Magic Discussion
  Journey Into Nyx (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 6 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Journey Into Nyx
daner
posted April 05, 2014 01:08 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I'd imagine this is going to start adding cards soon seeing and the pre-release is set for 3 weeks away.....

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/138-journey-into-nyx

keywacat
posted April 06, 2014 02:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
So long as we EDH mages get our legendary G/W enchantement enchantress it will be a good set.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by keywacat on April 06, 2014]

jbark
posted April 06, 2014 06:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List

http://mythicspoiler.com/nyx/

For those that like visuals. The 5 gods artwork is all that's spoiled.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jbark on April 06, 2014]

thror
posted April 06, 2014 07:16 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for thror Send a private message to thror Click to send thror an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:

http://mythicspoiler.com/nyx/

For those that like visuals. The 5 gods artwork is all that's spoiled.

all 2 drops? at least one of these is going to be very good in modern/legacy....

<@Anusien> Pretty sure New Zealanders are the sheep shaggers
<KIP_NZ> Anusien: I'm a kiwi and I've shagged a sheep
<KIP_NZ> we kiwi's like our sheep

[Edited 1 times, lastly by thror on April 06, 2014]

Boston
posted April 06, 2014 07:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Boston Click Here to Email Boston Send a private message to Boston Click to send Boston an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Boston's Have/Want ListView Boston's Have/Want List
I would be shocked if they were all two drops. I suspect it's just "printed" like that to show the colors.

jbark
posted April 06, 2014 07:23 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
As Boston stated they are only printed to show colors. That's how they were for the last set prior to being spoiled.

Sovarius
posted April 06, 2014 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
They will almost certainly be 4 or 5 cmc like the rest of the pantheon.

I am hoping Kruphix is seriously badass. I enjoy playing GWU in EDH.

Building Ghave EDH, please check my threads.

Sales
Wants

skizzikmonger
posted April 06, 2014 09:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
So long as we EDH mages get our legendary G/W enchantement enchantress it will be a good set.

It's not GW or legendary, but you got one

Why can't we get a good, 4cc black sweeper? Why the <bleep> do they have to cost 6?

Edit: RW Aggro is going to be brutal

Iroas, God of Victory
2RW
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to red and white is less
than seven, Iroas isn't a creature.
Creatures you control can't be blocked except by
two or more creatures.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to
attacking creatures you control.
7/4

[Edited 3 times, lastly by skizzikmonger on April 06, 2014]

Volcanon
posted April 06, 2014 10:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skizzikmonger:

Why can't we get a good, 4cc black sweeper? Why the <bleep> do they have to cost 6?

White doesn't even get good 4 mana sweepers anymore. And black only ever got two. Every other black sweeper all the way back to Legends has cost at least 6 or has some stupid drawback.

New enchantress is awesome. She even replaces herself.

Vegas10
posted April 07, 2014 05:20 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
quote:

Edit: RW Aggro is going to be brutal

Iroas, God of Victory
2RW
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to red and white is less
than seven, Iroas isn't a creature.
Creatures you control can't be blocked except by
two or more creatures.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to
attacking creatures you control.
7/4

HuhThis def gives RW Boros Creature Deck some potential, this could be back breaking against some decks.

AGO
posted April 07, 2014 06:02 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
Starfish Tribal receives some love!

jbark
posted April 07, 2014 07:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Another black aggro 2/1. And glorious anthem for any color in an artifact seems decent.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by jbark on April 07, 2014]

oneofchaos
posted April 07, 2014 10:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Am I reading into it wrong, or is Strive just R&D being lazy with not reusing multikicker?

jbark
posted April 07, 2014 10:47 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
If I read correct you need to have a target to pay and play a strive card. Kicker and multi kicker did other abilities that didnt have to target.

Don't quote me on that. Also I don't think its another or in addition to so strive can target the same target multiple times.

oneofchaos
posted April 07, 2014 10:56 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
If I read correct you need to have a target to pay and play a strive card. Kicker and multi kicker did other abilities that didnt have to target.

Don't quote me on that. Also I don't think its another or in addition to so strive can target the same target multiple times.

Can you target the same creature twice? Otherwise I don't see it as being different. Guess we'll wait for the official keyword policy. If that's the case I'd prefer WOTC just use the original keyword so we have a smaller rulebook. No need to add unnecessary complexity to the game that doesn't improve gameplay.

Pail42
posted April 07, 2014 12:00 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Am I reading into it wrong, or is Strive just R&D being lazy with not reusing multikicker?

