Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Cube preference on creature type by color

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Cube preference on creature type by color
A1phaMale
posted October 19, 2014 01:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So, I want to add a bit of flavor to my cube by having about 10-20% of a card color as a creature type.

Green - Elves
Red - goblins
Blue - merfolk/faeries???
Black - zombies
White - ???

In your opinion, what would be a good creature type to draft from in a cube? Also, I'm contemplating slivers, but I don't know how well that would work. Any success stories?

rats60
posted October 19, 2014 01:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for rats60 Click Here to Email rats60 Send a private message to rats60 Click to send rats60 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View rats60's Have/Want ListView rats60's Have/Want List
White- Angels
Black- Vampires
Blue- Merfolk
Red- Goblins
Green- Elves

Volcanon
posted October 19, 2014 02:54 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So you want fun tribal interactions or just a lot of a certain creature type?

Green - Elves, Beasts
Red - Goblins
Blue - Merfolk/Faeries
Black - Zombies
White - Soldiers (Or Birds, or Knights)
Gold - Slivers

If you don't mind multicolor, then:
BW: Clerics
Wrub: Soldiers
GB: Elves
BGR: Goblins
BW: Rebels

Slivers works in my pauper cube. Naturally there's stronger slivers at the higher rarities. However, there's way more sweepers at the higher rarities and slivers obviously don't do well in a cube with a lot of wrath effects.

Rebels are a lot stronger than they seem. If you get the whole chain and then a control shell you don't have to ever do anything on your turn. May result in tables getting flipped, though.

Some of the better changelings are quite good, so feel free to toss them in.

Also keep in mind that the creature type update has retroactively made a lot of creatures work with various lords. Soraya, for instance, went from useless to an okay bird lord.

daner
posted October 19, 2014 05:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View daner's Have/Want ListView daner's Have/Want List
White - Soldiers/Angels
Blue - Merfolk/Fearies
Green - Elves/Beasts
Red - Goblins
Gold/Multi - Legends

I guess lengendary is a creature type..... an all Lengendary theme to each multi-color card would be kinda spiffy.

thror
posted October 19, 2014 06:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A1phaMale:
So, I want to add a bit of flavor to my cube by having about 10-20% of a card color as a creature type.

not to rain on your parade too hard, but i've done this and seen it done, and it almost never works. considering a 540 card cube, with 40 lands, 20 artifacts, and 40 multicolored cards, that leaves you with 440/5 spells per color. thats 88 white cards. if you make 20% of them white soldiers, you have 18 total. some of them are going to be 'filler', like elite vanguard, and nobody is going to want to commit early unless they hit something amazing. also, if you draft with 8 people, you still only use 2/3's of the cube, meaning now there are only 12 soldiers in the pool. you either have to pump your cube up to 40% tribal to support it, or you're going to have very underpowered tribal decks, with most people ignoring them completely.

you could probably get away with a 40% tribal saturation for 1-2 colors. red goblins could do it. but if you're doing a true cube, that still means only 1 warchief/piledriver/matron/ringleader. sometimes it won't come together, and that might leave the guy that tried to draft goblins feeling like you tricked him into drafting a crappy deck.

A1phaMale
posted October 21, 2014 01:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thror:
not to rain on your parade too hard, but i've done this and seen it done, and it almost never works. considering a 540 card cube, with 40 lands, 20 artifacts, and 40 multicolored cards, that leaves you with 440/5 spells per color. thats 88 white cards. if you make 20% of them white soldiers, you have 18 total. some of them are going to be 'filler', like elite vanguard, and nobody is going to want to commit early unless they hit something amazing. also, if you draft with 8 people, you still only use 2/3's of the cube, meaning now there are only 12 soldiers in the pool. you either have to pump your cube up to 40% tribal to support it, or you're going to have very underpowered tribal decks, with most people ignoring them completely.

you could probably get away with a 40% tribal saturation for 1-2 colors. red goblins could do it. but if you're doing a true cube, that still means only 1 warchief/piledriver/matron/ringleader. sometimes it won't come together, and that might leave the guy that tried to draft goblins feeling like you tricked him into drafting a crappy deck.

