Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Magic the Gathering Stocks! The game

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Magic the Gathering Stocks! The game
darkenergy
posted October 08, 2014 11:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for darkenergy Click Here to Email darkenergy Send a private message to darkenergy Click to send darkenergy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View darkenergy's Have/Want ListView darkenergy's Have/Want List
So I was wondering if anyone is willing to play a game with some mock money. We all know that some people treat magic cards like the stock market and the one person who brags about it like no tomorrow about earning however amount of % from a card (Rabblemaster is most recent). So why don't we put our skills to the test and have a little fun to see if everyone has a keen eye like they think they do.

So here are some rules:
1) You can only sell and buy on a Monday of every week
2) Everyone has $1000 to buy whatever you want
3) A cost of 15% fees will be applied for every selling transaction which mimics PP & Ebay cost)
4) All card must be MTG cards
5) You keep track of your portfolio and post the results anytime on Monday
6) We will use SCG as the price guide
7) There will be a $10 "Storage fee" on the cards every week to hopefully mimic lost of capital and cash flow

Let me know if anyone is interested and if we can get this running

[Edited 2 times, lastly by darkenergy on October 08, 2014]

oneofchaos
posted October 08, 2014 12:02 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by darkenergy:
So I was wondering if anyone is willing to play a game with some mock money. We all know that some people treat magic cards like the stock market and the one person who brags about it like no tomorrow about earning however amount of % from a card (Rabblemaster is most recent). So why don't we put our skills to the test and have a little fun to see if everyone has a keen eye like they think they do.

So here are some rules:
1) You can only sell and buy on a Monday of every week
2) Everyone has $1000 to buy whatever you want
3) A cost of 15% fees will be applied for every selling transaction which mimics PP & Ebay cost)
4) All card must be MTG cards
5) You keep track of your portfolio and post the results anytime on Monday
6) We will use SCG as the price guide
7) There will be a $10 "Storage fee" on the cards every week to hopefully mimic lost of capital and cash flow

Let me know if anyone is interested and if we can get this running

Can we all pitch in and get a real prize, an end date and make this an awesome competition?

guruswamp
posted October 08, 2014 12:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for guruswamp Click Here to Email guruswamp Send a private message to guruswamp Click to send guruswamp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Cheating may b an issue if there is a prize unless its all kept tabs on by some neutral third party.

LandDestroyer
posted October 08, 2014 12:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View LandDestroyer's Have/Want ListView LandDestroyer's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by guruswamp:
Cheating may b an issue if there is a prize unless its all kept tabs on by some neutral third party.

I love this idea. I probably wouldn't have time to participate but I do love this idea. Like fantasy football for magic players. Rooting for certain decks to do well at a GP or PT or Open so certain cards of yours will go up etc.

coasterdude84
posted October 08, 2014 02:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for coasterdude84 Click Here to Email coasterdude84 Send a private message to coasterdude84 Click to send coasterdude84 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of on board with this. Whether we do it for a prize or not, I think we should have someone play bookkeeper (we could have multiple bookkeepers if we're concerned that much about cheating). Either way, sounds like fun, count me in.

guruswamp
posted October 08, 2014 03:04 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for guruswamp Click Here to Email guruswamp Send a private message to guruswamp Click to send guruswamp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Everyone just needs to post on the thread. Every monday everyone posts No editing posts outside
Of say 15 minutes from initial posting
Which allows for mistake
Correction but not enough time to "cheat". Everyone starts with their 1000$ spends it etc and posts what they buy and sell etc. it will have to be decided how to monitor things. Say no purchases added throughout6 the week (mon-mon) and only sales (to capitalize on spikes). Sales
Would have to be posted seperately to "time stamp" them since each players "main page" isnt editable except mondays. To bad there isnt a way to see exActly
Was edited

Volcanon
posted October 08, 2014 04:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Sure, I'll play.

headumpire
posted October 08, 2014 04:07 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 

I WOULD HIGHLY suggest using TCGMid instead of SCG pricing. It will be more volatile to the penny instead of a stupid company that doesnt keep up with every small price change.

Assuming that change is made. I AM TOTALLY WILLING TO PARTICIPATE! Sounds awesome! And maybe like a $10 entry fee?

guruswamp
posted October 09, 2014 03:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for guruswamp Click Here to Email guruswamp Send a private message to guruswamp Click to send guruswamp an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Can i play?

Imma sink my 1k all into foil treasure cruise

Schwingzilla
posted October 09, 2014 04:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Schwingzilla Click Here to Email Schwingzilla Send a private message to Schwingzilla Click to send Schwingzilla an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to play, but I'd just point out economic point. Losing $10 every week means you're giving up 52% of your capital over a year, and will over-weight the transactions made at the beginning, because people have a smaller and smaller amount of money over time to invest.

Since it's being applied equally to all players, I don't see how it has any effect other than to reduce the amount of cards people can buy over time. A 52% interest rate isn't realistic.

I'd recommend, if you want to mimic foregone capital returns, just to allow them. That is, each week you return 0.1% of the cash you have left over that isn't tied up in cards. This simulates a 5.2% annual capital return, which is what you could expect from the stock market, and provides a bar that people have to overcome to win.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Schwingzilla on October 09, 2014]

hilikuS
posted October 09, 2014 06:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
Yeah I'm in.

