Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Tournament report: Legacy Mill volume 2!

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tournament report: Legacy Mill volume 2!
AEther Storm
posted May 25, 2014 03:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
Alright, welcome all to the next chapter of my tournament reports. This time around it's a recurring deck, by popular demand (from me if not from the rest of you ), it's my Mill deck for the Legacy format!

I'll try to keep the intro brief so we can start with the matches: In '97 I started playing Magic when 5th edition came out. The coolest cards to me then were Armageddon (first rare, hadn't a clue what to do with it), AEther Storm , Battering Ram (why isn't this an equipment?) and Millstone. Especially the latter, because it provided you with an alternative win and because the effect in the set was so rare (milling that is) and who doesn't love the underdog, I immediately set out to try and create a Mill Deck. Well, long story short, it didn't work out, ever. I just wasn't that good, consistent, fast, etc. Dampen Thought.deck came close in draft, but that was about it. Painters' Servant decks, but not in the way I want it. That's just combo to me, and I hate to netdeck. Better to lose with a fun cool deck than to win with someone else's idea is my opinion. That's why I don't make many T8's

But then, since a few years, every set got a good mill card (good is subjective here, I know I know..) and it became a possibility. So I tried my luck on a local Legacy tournament half a year ago or so and, of course some would think, I went 0-4. But, must be said, the first 3 matches were against renowned Legacy decks and I lost to them 1-2, and all matches were close. Some of you might have read my last tournament report about it.
So it gave me courage to tweak and try again. And tonight was the night. Thanks to some tips from dfitzg99 and fluffycow in the Deck Help Forum I put together my final decklist which was this:

Mill:
4 Hedron Crab
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Breaking//Entering
4 Archive Trap
3 Mind Funeral
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Support:
4 Brainstorm
4 Visions from Beyond
2 Chain of Vapor
2 Damnation
4 Snapcaster Mage

Base of Operations:
4 Underground Sea
4 Polluted Delta
1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
3 Swamp
4 Island

The Cavalry:
1 Damnation
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Extirpate
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Wipe Away
1 Pithing Needle
1 Echoing Truth

I got in the car, fueled up (I was almost out of gas. The car that is. Not me.) and took off. A bit nervous I was trying to find a song on the radio to my liking, but I drove all the way continuously clicking the 'next station' button. Turned out the exit to the entrance of the gig was blocked off and I had to go a few extra miles. Didn't help settling the nervousness.

Anyway, entering there it turned out some players had cancelled and 2 were sick or something, and we only had 7 players. (mind you, normally it would be 20-30 players which is fine). Apparantly the time of the gig (Sunday evening) caused a few more absences so they are thinking of switching that. Thus we started with 7 cool guys, yes I can consider myself cool amongst the fellows we were with. 4 rounds of Legacy, and guess who got the first bye?

So I strolled over to the bar to get my 3rd beer and spot some decks. I saw some Jaces here and there, Goyfs, Counterbalance and whatever, I thought. The aim was to win at least 1 full match and not counting the bye.

Finally, after round 1, we could enter the mayhem of my deck, MILLIMBO!

I know, it's a sucky name.. I'm open for suggestions.

Apologies, I don't know the deck names so I'll describe them.
Match 1: Deck with Knight of the Reliquary, Goyf and Punishing Fire
I got a T1 Flooded Strand into an Island and passed the turn. He fetched and did nothing, so far so good. Drew a Hedron Crab, played it, then the Swamp and milled him for 3. He got a Grove of the Burnwillows and a Mox Diamond and passed the turn. I played a land again, Glimpsed him and dropped a Punishing Fire in his graveyard. His next turns where dropping his Knight of the Reliquary which was 12/12 I believe. I kept hoping Damnation would find its way to me but it didn't happen, 3 turns and finished after he burned my Crab away.

Leg 2: Sided in Leylines, Damnations for Archive Traps and 2 Ghost Quarters
I play a T2 Glimpse as he sets a Chalice at 1 on his 2nd turn. I had a Visions of Beyond on hand so that was a slight bummer, but I continued with Glimpse no.2 on turn 3. He fetched and played Confidant, after which I played Breaking on turn 4. Things were looking ok until he got Life from the Loam, dropped Knight of the Reliquary and a Chalice set on 2. My bounce and removal never came.

0-1.
As expected, I thought. Things were looking grim.