This was one of the things I was most worried about so I'm glad you brought that up.

So, now I have one more question. What are your thoughts about having only one big creature theme that spans all colors. The best creature type I can think of that meets those requirements is slivers and I think I could get about 50 or so in the cube which will be about 10-15% of the entire cube, so about one sliver in every pack.

I think that would be fun, any input or anyone see it work?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by A1phaMale on October 21, 2014]

Volcanon
posted October 21, 2014 05:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you lower the general power level of the non-tribal cards, the tribal cards are better. It's tough to make tribes work when every deck has three sweepers.

Possibly more skill-intensive as "normal" cube is quite often about who got the bombiest bomb.

The MTGS cube forum is quite good. You should post there. It even doesn't have the usual garbage modding that MTGS has.

GenghisTom
posted October 23, 2014 06:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for GenghisTom Click Here to Email GenghisTom Send a private message to GenghisTom Click to send GenghisTom an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have a 600 card cube with a tribal 'element'.
That is to say, only three of the colors (GRW) have tribes (Elves, Goblins, and Soldiers).

I originally created the cube with all 5 colors having a tribe, though blue faeries quickly became a problem as there's not much selection of faerie lords and most faeries just suck. I kept spellstutter sprite, bitterblossom, and cloud of faeries because those cards are fine on their own.

Later on, I found Black zombies to be a problem as it felt weird for black to have an aggro tribe archtype. Most times drafting black I was going for reanimator or combo, or just splashing for removal/tutors and the zombies were just getting in the way.

The other three colors however inherently are aggro colors (or at least lend themselves very well to the archtype), and in addition Elves, Goblins, and Soldiers have many options that are good outside of the tribe.

Llanowar elves (or any functional reprint) is a great elf but doesn't have to be in a tribal deck so it serves more than just tribal. Many other cards exist like this including elite vanguard, goblin war marshal, akrasan squire etc.

Then for the lordish type cards there are things like Imperious perfect, which by itself is completely fine (great, even), and in a deck with 5 or more elves its fantastic. Priest of Titania is okay on it's own, two mana accelerator, but with a few more elves in the deck it's better.
Champion of the Parish is not a lord necessarily, but does require to be in a deck with a good amount of humans which is not hard in a white aggro shell. And if most of your creatures happen to be soldiers anyway, stuff like Veteran swordsmith start to look a bit better.
Goblins is a bit more tough, most of the goblin lord cards are all in type cards, and goblins as a tribe is usually trying to swarm anyway so anything that supports a token archtype also supports goblins.

Beyond that you have your strict lords. Elvish Champion and Archdruid, Field Marshal and Auriok Steelshaper, Goblin King and Chieftain.

Sure, those cards are dead if you're not in the tribe but it's not like it's only a few cards per the whole cube. Not only that, but drafts should have a few cards that are archtype specific and if you're already going elves and you see that lord in the third pack you get excited and know it's gonna table as many times as you send it because no one else is going elves.

I really can't stand cubes that are just super overpowered and 'all goodstuff' packs where every single card is playable as long as you're going that color. It's all about sweepers and big creatures, there's very little skill involved in searching out synergies between cards.

I believe in multiples in cubes as well. Why not? There's multiples in booster drafts. I only mean cards that don't really have a functional reprint, or that fit a specific archtype like Life from the Loam (2x), Faithless Looting (4x - sure there's similar red and blue cards but the flashback is really key here), Mox diamond (3x), Sol ring (4x - why should only one person get to have it? THAT to me, is overpowered), Goblin Welder (2x), Steel Overseer (2x), Etched Champion (2x), Champion of the Parish (3x), Mogg War Marshal (2x), Priest of Titania (2x), Maze of Ith (2x - the other 'maze' cards are no good) Strip Mine (4x) etc etc.

The beauty of cube is you can do whatever you want and tweek it to fit your play group's preferences.

EDIT: I also have 4x mutavaults - this really supports tribal, and these cards aren't dead to other archtypes that simply want a manland.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by GenghisTom on October 23, 2014]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League