Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Do you guys double sleeve your deck? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Do you guys double sleeve your deck?
Skwirlnutz
posted April 07, 2014 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Have/Want ListView Skwirlnutz's Have/Want List
I recently completely foiled out my edh deck and the value is somewhere to $3,500 so I double sleeved it. Although now I'm not much of a fan of how much bigger the deck is. Is it worth double sleeving? Does double sleeving actually do anything? I'm a very clean person and I play on a playmat and do not drink anything without a resealable lid.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Skwirlnutz on April 07, 2014]

chaos021
posted April 07, 2014 08:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
They way Modern prices have gone, I feel like I absolutely should. I was just looking on ebay for perfect fit sleeves when I came over and saw this.

My Sale Thread

jbark
posted April 07, 2014 08:21 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Don't riffle shuffle and your fine.

Skwirlnutz
posted April 07, 2014 08:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Skwirlnutz Click Here to Email Skwirlnutz Send a private message to Skwirlnutz Click to send Skwirlnutz an Instant MessageVisit Skwirlnutz's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Skwirlnutz's Have/Want ListView Skwirlnutz's Have/Want List
I've just heard horror stories of smudges appearing on the tops if cards. How often does that happen? 😐

FlashFrozen
posted April 07, 2014 08:41 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for FlashFrozen Click Here to Email FlashFrozen Send a private message to FlashFrozen Click to send FlashFrozen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View FlashFrozen's Have/Want ListView FlashFrozen's Have/Want List
I've been double sleeving my cube for years and there are two major advantages.

Your cards stay super duper clean. If you keep cards in the same sleeve long enough they will get dirt on them and it's a pain to clean 100+ cards.

Secondly, when a sleeve splits during a mash shuffle it doesnt completely scrape up the entire side of a card. If a sleeve breaks and you shuffle into it, it doesnt scratch the surface in any way.

Outside of those two things I have seen no other advantage. There are still shuffle creases in my cards, but man are they shiny. Every year I just buy a brand new set of sleeves for my cube and I don't even have to change the inside one. Although I'm on my 5th year with the inside sleeve so I might change it even though they arent really dirty.

caquaa
posted April 07, 2014 09:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My cards collect dust or small bits of whatever in the top of the sleeves at times. All it takes is one grain of sand to wear a hole right through the foil. Double sleeving just keeps them in the same condition. The size increase really isn't an issue.

quote:
Originally posted by FlashFrozen:
There are still shuffle creases in my cards, but man are they shiny.

geez, why even bother getting foils and double sleeving if you're just going to ruin your cards by riffle shuffling them?

Swift2210
posted April 07, 2014 11:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Swift2210 Click Here to Email Swift2210 Send a private message to Swift2210 Click to send Swift2210 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Swift2210's Have/Want ListView Swift2210's Have/Want List
You can compress your deck and squeeze out the air pockets stuck in the sleeves to make them a bit smaller.

psrex
posted April 08, 2014 05:35 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
If you're running foils, then I think that double-sleeving is completely worth it. Anything that keeps the foils in good shape by reducing rubbing, even inside the sleeve, is a great precaution. I also think that double-sleeved decks shuffle better than a plain sleeved deck, so I've moved all but my most casual decks to being double sleeved.

CoupDeGrace
posted April 08, 2014 06:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for CoupDeGrace Click Here to Email CoupDeGrace Send a private message to CoupDeGrace Click to send CoupDeGrace an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I double sleeve my EDH and the rest of the deck. You really need prefect size sleeves.

deegeebee
posted April 08, 2014 08:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for deegeebee Send a private message to deegeebee Click to send deegeebee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View deegeebee's Have/Want ListView deegeebee's Have/Want List
As a casual/EDH player, beer spill is a real and ever-present danger. Double-sleeving is essential.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by deegeebee on April 08, 2014]

FlashFrozen
posted April 08, 2014 08:34 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for FlashFrozen Click Here to Email FlashFrozen Send a private message to FlashFrozen Click to send FlashFrozen an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View FlashFrozen's Have/Want ListView FlashFrozen's Have/Want List
quote:
geez, why even bother getting foils and double sleeving if you're just going to ruin your cards by riffle shuffling them?[/B]

Because cards are meant to be played with. I see no reason to collect cards and not share them with everyone. A cube shouldn't be an investment to make money. Its an investment in growing the community.

Deathbydrawing
posted April 08, 2014 08:54 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbydrawing Click Here to Email Deathbydrawing Send a private message to Deathbydrawing Click to send Deathbydrawing an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I have almost a completely foiled Legacy Reanimator deck and I double sleeve it. Here's something you should always consider: if a majority of the cards in your deck are worth $20+, double sleeve your cards no matter what. If they are less:do what you want. Personally, I think it's worth the extra few dollars just to get those perfect fit sleeves to give a little extra protection for whatever you're playing.

