Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Chinese fakes found in Michigan

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Chinese fakes found in Michigan
thror
posted July 30, 2014 06:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View thror's Have/Want ListView thror's Have/Want List
Just wanted to update everyone here, but this is mostly for the mid Michigan area folks.

Coys Comics and other game stores have been alerted to high quality fakes being circulated in the area. Coys is currently in possession of the following fakes:

Stoneforge
Jace TMS
Wasteland
Polluted Delta
Flooded Strand
Sword of Fire/Ice

I have seen them personally, and there are 2 good ways to spot them. The first is the set symbol. The rarity color for mythics and rares is 'washed out'. Compare to a legit rare and you'll notice it. Obviously this is hard for older cards. The second is the copyright line on the bottom of the card, and to a lesser extend the rules text box itself. The small lettering is basically blurred.

Be aware, this is possibly only a small portion of the fakes in the area. A single seller was turned away from the Bay City store after being told his cards were fake, but unfortunately was able to sell some to Coys Comics. The owner there saw other high value legacy cards in the sellers binder, and these fakes may include FBB duals.

<crypticfreak1> jazaray got ahold of me. he also had a hard time finding the email.
<Jazaray> She...

kingtal0n
posted August 09, 2014 05:40 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kingtal0n Click Here to Email kingtal0n Send a private message to kingtal0n Click to send kingtal0n an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kingtal0n's Have/Want ListView kingtal0n's Have/Want List
We need someone to look with a microscope.

Do these fakes have the traditional print pattern? does it spiral clockwise in the color of the card down the sides like the originals?

both the shape AND direction of the little dots need to be seen in high power.

I always check ALL my cards with high power microscopy.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by kingtal0n on August 09, 2014]

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League