Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Long inactive player: info on selling my revised collection

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Long inactive player: info on selling my revised collection
Droiddr
posted August 04, 2014 06:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Droiddr Click Here to Email Droiddr Send a private message to Droiddr Click to send Droiddr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I have not played magic in years and have an almost complete revised set, some unlimited, arabian nights, antiquities and some more recent.
My revised contains all the dual lands.

I am considering selling my collection, and to establish a good sale, I am prepared to meet any serious buyer in Ottawa or montreal, Canada in person.

WHat is the best way to proceed from here?

jbark
posted August 04, 2014 11:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Ebay.com. best value you will get even after fees. Some people will pay the amount you would get after fees but few. Throw it up and show the duals and some ultd/arabian/legends/antq cards and the rest in hinders and boxes. You could get crazy cash.

PacFan01
posted August 04, 2014 12:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for PacFan01 Click Here to Email PacFan01 Send a private message to PacFan01 Click to send PacFan01 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PacFan01's Have/Want ListView PacFan01's Have/Want List
I don't agree that Ebay will get you the most value. If I recall correctly, the selling fee is around 15%, although they might offer a fee discount on high-priced items. I'd look into it before throwing it up, and I doubt you're going to get crazy cash. I go to Ebay because it's where players can get Magic cards for the lowest prices.

I'd definitely post on here and other serious trading sites. Look up Magic Facebook pages in your area, as well as the High End Magic page. You can get offers and a lot of opinions on the value of your inventory.

majicman
posted August 04, 2014 01:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for majicman Click Here to Email majicman Send a private message to majicman Click to send majicman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View majicman's Have/Want ListView majicman's Have/Want List
To be honest, I would only sell on Ebay if you already have an established account with reasonable feedback (over 100). It is better to have sold some magic as well.

Lots of people will underbid anything you have if you are a new ebay account as feedback is generally an indication of trustworthiness.

On here (MOTL), feedback is also a key indicator of being trusy worthy, with the caveat that you need to make certain someones account on MOTL hasn't been hacked as people will ask you to send first. Be careful!!!

Best way to sell is to get an idea of how much a revised set (NM) goes for. Condition is key to what you get. Sets can range from $1000 to $1200 and maybe a tad more if in NM.

Look at SOLD auctions on ebay as a "starting point" and look at TCGPLAYER for individual cards as the top point. Somewhere in there you will find what people "may" pay you for cards. It may be selling point is close to Ebay based on availability. If harder to find/condition cards the price goes up. Selling as a collection, most people will want a deal (25 to 30% if cards move vs. small price cards a bigger discount as they sit longer) to buy as most are flipping for profit as a reseller.

This is just my experience and be careful who you listen to (even me). I just share what I know as I have been in this since Jan 1994 as a player then turned collector.

You can also try craigslist, but that has some risk there as well.

There may be some folks on here that are in Canada who resell. I know of no one in Ottawa/Montreal area.

PM or email me if you have any general questions.

Good luck...Greg

[Edited 2 times, lastly by majicman on August 04, 2014]

mm1983
posted August 05, 2014 05:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by PacFan01:

I don't agree that Ebay will get you the most value. If I recall correctly, the selling fee is around 15%, although they might offer a fee discount on high-priced items. I'd look into it before throwing it up, and I doubt you're going to get crazy cash. I go to Ebay because it's where players can get Magic cards for the lowest prices.
I'd definitely post on here and other serious trading sites. Look up Magic Facebook pages in your area, as well as the High End Magic page. You can get offers and a lot of opinions on the value of your inventory.

It's pretty much 15% total in fees between ebay and paypals flat 2.9% + .30 for each item sold. Ebay gives a 20% discount only for final value fees to those who have earned top rated status otherwise for any other kind of discounts you have to pay for a store subscription to get the discount on listing fees.

MagicPatty
posted August 05, 2014 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for MagicPatty Click Here to Email MagicPatty Send a private message to MagicPatty Click to send MagicPatty an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View MagicPatty's Have/Want ListView MagicPatty's Have/Want List
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ebay fee caps at 250.00, and the ebay fee is about 10%, with paypal being just shy of 3%...

Theoretically, if you are selling something worth well over 2500.00 you are paying a much smaller cut to ebay. That said, if your collection is worth less then this is irrelevant.

sys41o
posted August 06, 2014 11:33 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for sys41o Click Here to Email sys41o Send a private message to sys41o Click to send sys41o an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
To be honest when I sold most of my collection a few years back I wish I had just accepted the best offer from the stores that I had talked to in the first place.

I parted my collection out on MOTL and a few other places. By the time I paid all of the fees, then got hit by Paypals bad exchange rate, waited for all of the shipments to arrive it was a huge time sink to get "top dollar". The store I deal with gave me an offer that was very close to the amount that I ended up collecting anyways. Also would have saved me hundreds of hours.

Your collection isn't so big but I would start by getting a few offers from your local stores just to have a value. Remember that brick and mortar stores have different prices than online. Some stores may have better buy prices than online stores as well. Never hurts to look given that you have few MOLT refs and have few ebay refs.

Droiddr
posted August 07, 2014 06:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Droiddr Click Here to Email Droiddr Send a private message to Droiddr Click to send Droiddr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Well you guys were all helpful.
Given that I instinctively knew that selling them myself online would be time consuming as I have been inactive for so long at magic, I went to 2 stores in my area. I had 19 double lands, one store offered 1300 but did not inspire confidence. Another offered me 1360 (CAD) for them, but was a serious store, many employees doing buy sell orders that arrive/leave by mail.

I sold then there for 1360$ wortg in cash and some board games. NOt top dollar, but pretty good for 2 hours work. The bad kicker here, is that I was too quick in selling them, as a local collector that I could not get hold of on time was serious on buying them for more most likely.

Ah well live and learn, impatiences sometimes costs

PacFan01
posted August 07, 2014 10:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for PacFan01 Click Here to Email PacFan01 Send a private message to PacFan01 Click to send PacFan01 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View PacFan01's Have/Want ListView PacFan01's Have/Want List
I have zero knowledge of the value of a Revised set + other cards, but it seems like you got a decent price. The collection might have been worth more, but ~$1300 is probably about right considering the time and money you saved on fees, shipping, etc.

Plus, it never hurts to establish a relationship with a physical store if you're going to buy and/or sell collectibles.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by PacFan01 on August 07, 2014]

kingtal0n
posted August 09, 2014 05:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kingtal0n Click Here to Email kingtal0n Send a private message to kingtal0n Click to send kingtal0n an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kingtal0n's Have/Want ListView kingtal0n's Have/Want List
I buy dual lands around ebay cost (and without the fee) so lmk if you want to sell any duals (anyone)

Just picked up a taiga SP+ from ebay $41.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League