AGO
posted April 08, 2014 09:55 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
I had a mono black standard deck a few years back. It was not double sleeved. I played that deck a lot for almost 6 months. When I removed the cards from the sleeves they all had visible dirt on them. Dirt will get between the card and sleeve unless you double sleeve them. Better safe then sorry.

VolatileRig
posted April 08, 2014 01:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for VolatileRig Click Here to Email VolatileRig Send a private message to VolatileRig Click to send VolatileRig an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
My Cube is currently Double sleeved, it has 3 pieces of power, and would like to keep the cards protected. I have also makde some all foil EDH decks where I have thought of double sleeving, but have not, it all depends on what you put into decks and how valuable it is to you, personal preference.

caquaa
posted April 09, 2014 12:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FlashFrozen:
Because cards are meant to be played with. I see no reason to collect cards and not share them with everyone. A cube shouldn't be an investment to make money. Its an investment in growing the community.

my post had nothing to do w/ the fact that cards are played with and everything to do w/ how the cards are handled. Just because you are playing w/ cards, doesn't mean you find the worst possible way to shuffle. Sleeves slide together from the side easily enough.... if not use a new brand of sleeves and stop riffle shuffling cards ><

Kwas
posted April 09, 2014 05:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kwas Click Here to Email Kwas Send a private message to Kwas Click to send Kwas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Kwas's Have/Want ListView Kwas's Have/Want List
Yes.

Something unfortunate can happen, and if you haven't protected your cards, you might fancy yourself in a very unhappy situation.

ryan2754
posted April 09, 2014 07:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryan2754 Click Here to Email ryan2754 Send a private message to ryan2754 Click to send ryan2754 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryan2754's Have/Want ListView ryan2754's Have/Want List
Yes, I double sleeve my EDH decks, because some of them are $1000+ with duals.

(87 behind souladvocate)
1st in Posts in OH-IO
(Passed the legendary ValMTG)

“If Brad Stevens is the future of coaching in college basketball, the sport is in a good place" - Rick Pitin

Esper3k
posted April 09, 2014 08:45 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Esper3k Click Here to Email Esper3k Send a private message to Esper3k Click to send Esper3k an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'm generally a Legacy only player so I double sleeve all my decks. Hell, these days I even store all my foils in Perfect Fit sleeves.

As others have mentioned, it's only like 3-4 cents per card to give it an extra layer of protection.

flam flawless
posted April 12, 2014 07:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for flam flawless Click Here to Email flam flawless Send a private message to flam flawless Click to send flam flawless an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View flam flawless's Have/Want ListView flam flawless's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Esper3k:
I'm generally a Legacy only player so I double sleeve all my decks. Hell, these days I even store all my foils in Perfect Fit sleeves.

As others have mentioned, it's only like 3-4 cents per card to give it an extra layer of protection.

I used to be able to buy yanoman sleeves at will and never considered double sleeving due to how much longer those yanomans were. However, now that they're all but gone, I'm starting to get why double sleeving is so important. Especially while grinding a 8 hour standard tournament with foil shocks and the like. As nice as any sleeve is, dust & shmootz will work it's way down a sleeve & start to cloud cards. And with foils, the value of a little clouding takes from the value much faster than non foils.

jellyfishfanatic
posted April 12, 2014 08:37 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jellyfishfanatic Click Here to Email jellyfishfanatic Send a private message to jellyfishfanatic Click to send jellyfishfanatic an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want ListView jellyfishfanatic's Have/Want List
Does someone have a link for these fitted sleeves? I can't seem to find a store that has them!

Thanks!

psrex
posted April 12, 2014 02:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
These are the two options:

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=uppfdpb#.U0mpPsegxZ8

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=kmcpssb#.U0mpLcegxZ8

Zakman86
posted April 12, 2014 02:10 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Zakman86 Click Here to Email Zakman86 Send a private message to Zakman86 Click to send Zakman86 an Instant MessageVisit Zakman86's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by psrex:
These are the sleeves you want:

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=kmcpssb#.U0mpLcegxZ8

FTFY. Ultra Pro Pro-Fits are awful.

Sovarius
posted April 13, 2014 10:03 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
No one else makes perfect fits? Can the KMCs be found cheaper than 3.30?

quote:
Originally posted by Zakman86:
FTFY. Ultra Pro Pro-Fits are awful.

Ftfy?

And why is ultra pro awful?

I'm so full of questions because I too am about to invest

Building Ghave EDH, please check my threads.

Sales
Wants

AGO
posted April 13, 2014 10:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Ultra pros are thinner. KMC or bust.

caquaa
posted April 13, 2014 02:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AGO:
Ultra pros are thinner. KMC or bust.

isnt this a benefit when trying to fit them inside another sleeve and and the deck be a more manageable size?

I've used both. One of them I've had issues with being too long, but unfortunately I don't know which it was because they were only in the clear packaging by time I went to use them.

The ultra pro perfect fits will fit nicely inside ultra pro sleeves, where I had issues with the KMC fitting. If you use dragon shields, it doesn't matter.

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League