Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Are there different types of foil cards?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are there different types of foil cards?
Hydralisk
posted June 03, 2020 01:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Hydralisk Send a private message to Hydralisk Click to send Hydralisk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So I want to buy a magic the gathering card from eBay, and I see they have foil versions of that card, are there different versions of a card that have the shiny appearance in it? I see that someone’s card is shiny, but that shiny appearance looks different from other versions of the same card.

Also, if I buy it from ebay, how do I know the card is legit, not a fake?

aethertech
posted June 03, 2020 03:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's entirely possible for fake cards to exist - there are counter-fitters out there.

But, in general there's the non-foil, and foil version of most cards.

Then there can be several special versions (usually for newer cards though.) Most commonly ,there used to be FNM promo foils. And also some products have different printing/foiling than others even for the other wise exact same card (art and all.) E.g. Masters products foiling can be very different feel/look than normal set foiling.

mm1983
posted June 03, 2020 04:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Some foils are printed on different printing presses and newer foils have a different feel than the older foils up to and including old card style with the shooting star at the bottom. From the vault foils and some other special release sets of cards have a different feel completely.

aethertech
posted June 03, 2020 05:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
basically:

there's a lot of variation...

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League