Overload could have been kicker.
Morbid could have been kicker with "0ay this cost only if a creature has been killed"

Lots of things could have been kicker or multikicker.

psrex
posted April 07, 2014 12:13 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for psrex Click Here to Email psrex Send a private message to psrex Click to send psrex an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
You can't target the same creature more than once. Here's the text for Ajani's Presence:

Ajani's Presence W

Instant

Stive -- Ajani's Presence costs 2W more to cast for each creature beyond the first.

Any number of target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain indestructible until end of turn.

The targeting is only done once and not with any copies of the spell or extra effects, though the mana cost will vary depending on the number of targets.

revenger
posted April 07, 2014 12:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for revenger Click Here to Email revenger Click to send revenger an Instant MessageVisit revenger's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View revenger's Have/Want ListView revenger's Have/Want List
Strive = overcosted weak kicker. Nuff said.

#1 Ref's for Arizona!

I offer 3rd party trading services. Email if interested.

Your 2008, 2010 & 2012 Siskel & Ebert award winner! Your Motl runner-up in My Cousin Vinny & Rolling Stone Award!

oneofchaos
posted April 07, 2014 12:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
Overload could have been kicker.
Morbid could have been kicker with "0ay this cost only if a creature has been killed"

Lots of things could have been kicker or multikicker.

Overload wasn't exactly kicker. It was more like you can do it as a single target or you can target all the things. I'd say that's different enough. Morbid not exactly same either...

Pail42
posted April 07, 2014 01:44 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
Overload wasn't exactly kicker. It was more like you can do it as a single target or you can target all the things. I'd say that's different enough. Morbid not exactly same either...

I'll just defer my argument to the head designer:

quote:
Mark Rosewater http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr283
It's too big of a mechanic. It covers too much space. It does too much. In short, it's too all-encompassing. What started as a "pay more, get more" mechanic has turned into a "pay extra mana to do anything and everything" mechanic. Almost any mechanic that requires paying extra mana (or extra anything) can get shoehorned into the kicker box.

Whenever we go down the path of a mechanic with an extra cost (and trust me this is a huge vein of design space—R&D jokes that 90% of cards are kicker or split cards) I know I have to listen to a new round of choruses of "that's just kicker." And on some technical level, sure. We often could word things as if they were kicker. But that doesn't accomplish the task set before us. The goal of design is not to make everything look exactly like what has come before. If a mechanic explores new mental space, we want to give it its own keyword.

Sovarius
posted April 07, 2014 04:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with anything, but Athreos the BW god's name is very close to Atheos - a greek word meaning without gods, and of course where Atheism is derived from.

quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
I'll just defer my argument to the head designer:

And there's a reason it ended up NOT being kicker. See above.

Building Ghave EDH, please check my threads.

Sales
Wants

skizzikmonger
posted April 07, 2014 09:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for skizzikmonger Click Here to Email skizzikmonger Send a private message to skizzikmonger Click to send skizzikmonger an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Keranos, God of Storms
3UR
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue and red is less than
seven, Keranos isn't a creature.
Reveal the first card you draw on each of your turns.
Whenever you reveal a land card this way draw a
card. Whenever you reveal a nonland card this way,
Keranos deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
6/5

I really want to jam this in Grixis Control. Draw or burn. Love it.

Dantheman9385
posted April 08, 2014 06:15 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Dantheman9385 Click Here to Email Dantheman9385 Send a private message to Dantheman9385 Click to send Dantheman9385 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Dantheman9385's Have/Want ListView Dantheman9385's Have/Want List
I think prophet of kruphix will go really well with the celestial ability giving enchant creatures flash and with untapped lands evey turn

daner
posted April 08, 2014 03:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Keranos, God of Storms
3UR
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue and red is less than
seven, Keranos isn't a creature.
Reveal the first card you draw on each of your turns.
Whenever you reveal a land card this way draw a
card. Whenever you reveal a nonland card this way,
Keranos deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
6/5

I really want to jam this in Grixis Control. Draw or burn. Love it.

Hmmmmm....interesting how it's worded. So if you cycle on your opponents turn you can either draw two or draw and get a lightning strike for free?

Might be a legit main-deackable god.

Pail42
posted April 08, 2014 03:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The way it's worded if you cycle on your opponent's turn nothing happens.

"Reveal the first card you draw on each of your turns."

This topic is 6 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League