Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Articles
  Wizards; A Change for the Better?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Wizards; A Change for the Better?
Fooath
posted May 26, 2000 05:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fooath Click Here to Email Fooath Send a private message to Fooath Click to send Fooath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
After reading the prophecy spoiler I would have to say that wizards is truly trying something new. If you look at the past all sets have been pretty well balanced, not saying prophecy is not. But one thing that caught my attention was the speed of this set, it just does not exist! This set is slow to the bone.

When Saga was released I looked at Voltaic Key as just another semi-powerful artifact. Then after playing with it ideas began to form themselves. All this speed just waiting to be discovered, and it was. Wildfire, and ACC blue are two great examples of speed in its purest form. Yet both function around cards that are designated more as control, which is generally slow. And as it continues on the speed factor begins getting out of hand. A 6/6 for 4 with a drawback that effects both players? A 9/9 trample for 5 that is followed up with an enchantment that is cheap, effective, and returns to hand. Speed begins to get out of hand, turn 4-5 kills are almost common place. And wizards watches and learns.

Now they release a set full of things that are not totally underpowered, nor are they very fast. I think that when Urza's floats off into yesterday control decks are going to become THE power. I am sure other decks will stick around but there power will diminish. With the number of new counterspells blue will become a much larger contender. Not saying I do not like what wizards seems to be doing, actually just the opposite, I love it. Games will not last 3 minutes with the win coming in the form of a 20 pt blaze. Games will be more interesting and last longer. Just the way it should be.

Hopefully they do not do something stupid with the upcoming sets, I hope they keep it a little slower. Seventh should be awfully interesting. I am already looking forward to it. Invasion also seems like a good set going by what wizards is attemping to do. If you look at Urza's and some of the cards in there that set has some almost, if not broken cards. I do not see any breakable cards in Prophecy. I am sure there are some, but none that jump out and slap me around. I mean, if you look at Gaea's Cradle, Time Spiral, and Morphling as soon as you notice what they do you automatically want them and have a deck idea is place. I have seen some decks based around prophecy cards but with the free counterspell I am afraid bad things might happen to them. I am REALLY looking forward to some new ideas coming out when prophecy is released.

da-odd-templar
posted January 22, 2001 04:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for da-odd-templar Click Here to Email da-odd-templar Send a private message to da-odd-templar Click to send da-odd-templar an Instant MessageVisit da-odd-templar's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fooath:
I do not see any breakable cards in Prophecy. I am sure there are some, but none that jump out and slap me around.

Wrongo! lol

It's sad when the best card is an uncommon. (Well, there IS that mageta guy, ill give you that)...so idol is only 2nd

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Stephen Wright

ICQ Number: 7801268

Email: mlava@flash.net

One of the best Magic: The Gathering sites

Current Banned and Restricted List: Here

King_rascal
posted January 22, 2001 05:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for King_rascal Click Here to Email King_rascal Send a private message to King_rascal Click to send King_rascal an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This article was written 5-6 months ago and almost every word rings true! I want this guy to pick hte hot cards for me when planeshift comes out. He is right because blue control decks and blue/black discard decks are the biggest decks to watch out for nowadays.

Fooath
posted January 22, 2001 11:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fooath Click Here to Email Fooath Send a private message to Fooath Click to send Fooath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
LoL! I also thought utopia tree would be used.... I am sad. At least I was right about pyre zombie..

da-odd-templar
posted January 23, 2001 09:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for da-odd-templar Click Here to Email da-odd-templar Send a private message to da-odd-templar Click to send da-odd-templar an Instant MessageVisit da-odd-templar's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_rascal:
He is right because blue control decks and blue/black discard decks are the biggest decks to watch out for nowadays.

Um...ever heard of fires or counter-rebels??

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Stephen Wright

shadowdrifter
Unregistered
posted January 24, 2001 12:05 AM   Click to send shadowdrifter an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Templar, Counter/Rebel IS control! I just won a tourney with it today, and it's just the kind of slow deck Fooath is talking about. And now that I've played it, I'd play Counter/Rebel over Fires any day. It blows Fires out of the water, especially with a decent sideboard!

Utopia Tree.... why would you use that when you've got one cost FLYING birdies who do the same thing? Between those and the duals there just isn't room for the Tree... if Birds aren't in 7th then it will probably become more widely used, but not before.

Contact me if you play Apprentice....
Email/AIM/ICQ/homepage at top toolbar...
Check out my sales list...ShadowDrifter's Magic Sanctum...

"2+2=5 for large values of 2"

da-odd-templar
posted January 24, 2001 12:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for da-odd-templar Click Here to Email da-odd-templar Send a private message to da-odd-templar Click to send da-odd-templar an Instant MessageVisit da-odd-templar's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
*smacks himself* ok, it is control, im stupid

anyway, fires still has an equal footing vs counter-rebel, but with planeshift, fires is only looking better.

Still, I wonder what new deck will come out of planeshift...any ideas?

Fooath
posted January 24, 2001 04:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Fooath Click Here to Email Fooath Send a private message to Fooath Click to send Fooath an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Scuta wire. . Talk to Master....*growls*

If you dont run free, or cheap control you lose. And this kinda crap doesnt much exist anymore. Outside of black, which cant target the scuta anyway.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic | Make Feature Article
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League