Schwing, how would that work with how you do your transactions? For the purposes of the game I mean. Would it be something like, each Monday:

1. Process all selling transactions and apply fees.
2. Apply 0.1% return.
3. Make purchases.

Also, how many weeks does the game go on?

[Edited 2 times, lastly by hilikuS on October 09, 2014]

JayC
posted October 09, 2014 06:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Send a private message to JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Many of us play this game everyday... :X

dfitzg88
posted October 09, 2014 07:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of the game but it feels like the effort required could cause only a small interest in the game. if you;

-created a spreadsheet template for everyone to use and keep track of their portfolio
or,
-made the game simpler (pick x winners and x losers for the upcoming week, and judge performance based on %/$ increase or loss)

you may generate more interest. but i may be wrong. it just feels like the games on this board havent taken off like i'd hoped

i seriously hope the idea takes off the way you suggested though. i like it.

CoupDeGrace
posted October 09, 2014 07:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
sound interesting. I am on with it

mm1983
posted October 09, 2014 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I like the idea of this although I would suggest to put a limit on number of cards that you could buy like maybe no more than 20 of any given card for example and to please keep it English cards only being that Star City does not list prices for every foreign card but foil or non foil is fine.

Also, would there be trading of cards for other cards of equal value using SCG prices or once you pick your $1,000 of cards then thats what you are stuck with until the end of this game?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on October 09, 2014]

Rabid Wo1f
posted October 09, 2014 09:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Rabid Wo1f Send a private message to Rabid Wo1f Click to send Rabid Wo1f an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Rabid Wo1f's Have/Want ListView Rabid Wo1f's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by guruswamp:

I have no interest in actually participating, but I can keep track for you guys.

Schwingzilla
posted October 09, 2014 01:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Schwingzilla Click Here to Email Schwingzilla Send a private message to Schwingzilla Click to send Schwingzilla an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikuS:
Yeah I'm in.

Schwing, how would that work with how you do your transactions? For the purposes of the game I mean. Would it be something like, each Monday:

1. Process all selling transactions and apply fees.
2. Apply 0.1% return.
3. Make purchases.

Also, how many weeks does the game go on?

Well, I'm not the game's creator, but if I designed it, it would probably go like this: You can only make transactions on Mondays, and each Monday you may, in order,
1) Sell any cards you have for TCGPlayer Mid Price - 10%
2) Buy any cards for the TCGPlayer Mid price
3) Look at your money that is remaining, and add 0.1% of it to your cash balance.

On the last day of the game, everyone sells their cards for the TCGPlayer mid - 10% and the person with the most money wins.

It would also be plausible not to have step three at all, and only count buying and selling. Capital gain is a complication, but it does provide an incentive to only go in on sure things.
I personally like 10% and 0.1% because it's round numbers, easy to calculate, and a 15% transaction cost is on the high side (eBay's probably around 13% now, though there's shipping, and conceivably you could sell cards on MOTL). It seems like a 15% fee (and even a 10% fee) would strongly discourage active portfolio managment, which is the purpose of the game. Honestly, I'd push for 5%. I'd want it to be greater than 0%, but even a 10% hit on the top means the best strategy is probably to sit on your cash and wait for others to piddle away all their money.

[Edited 2 times, lastly by Schwingzilla on October 09, 2014]

Schwingzilla
posted October 09, 2014 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Schwingzilla Click Here to Email Schwingzilla Send a private message to Schwingzilla Click to send Schwingzilla an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd also suggest not allowing foils or promotional sets. The markets are more thinly traded, and that could cause some wonky, exploitable, but not realistic results. Like picking penny stocks in an office stock-picking pool.

darkenergy
posted October 09, 2014 01:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for darkenergy Click Here to Email darkenergy Send a private message to darkenergy Click to send darkenergy an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View darkenergy's Have/Want ListView darkenergy's Have/Want List
I'm definitely open to everyone suggestion. I much rather this be a team effort to create something fun than to have unnecessary restrictions on it to limit its fun.

I just threw some numbers out there as an initial point to get the things started. I definitely think the capital gains idea by adding .1% can be quite interesting and I am all for it. I will say that I don't think there is a point in trading cards amongst players as the market would only be opened for 1 day. (Unless of course we have a cap on the number of cards to prevent people buying up .25 cent commons that may go to .50 or whatever)

I am fine with using any price guide as it really doesn't change the dynamics of the game. Also, we can remove the $10 fee too.

As long as everyone post on monday it should be quite simple to track. I am fine with pitching for a prize if everyone is down.

I don't know if anyone have used Decked Builder before, but it is a program that can keep track of a collection and have a price guide that links to TCG Mid. It might be an idea to use them except it cost $10 per person (it does however do a great job on tracking your real collection too).

[Edited 4 times, lastly by darkenergy on October 09, 2014]

hilikuS
posted October 10, 2014 05:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
You can use TCG Player to track your lot too, and I'm sure there's a few other sites.

revenger
posted October 16, 2014 11:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
Did this game crash? Go into the great depression of magic?

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League