Magic Discussion
  Seething Love for SCG (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Seething Love for SCG
Volcanon
posted March 07, 2014 02:46 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
The other post is a bit unfair, so I'll come out and say I like SCG. They are one of the better online stores. I'd totally sell to them if I was in the US and they had a good buy price - they often do on esoteric stuff like P3K junk uncommons. The only reason I don't is prohibitive shipping costs. Some day I hope to be a customer of theirs.

Now that there's no Scrye or whatever, my local store sells singles at the SCG price, except in Canadian dollars w/o exchange rate adjustment and no shipping. And no waiting. So it's still higher than ebay but not that much higher. Awesome. (And SCG tends not to price things highly just because they might be good, so I bought about 40 Prophets of Kruphix at a buck a piece before they went up).

They've also done a lot of work for Legacy (though again, it's getting way too expensive). For those of us who *have* Legacy staples, it's basically free cash in your pocket. And if there's more Legacy players, there's probably also more players in formats I actually play and enjoy, like EDH/Cube/Draft.

Now, there is a bit of possible shenanigans going on regarding bannings (they seem to have been told beforehand, which is in theory illegal), but hey.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Volcanon on March 07, 2014]

hilikuS
posted March 07, 2014 02:50 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
5000 players for GP Richmond X $40 = $200,000

That seems legit.

spike777
posted March 07, 2014 04:32 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for spike777 Click Here to Email spike777 Send a private message to spike777 Click to send spike777 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View spike777's Have/Want ListView spike777's Have/Want List
I'm admittedly not a frequent buyer (read: once), but they do a ton for the legacy tournament scene. If that means prices go up because people are actually playing legacy (read: demand for cards), I'm that much happier.

Also, nothing like this scenario would happen buying from them: I just bought 3 Wurmcoil engine from a seller off TCG Player with quite a bit of feedback. I received 3 prerelease promos instead of set non-foils. Now I have to fight with them about it. With SCG, it likely would never have even happened in the first place, and if it did, they'd probably just drop 3 set non-foils in the mail and tell me to keep the others. Now that's a customer service business model I can support.

dwiz
posted March 07, 2014 06:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by spike777:
I'm admittedly not a frequent buyer (read: once), but they do a ton for the legacy tournament scene. If that means prices go up because people are actually playing legacy (read: demand for cards), I'm that much happier.

Also, nothing like this scenario would happen buying from them: I just bought 3 Wurmcoil engine from a seller off TCG Player with quite a bit of feedback. I received 3 prerelease promos instead of set non-foils. Now I have to fight with them about it. With SCG, it likely would never have even happened in the first place, and if it did, they'd probably just drop 3 set non-foils in the mail and tell me to keep the others. Now that's a customer service business model I can support.

For every made up scenario like the one you proposed, 20 people can give real scenarios where the cards they purchased went up in price and SCG cancelled their order so they didn't lose money.

junichi
posted March 07, 2014 07:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for junichi Click Here to Email junichi Send a private message to junichi Click to send junichi an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View junichi's Have/Want ListView junichi's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
For every made up scenario like the one you proposed, 20 people can give real scenarios where the cards they purchased went up in price and SCG cancelled their order so they didn't lose money.

Thanks for the fact.

"The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ."
—Keldon soldier

paragondave
posted March 07, 2014 08:06 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:

Wrong thread. This is the love SCG thread. See the hate SCG thread.

Volcanon
posted March 07, 2014 08:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's owner also has an alliterative name. How can you not like that?

KIP_NZ
posted March 07, 2014 10:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm 100% calling you out on this, stump email proof or be dismissed as an idiot. I know 50+ order history's including me that swing the other way. SCG deliver when you order pay for a card, that's why many of us like them.
I bought 2 Bitterblossoms at $20 after the unbanning (their last 2), LemonM bought 35 foil snapcasters as they were spiking and both orders were delivered as promised.

Sovarius
posted March 08, 2014 06:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Sovarius Click Here to Email Sovarius Send a private message to Sovarius Click to send Sovarius an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Sovarius's Trade Auction or SaleView Sovarius's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by spike777:
they'd probably just drop 3 set non-foils in the mail and tell me to keep the others. Now that's a customer service business model I can support.

They would just GIVE you $60 worth of cards for a simple mistake like that? (Or $90 if you go by SCG values, lol)
How can you know something like that if you only ordered from them once?

quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
I bought 2 Bitterblossoms at $20 after the unbanning (their last 2), LemonM bought 35 foil snapcasters as they were spiking and both orders were delivered as promised.

