, and 10% luck, and making a deck of the internet or other source basically makes you rely on the 10% luck.

3) Don't play multi-color...I can't stress this enough for you, you can't start off magic with a 2 color deck because you have more problems to begin with...the most powerful decks throughout time were single colors, so a newbie deck can still be competitive and mono-color...my favorite starting color was red because it had creatures, dd, and destruction, so it helped enforce basic concepts...choose a color right for you, and stick with a mono-color deck.

4) Finally, persistance...don't give up no matter how many times you lose or something you do wrong, everyone's a newbie at one point remember, so the person that beats you in a game has had nearly the same experience as you, so there's always potential for growth no matter what, remember, finkel was a newbie at one point, so were the other champions of magic, so you can be as good as them with a little persistance

innocent_little_kid
posted August 26, 2001 12:52 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for innocent_little_kid Click Here to Email innocent_little_kid Send a private message to innocent_little_kid Click to send innocent_little_kid an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
nice article. ironically enough when me & my friend started playing (we mostly played against each other), we both started out w/ 2-colored deck. blue & white 4 me & black & blue 4 him. my deck was pretty said. i didn't have good cards, so it was basically made from different white & blue creatures, enchatnments and an occasional removal (disenchant/stp), counterspell (remove soul or powersink), and a serra or 2, of which i was very proud
then i made a red and white deck with cool white stuff & red burn + shivan & finally i finished w/ an all white deck (but not white weenie) and an all blue deck. now i'm working on building an artifact deck.

Inhale. Kill. Exhale.

email me @: dima_ky@hotmail.com

SerraAngel
posted August 30, 2001 01:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SerraAngel Click Here to Email SerraAngel Send a private message to SerraAngel Click to send SerraAngel an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Nice article, but I don't really agree with the one color at a time thing. The first deck I ever built was 5 color and most of my decks still run more than one color. Color doesn't make that much difference, so I would adivse newbies to mix and match as they see fit!

phoenix
posted August 30, 2001 05:53 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for phoenix Click Here to Email phoenix Send a private message to phoenix Click to send phoenix an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
yeah my very first deck was five color cause I wanted to use: force of nature, veteran bodyguard, vesuvan doppleganger, granite gargoyle, and lord of the pit in one awesome** deck

But I think that one should start mono colored as it will be easier to learn and to be bale to play well faster!

Agent Stix
posted August 31, 2001 02:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Agent Stix Click Here to Email Agent Stix Send a private message to Agent Stix Click to send Agent Stix an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
my first big deck was a blue/white deck cause most of my good cards came form that deck.o,and i had one blaze in it caus everyone tough doing x damagewas so good.And i remember eeryone though(including me) as the more rares you had in t,the better it would be.

Foil Tree
Most Playable Invasion Cards FOIL For Sale!!
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/014869.html

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic | Make Feature Article
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League