Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Seller protection: Paypal, Chargebacks, etc

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Seller protection: Paypal, Chargebacks, etc
HandicapParking
posted November 19, 2014 08:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for HandicapParking Click Here to Email HandicapParking Send a private message to HandicapParking Click to send HandicapParking an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View HandicapParking's Trade Auction or SaleView HandicapParking's Trade Auction or Sale
I'm a long time buyer starting to sell cards on here (from Canada) and I'm looking for some advice regarding protecting myself, mostly from CC Chargebacks. Is there anything else I should worry about if the buyer pays first?

In your experience, does Paypal seller protection protect you in the event of a Credit card chargeback assuming the purchase is eligible for seller protection? (Ship using tracking/DC, ship to address listed in PayPal, non-gift payment)

Is it possible for a buyer to successfully do a Credit card chargeback for a GIFT payment in PayPal?

Is it possible to confirm that a PayPal buyer used a bank balance instead of a credit card? Or some other trick to be immune to CC chargebacks but still receive PayPal payments?

What's the limitation time period for filing CC chargebacks?

enemy1g
posted November 19, 2014 09:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for enemy1g Click Here to Email enemy1g Send a private message to enemy1g Click to send enemy1g an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View enemy1g's Have/Want ListView enemy1g's Have/Want List
I believe the chargeback period is 45 days? Could be wrong there.

But in general, keep as much proof/evidence of you shipping to said buyer as possible. Take pictures, keep receipts, take screen shots of every transaction you have as a seller (should be all transactions, buyer or seller, but it could be a lot), and just try to keep as much evidence as possible.

From my experience, people are still able to file a chargeback even paid through gift. I sold digital items to someone, both sides were happy, and about 2-3 weeks later, the buyer decided to file a chargeback. I submitted as much proof as I had, and won the case.

If you don't mind shelling out the extra $, get signature confirmation as it will require a signature and should be sufficient proof in the event someone decides to file a chargeback.

Magiclydelcious
posted November 20, 2014 11:44 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Magiclydelcious Click Here to Email Magiclydelcious Send a private message to Magiclydelcious Click to send Magiclydelcious an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Magiclydelcious's Have/Want ListView Magiclydelcious's Have/Want List
I've had quite a few chargebacks and as long as you have proof of delivery paypal will side with you. or they will just pick up the loss.

I have heard of people getting they're money back from a gift payment.

You cannot tell if the buyer paid from a credit card, bank, or paypal balance. But if they pay with a Credit card they will be charged fees and sometimes you can see that when they send you the money.

I believe the refund/return/chargeback process has been bumped up to 180 days.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League