Weren't the values of Blossom spiking before the unbanning? Namely, SCG almost pretty obviously knew it was about to be unbanned? I don't understand how they would have been $20 AFTER the unbanning?

Also you are a crazy person if you think they didn't pull any stock to sell at higher prices a few short days later.

If i were a conspiracy theorist i would guess they wanted you to think you got the last two at their low price honorably, so you might defend them on an internet forum later

Bagbokk
posted March 08, 2014 08:41 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Bagbokk Click Here to Email Bagbokk Send a private message to Bagbokk Click to send Bagbokk an Instant MessageVisit Bagbokk's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Bagbokk's Have/Want ListView Bagbokk's Have/Want List
It's entirely possible that SCG doesn't list every copy of a card they have just in case a huge explosion happens, but I don't see how that changes anything. I think they honor orders because they're large enough to not care about small "losses" while other stores balks at losing $200-300 because that amount matters to them. But doesn't change the fact that they honor orders and are consistently good about things. Their buylist prices are usually crap (other than for obscure stuff) but their buyers at events are also really nice about stuff.

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Bagbokk on March 08, 2014]

Tha Gunslinga
posted March 08, 2014 10:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:

SCG doesn't cancel sales like that, as far as I know. Pretty much all the other stores do.

caquaa
posted March 08, 2014 11:09 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Sovarius:
Weren't the values of Blossom spiking before the unbanning? Namely, SCG almost pretty obviously knew it was about to be unbanned? I don't understand how they would have been $20 AFTER the unbanning?

yah, I'd certainly need some actual proof. While I know SCG will deliver if you've paid, I also know bitterblossom was well over $20 before the announcement.... I went shopping a few hours prior and couldn't find anything reasonable.

psyduck_dude12
posted March 08, 2014 11:21 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for psyduck_dude12 Click Here to Email psyduck_dude12 Send a private message to psyduck_dude12 Click to send psyduck_dude12 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View psyduck_dude12's Have/Want ListView psyduck_dude12's Have/Want List
I can vouch for them always shipping:

Pyromancer ascension bout at 3.49 restocked at 10 (8 copies)
Restoration angel 3.49 restocked at 6.99 (12 copies)
Birthing pod 9.99 restocked at 14.99 (8 copies)

If their prices are reasonably close to the bottom I would prefer to buy from them (and CFB). I don't have to worry about getting cancelled or cards not arriving in the right condition (happened only once at CFB and the gave me the difference between nm and sp on a 100$ card)

Don't get me wrong I'm not a 100% loyal to any of them but on a 100$ order if the cards are .10 more I'd rather buy from one of the big stores

[Edited 2 times, lastly by psyduck_dude12 on March 08, 2014]

KIP_NZ
posted March 08, 2014 02:59 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:

Also you are a crazy person if you think they didn't pull any stock to sell at higher prices a few short days later.

If i were a conspiracy theorist i would guess they wanted you to think you got the last two at their low price honorably, so you might defend them on an internet forum later

Yes on other sites the prices of BB had risen a day or 2 before the announcement, SCG had 20+ listed for $20 for a week before, when the announcement happened they sold out in 20 minutes. coolio & I were chatting in MOTL as it happened and watched the stock levels dropping, I jumped on the last couple cause I might actually want them for other things. SCG did restock some the next day at a higher price which also sold through in a matter of minutes.

jbark
posted March 08, 2014 03:30 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Even if SCG doesn't catch on to new influxes in values they still make money. Keep in mind they still bought the cards much lower. If they sell out at $20 after buying at $10. And then the value goes to $40 theyd gladly buy at $20 and sell at $40. They are sometimes too big to catch changes that happen in hours. But they do honor almost all sales which is exceptional.

jb231
posted March 08, 2014 11:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jb231 Click Here to Email jb231 Send a private message to jb231 Click to send jb231 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jb231's Have/Want ListView jb231's Have/Want List
I buy from them from time to time and they've always honored my deals so far. I've noticed with some hot ticket cards they'll only list like maybe 8 copies of that card in stock to ensure they don't miss the boat and get bought out. I remember buying a set of Liliana of the Veil recently for 45$/each and like an hour after I bought them they restocked right back to 45/each at only 4 copies. I bought another set and they did the same thing again only this time they raised the price up (and were happy enough to honor the price I got them at before the increase).