Match 2: Counterbalance
We threw 2 dice to determine who could choose, and he got double 6. There ya go I thought, it was going to be one of those nights. But lo and behold, I got double 6 as well! Hell yeah!
I lost the next roll though and he still started
Leg 1: He started with a fetch, Sensei's Divining Top.
I fetched as well and Brainstormed. He did nothing and I played Breaking on my 2nd turn. He dropped Counterbalance on turn 3 and smiled a bit. I just thought I had to throw everything at him to see if something goes through, so I cast my Chain of Vapor on his Counterbalance but got counterred, and my 2nd Breaking got countered as well.
A turn 4 Mind Funeral got countered. At one point he cast a Vendilion Clique but he had no mana open for his Top, so I responded at end of turn to hardcast Archive Trap which got through. Then on my turn I had to nail him with him not able to Top, so I Glimpsed him and it worked. A turn 7 Snapcaster Mage got Countered though, but a Visions of beyond afterwards netted me 3 cards immediately dropping Ashiok that exiled 3. He responded on his next turn by playing Unexpectedly Absent (never saw the card) and that was it, but I topdecked a Glimpse that got through and it was done! The first leg was mine!

Getting more energetic I started on...
Leg 2: He quickly lay down that new 2/1 guy in white that gives a player hexproof (Aegis of the Gods I believe). I spent a few turns Chain of Vaporing/Wipe Awaying him and trying to mill him some of which half got countered. I managed to Extirpate his Jace TMS and Surgical Extract his Force of Wills at one point, but when my Crab got countered and he had Counterbalance it was all over, 1-1. My hand was full of Mill spells sadly, without the Aegis guy I think I could have taken this leg. Oh well.

Leg 3:
Finally, I could start a leg! I got a T2 Glimpse and a T3 Breaking got Forced. I Extirpated his Spell Pierce and his Force of Will, dropping a Crab. Apparantly he kept a 1 land hand plus Top and was scrounging for more but didn't find it. I played a Snapcaster that resolved and actually attacked! I took him down to 8 when he found his 3rd land and his Plains so he could cast that Aegis dude again. I didn't have the answers when we went to time and it became clear this was a draw.

My best result ever! I was actually quite pleased with myself. Though he kept a questionable hand of 1 land and Top, but still.
0-1-1

Last round for me to make this worthwile, let's go! Unfortunately the guy I was playing against sat beside me during my draw so he had seen the whole deck. I knew he played Goyfs but that was it. Here we go!

Match 3: B/G/w Goyf/Bitterblossom/Deathride Shaman/Stoneforge Mystic deck
Leg 1: I got the Turn 1 Crab with 2 fetches in hand and a swamp, plus 2 Breakings and a Glimpse. He got a Turn 2 Hymn to Tourach (gotta love it) and took away a Breaking and a Swamp. I spent the next 2 turns fetching and Breaking/Glimpsing (milling 30) when he Swords to Plowshared my Crab. He got a Deathrite Shaman and a Dark Confidant the next turn when I Mind Funeraled him for 7.
He added a Jitte to the field that the Confidant grabbed and ran towards me, but I Chain of Vapored the bastard and his Shaman that had gotten me down to 12 in the meantime. The extra cards that he had drawn with his Confidant got me into Strike Range and I topdecked an Archive Trap for the win in this leg.

Leg 2:
I got a Hedron Crab but no fetches this time but I had a few Breaking//Enterings to cast. I put down a T3 Ashiok and exiled a Goyf immediately. Always handy a backup plan. He had it tough when he cast Bitterblossom and another Bitterblossom/Lingering Souls the next turn, holding a Sword of Fire and Ice. I kept exiling with Ashiok, playing Damnation the turn before he would cast the Sword wiping 4 tokens. I had bought me some time. My Crab fell victim of course but it was a good call, I think. He spent his next turns making tokens and attacking me (not Ashiok) and dropped his Sword of Fire/Ice. It got close when I casted an Archive Trap and counted his cards in his library. He had 8 left when he swung around and put me on 11. He fetched a land that became crucial as I exiled 3 more cards to put him at 4. On his turn he dealt me 10 damage in total, setting me at 1 life! But due to his Sword of Fire and Ice, he had to draw a card and on my turn I exiled the final 3 cards in his library for... dare I say it....VICTORY!!!

LET IT BE HEARD, MILLING IS VIABLE IN LEGACY!!!

