Magic Discussion
  Modern Masters 2; 2015 edition (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Modern Masters 2; 2015 edition
revenger
posted April 27, 2015 09:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Send a private message to revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
Discuss:

So far I'm liking it.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/modern-masters-2015/

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

Demilio
posted April 28, 2015 06:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Demilio Click Here to Email Demilio Send a private message to Demilio Click to send Demilio an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Demilio's Have/Want ListView Demilio's Have/Want List
I'm happy for Hierarch and Fulminator Mage. Those were long overdue for reprints. I'd like to see Bitterblossom here, it's definitely due. We can also hope for Damnation.

hilikuS
posted April 28, 2015 06:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
All of those mythics are exciting. I agree about Hierarch too, but I figured they would do that.

With the MSRP going all the way up to $10 a pack, I figured they would stack the set with tons of goodies, but this has exceeded my expectations so far.

I'm wondering how big shops feel about these sets. On one hand it's like Wizards printing money for them, but on the other I'd imagine they take a big hit on the price of their singles that got reprinted. I hope that it at least evens out.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on April 28, 2015]

slurpee
posted April 28, 2015 06:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
my biggest problem with it so far is that, these cards seem more like they were printed because they are money cards. Most of these cards are not that great in draft and given the fact that wizards says the set is meant to be drafted or sealed they don't make sense. Would I like to open an emrakul, mox opal, etched champion or fulminator mage or goyf, sure but they wouldn't make the deck.

I enjoyed drafting, sealed of the first one. This feels like a money grab, and I am sure other will just say it is. So lets come out with it and say will reprint any cards of significant value every two years to reduce their price.

rats60
posted April 28, 2015 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
Eldrazi are good in draft. Etched Champion will be good with support at c/uc. Goyf isn't as great as constructed, but is still solid. I expect a good chunk of the c/uc to be from Zen/Roe block and SOM block, so those bombs will have support.

I count 12 mythic unless the are moving rares to mythic. They are all good pulls. This set is shaping up to be much better than mm1. There are still more cards that can be added to make this even better.

Pail42
posted April 28, 2015 08:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by slurpee:
I enjoyed drafting, sealed of the first one. This feels like a money grab, and I am sure other will just say it is. So lets come out with it and say will reprint any cards of significant value every two years to reduce their price.

I heard plenty of reports here that drafting the first MM was a bad experience because the best return on investment was usually in grabbing the most expensive cards rather than actually trying to win the event.

Mythics don't tend to affect draft strategies very heavily. If there is a solid set of C/UC/R then drafting/sealed can be good even if some unplayable or too-good mythic shows up once a pod.

dwiz
posted April 28, 2015 10:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
I heard plenty of reports here that drafting the first MM was a bad experience because the best return on investment was usually in grabbing the most expensive cards rather than actually trying to win the event.

Mythics don't tend to affect draft strategies very heavily. If there is a solid set of C/UC/R then drafting/sealed can be good even if some unplayable or too-good mythic shows up once a pod.

You can take your money card upfront and try to win knowing you already made your profit, or you can draft to win and get your earnings in the prize pool. I won pack wars at GP Vegas and probably came out with $300 in cards from the free packs and the prizes (it was free entry with GP entry last year, as well).

iccarus
posted April 28, 2015 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
For the most part, I did not enjoy drafting MM1...but that was mainly because some of the support cards they included to make the "tribes" work felt so lame in a format where I was paying $30 to draft. You only need to go RW Giants once to realize how low the return value can be (unless you opened something sweet).

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

slurpee
posted April 28, 2015 11:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
I enjoyed drafting it because I played during time spiral and knew the value in things like suspend. I enjoyed sealed as well. I enjoyed being able to play with cards I already knew were good unlike players who just started playing in the last year or two. To me it was like core set and I didn't have to read what the new cards did that were really the same as an old card just reprinted with a new name.

What hurt was the cost, 30.00 for draft, 50 for sealed. So you get into I gotta get my money's worth to justify the cost. Do I enjoy the fact that I may get my monies worth, yes. I will also point out that when drafted people used the perceived old values and thought that they got their monies worth when in fact that 7 dollar kitchen finks turned into 2.00. That ethersworn canonist 6.00 turned into 2.50. You do enough of that and few got their 30 or 50. They increased the MSRP to 9.99 on these, does it matter because shops charged more then the 7.00 on MM1? Yes it does because now the shops were charged more on their distributors. Will MM2 sell out, yep but I see the same thing happening again on the rares/uncom the values will be halved.

Volcanon
posted April 28, 2015 01:29 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The value for MM1 was poor because it was so freakishly expensive. Paid something like $30 for a draft and ended up with $3 in cards. The "best" card I got was the spider token since MM1 is the only printing of it.