WeedIan
posted March 09, 2014 04:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for WeedIan Click Here to Email WeedIan Send a private message to WeedIan Click to send WeedIan an Instant MessageVisit WeedIan's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I like StarCity Games, they make sure magic have consistent pricing and they nearly always have anything available that isn't a misprint.

They also have reasonable shipping to Canada

9th in posts on MOTL
5th in Refs in Ontario
Pushing to get to top 100 in MOTL Refs

ryanghall
posted March 09, 2014 11:59 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
They have reasonable shipping as long as you don't go over a certain amount, I think it's around $150. If you do, you get dinged with border fees that are absolute insanity.

Default User
posted March 10, 2014 03:17 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Default User Click Here to Email Default User Send a private message to Default User Click to send Default User an Instant MessageVisit Default User's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
SCG might have cancelled something five or six years back, but for the last several years they have been one of the best and most reliable sellers around.

If SCG has cards on sale on some price, they will respect the price and ship them. Or for some reason SCG is the only store whose buyers who get screwed don't come out and complain.

I personally know that they will go the extra mail to get the cards the cutomers ask and will try to fix all problems that crop up.

And I did buy them out of alpha and beta duals 2009, when they were just beginning to jump. So nm alpha Tropicals for 220$, SP Tundras for 200$ and non-blue ones from 120-160$. All sent out with no hesitation. Shipping those cards got them their profit from the buy-in price, but I still like the way they act.

Kwas
posted March 10, 2014 03:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Kwas Click Here to Email Kwas Send a private message to Kwas Click to send Kwas an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Kwas's Have/Want ListView Kwas's Have/Want List
I am 100% certain, that if SCG started to cancel orders because cards spike, they'd be out of business in an instant.

hilikuS
posted March 10, 2014 07:57 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for hilikuS Click Here to Email hilikuS Send a private message to hilikuS Click to send hilikuS an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View hilikuS's Trade Auction or SaleView hilikuS's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Kwas:
I am 100% certain, that if SCG started to cancel orders because cards spike, they'd be out of business in an instant.

I dunno about all that. A lot other sites have similar prices, are seemingly less efficient from what others say about SCG's business model, and do cancel orders based on price spikes. They are alive and kicking too.

MTG Fanatic is still a thing, right?

[Edited 1 times, lastly by hilikuS on March 10, 2014]

walkerdog
posted March 10, 2014 08:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog Click Here to Email walkerdog Send a private message to walkerdog Click to send walkerdog an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View walkerdog's Have/Want ListView walkerdog's Have/Want List
quote:
They would just GIVE you $60 worth of cards for a simple mistake like that? (Or $90 if you go by SCG values, lol)
How can you know something like that if you only ordered from them once?

You do not pay attention to BB prices except when it's convenient then. BB spiked before almost every B/R announcement in anticipation that it would occur. I do think SCG gets inside info at times. I don't think this is good evidence of them getting inside info (and previously, their inside info was often based on what their team was playing, not on Wizards-reliant information).

fluffycow
posted March 10, 2014 09:19 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for fluffycow Click Here to Email fluffycow Send a private message to fluffycow Click to send fluffycow an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View fluffycow's Have/Want ListView fluffycow's Have/Want List
SCG is one of the best sites and what they have done for this game is amazing. I have bought thousands of dollars from them and I will continue to do so. Like others have said, their customer service is top notch, they have incredible delivery time and if you have a problem, they will try their best to make sure you are satisfied.

Anyone who I have met in person that believes SCG is an evil engine of horribleness is because of 2 mains reasons:
1. they made a mistake of selling cards too early and now regret it
2. they wanted to buy a card but waited too long and is now too high for them to get

Both of these problems can be solved by having more disposable income, and no one should realistically blame SCG for that

sdarmst107
posted March 10, 2014 01:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sdarmst107 Click Here to Email sdarmst107 Send a private message to sdarmst107 Click to send sdarmst107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sdarmst107's Have/Want ListView sdarmst107's Have/Want List
supply and demand is a fickle thing, scg i think is fair for the most part, then again i dont usually go for legacy staples as they are outside my price range, and make me pine for a simpler time when i didnt have to worry about bills...lol

also, can i make a "Seething IMPASSIVENESS for SCG" thread?:P

daner
posted March 10, 2014 07:55 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for daner Click Here to Email daner Send a private message to daner Click to send daner an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KIP_NZ:
LemonM bought 35 foil snapcasters as they were spiking and both orders were delivered as promised.

I'd love to see proof of this order going through....bc I've been denied the purchase of more than 4x of a card from their website before.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League