Well, maybe. A little. Very little.
But still! Thus I went 1-1-1 on a commerorative night (not counting the Bye) to come in 3rd place in an official Legacy tournament, LOL. I got 10,- Euro in store credit that I don't need but it was great! Finally a win and definately the chance to win more. The draw was close but with some better sideboard material it can be better.

Findings: Ashiok Rules. As do Glimpse and Breaking, duh. Hedron Crab, I'm not sold on, but the match in which I got double fetch in a row milling 12, that's nice. He has his share in this victory. I need more Damnations main (thanks fluffycow!).

I still hate Chalices. And now that 2/1 give you hexproof guy Aegis something, too.

General conclusion: I can't say this will change the view of people on milling in Legacy. It's still way to early to say anything about that. But this evening, as well as the previous tournament (in which I didn't win a match, yes, see above), makes me dare say that this can be made somewhat viable. A very outsider, rogue deck that people will laugh at but still be afraid of. It can be very, very fast. I haven't found the right mix yet between mill and control but I'm gonna keep searching for it. Next limit will be 2 wins in one tournament. Step by step and the sky is the limit. Or is it your deck total?

Cheers everyone, hope you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed winning that match tonight.

To my Dutch friends (non-Forum members) that I'll share this link with, yes I did my victory dance as promised.

Props to dfitzg88 and fluffycow for the willingness to help a, by some, supposedly lost cause. Props to the guys playing in the tournament being all cool and commenting me on the deck and to dary play it. And props for the radio guy that aired Celebration on the way home, finally taking my finger of that damned button.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by AEther Storm on May 26, 2014]

headumpire
posted May 25, 2014 04:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I dont usually comment on anything but TA posts, but I have thoroughly enjoyed both of your legacy mill reports! Thanks for the great read!

ogre
posted May 25, 2014 05:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ogre Click Here to Email ogre Send a private message to ogre Click to send ogre an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ogre's Have/Want ListView ogre's Have/Want List
I have a similar deck, but run Liliana/countertop/ensnaring bridge. I also have Tabernacle in there too, would like to work in b2b, but need to play test first off to see how it works. Will say in the games that I have played it's been pretty efficient

Good luck across the pond to you,
Jesse

fluffycow
posted May 25, 2014 08:52 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
Glad to hear my suggestions helped! I enjoyed the read and if you ever need any other suggestions, don't hesitate to ask!

AEther Storm
posted May 27, 2014 12:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for AEther Storm Click Here to Email AEther Storm Send a private message to AEther Storm Click to send AEther Storm an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AEther Storm's Have/Want ListView AEther Storm's Have/Want List
Thanks Headumpire, I'm honored by your post!

Hey ogre, I can definately recommend B2B. That is one murder card. I played it when I had my Vintage MUC deck and it can be a total game wrecker for the opponent.
I can see the Ensnaring Bridge/Countertop/Liliana deck, I hope it works for you!

And thanks again fluffycow. Friends of mine suggested to splash white for Path 2 Exile (possible Archive Trap trigger, though with all the fetches around I doubt I'll need it). So maybe I'll look into that.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

mcelraca
posted May 27, 2014 06:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mcelraca Click Here to Email mcelraca Send a private message to mcelraca Click to send mcelraca an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mcelraca's Have/Want ListView mcelraca's Have/Want List
Greetings!

I've read both of your reports and have enjoyed them both a great deal!

Keep on playing and writing!

I'd also like to add I'm a big, big fan of legacy mill. I built my own version of a serious mill deck. I've never gone to any sanctioned tournaments but did have a chance to play it a lot.

CREATURES:
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Hedron Crab
4x Phantasmal Image

SPELLS:
4x Glimpse the Unthinkable
3x Gifts Ungiven (Inspiration would be better)
4x Crop Rotation
4x Miscalculation
4x Remand
3x Unearth
2x Go for the Throat
2x Damnation

LAND:
4x Verdant Catacombs
2x Misty Rainforest
2x Watery Grave
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Breeding Pool
4x Swamp
4x Island
3x Forest
1x Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

You mentioned the crabs didn't really work out well. I built around them more and they were amazing. I recommend trying it out, I had a lot of fun. I never liked having a lot of mill cards. 4x glimpse were always enough.

Also if you look at mill per mana. Hedron Crab is usually around 9:1 if your only utilize fetch lands (without building around it further). This is almost twice as efficient as Glimpse the Unthinkable which is an amazing card at 5:2.

Lastly, Hedron Crab offers instant speed mill. Again, amazing!

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League