That said, RW giants was the "funnest" deck to draft.

Hopefully MM2 will have nothing from Lorwyn.

slurpee
posted April 29, 2015 07:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for slurpee Click Here to Email slurpee Send a private message to slurpee Click to send slurpee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View slurpee's Trade Auction or SaleView slurpee's Trade Auction or Sale
I just assumed but didn't see anything, do you still get a foil in every pack of mm15?

revenger
posted April 29, 2015 10:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Send a private message to revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
Okay. If I pull a Iona or all is dust and everything will be great. But splinter twin? Primal command? Imo the duds are starting to come out.

Adding the filter lands to this would be great!

I personally don't see Damnation in here. Just reprinted as a judge foil.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

dwiz
posted April 30, 2015 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by revenger:
Okay. If I pull a Iona or all is dust and everything will be great. But splinter twin? Primal command? Imo the duds are starting to come out.

Why would Iona be in here with FTV Angels on the way?

dfitzg88
posted April 30, 2015 04:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
Hopefully MM2 will have nothing from Lorwyn.

*backs away slowly*

mm1983
posted April 30, 2015 06:25 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I think they overdid it a little bit with reprinting all 3 eldrazi gods. There was really no need to reprint Ulamog or kozilek, emrakul would have done just fine. It would have opened 2 more mythic slots up for other cards that would deserve it more. This will make for a slow sealed format with now 7 big money cards spoiled so far with converted mana cost of 7 or greater. Fulminator Mage was a nice surprise to be spoiled however it's use for sealed play will be very minimal. I'd hope to not see pestermite or deceiver exarch as reprints with splinter twin in the set. Sealed play is not about winning with infinite combos although the first modern had Kiki Jiki with pestermite so deceiver exarch could be a potential reprint this time.

Pail42
posted April 30, 2015 08:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:

They need to cram as many high-dollar cards in this set as possible to justify the MSRP. I'd rather they put in MM than a FTV. My guess is that it will put more of the card into circulation than FTV and they won't have the terrible FTV foiling.

Also, it could always be printed in both sets if they really wanted to - Kessig Wolf Run was in FTV:20.

There are still plenty of angels left for the upcoming FTV. All these angels are currently over $10 at SCG:
Archangel (Japanese promo-art)
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Linvala
Archangel of Thune
Baneslayer Angel
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Maelstrom Archangel
Jenara, Asura of War

daner
posted April 30, 2015 02:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by revenger:

Uhhhhhh Splinter Twin was a $20 card, Primal Command was close to $10. Those arent duds....not every card can have a current $50 price tag. Plus those cards are good for draft/limited.

Volcanon
posted April 30, 2015 02:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daner:
Uhhhhhh Splinter Twin was a $20 card, Primal Command was close to $10. Those arent duds....not every card can have a current $50 price tag. Plus those cards are good for draft/limited.

Splinter Twin is not that great in draft, especially if the format is as removalariffic as MM1.

Pail42
posted April 30, 2015 04:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Splinter Twin is not that great in draft, especially if the format is as removalariffic as MM1.

The number of creatures with really good ETB triggers is likely going to be much higher than a typical set. I expect it will be better in this format than it was in Rise of the Eldrazi.

revenger
posted April 30, 2015 08:48 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Send a private message to revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:

You realize Iona has been spoiled ya know.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

jellyfishfanatic
posted April 30, 2015 08:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jellyfishfanatic Click Here to Email jellyfishfanatic Send a private message to jellyfishfanatic Click to send jellyfishfanatic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want ListView jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want List
Any validity to the fact that Splinter Twin is being moved up to Mythic? Has anyone else seen that?

Pail42
posted April 30, 2015 09:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Splinter Twin was officially previewed as rare http://tournamentcenter.eu/news

A bunch of cards (supposedly all the mythics) were unofficially spoiled a few days ago and I believe twin was in that list. Take the remaining unconfirmed spoilers with a big grain of salt.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Pail42 on April 30, 2015]

Volcanon
posted April 30, 2015 11:01 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Somebody posted this on MTGS. So far it is accurate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzbjSS4r8hXjeVFZdW95bDA1Ym8/view?pli=1

dfitzg88
posted April 30, 2015 11:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

weird picks on the planeswalkers if that is accurate. no one is mastering modern with venser and koth.

pugowar
posted May 01, 2015 03:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for pugowar Click Here to Email pugowar Send a private message to pugowar Click to send pugowar an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Weren't Noble Hierarch and Vendilion Clique already officially spoiled? I didn't see them on that list.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League