Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Articles
  Playing Newbies

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Playing Newbies
Selvaxri
Banned
posted July 10, 2001 07:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Selvaxri Click Here to Email Selvaxri Send a private message to Selvaxri Click to send Selvaxri an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Playing newbies for most veterans of the Magic world can be very frustrating. Trust me, i just got done playing against two. But in this case, one had a couple months experience, the other only about a couple weeks. but it was fun.
when i first taught them, i taught them the most basic strategy: stompy. I told them that was the choice decks of newbies, with a simple strategy and no complex cards... just really big creatures, lots of land, and spells to make them bigger.
today when we played, the newbie with the most experience went for my Kavu Havok deck (seen in the Deck Help & construct forum) knowing it was a stompy. That left only five decks with multiple strategies for the one with least experience:
Elvish Invasion (elvish horde with life-gaining)
The Stronghold (basic Tim/Death Pits deck)
Anthro-R-Us (Turbo-land with the purpose to get anthroplasm as big as possible)
Land Mine (land destruction/lock deck)
and Midnight Horror (black weenie/recursion.
he went for my Midnight Horror deck and i played Land Mine...
Newbie A (the one withe Midnight horror) went first and by my second turn, i thoughly made them mad by playing 'Impending Disaster'
that made Newbie B (kavu player) laugh because Newbie A got torqued, because it was unfair and i should play that deck. I simple told it was the strategy of the deck.
we continued to play, i destroyed land left and right (mainly Newbie A's which made him madder) and burning what creatures i could. Newbie B kept using Terminates on Newbie A's small black creatures, while Newbie A was still trying to figure out what they did.

The game ending in Newbie B's favor after he played a 'Kavu Mauler' and pummeled me, leaving Newbie A vulnerable and he soon fell victim to some Mire and Flametongue Kavus. But it was still a good game and the newbies found two more strategies to work with: Land Destruction and Weenie.

XxChanseyxX
posted July 14, 2001 12:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for XxChanseyxX Click Here to Email XxChanseyxX Send a private message to XxChanseyxX Click to send XxChanseyxX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Yeah. They can be annoying. I remember during the Planeshift draft i had to face off against this like 20 some yr. old girl that looked like she had just taken a big hit from a bong or something. Anywayz thats not the point. It seems like she was someones wife or girlfriend or something that was just given 10 bucks to enter and give the prize to the person who gave her the 10 bucks IF she won. Just to let you know she didnt. I made sure no one else had to go through the suffering i did. What suffering you ask? oh nothing really just 2 hours of playing 3 outta 5 matches with her. It was a very slow day. She would stare at her hand for a long time then say..."oh, umm...ill..tap these...and play this." Im fine with this. Then she has to stare at the card to find out what the hell she just played. Takes a little while then finally says go. I play regular and play my things and then say go. Simple turn. Well even though its the end of my turn she isnt done. She has to find out what this thing does...so she spends a while reading even after i tell her in about 1/2 the time she took to read it. It was a verrrry slow day. I made sure that she didnt get to play anyone else...it would have been torture. Also after she took a long time looking at her cards she would say "yawn..im sorry...im just..really...really...yawn..tired" It was very annoying and i didnt enjoy it at all. But anywayz 2 hours later we were done.

this is sorta a newbie article...

[Edited 1 times, lastly by XxChanseyxX on July 14, 2001]

Selvaxri
Banned
posted July 14, 2001 10:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Selvaxri Click Here to Email Selvaxri Send a private message to Selvaxri Click to send Selvaxri an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Playing Newbies: Day 2
This time, i had to play 3 newbies, A and B, but a new one C with an experince level between A & B's.
Newbie B went for Land Mine after seeing how well it worked, Newbie A went for went for the same deck: Midnight Horror, and newbie C went for my elf deck while i played Kavu Havok.

To make a long story short, Newbie B was the only one who knew how to play, Newbie A griped when i and B assaulted him, while Newbie C tried to figure out what he had in his hand. The game ended in a draw because it was getting late...
it was fun though, gave me a migraine, but a day teach Magic.

XxChanseyxX
posted July 14, 2001 10:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for XxChanseyxX Click Here to Email XxChanseyxX Send a private message to XxChanseyxX Click to send XxChanseyxX an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Wow, i could barely take 1 i dont know how u took 3...well 2 1/2 since B knew what he was doing. One time while teaching my friends little brother to play he goes to attack his brother with like 4 creatures, but he just puts em up toward him and says 'attack'. Well my friend goes "ok u done?" The brother says yeah, "r u gonna take the damage?" My friend says "well, are u gonna attack?!" LOL it was the funniest thing. He was confused for about 4-5 minutes trying to figure out what my friend meant. Well finally we told him u have to tap to attack. Magic would be messed up if we played his way

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic | Make Feature Article
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2012 Magic Online Trading League