Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Pack mapping yes, but box mapping?

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Pack mapping yes, but box mapping?
humbleacolyte
posted February 12, 2014 11:24 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for humbleacolyte Click Here to Email humbleacolyte Send a private message to humbleacolyte Click to send humbleacolyte an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View humbleacolyte's Have/Want ListView humbleacolyte's Have/Want List
I know the techniques behind pack mapping, and while not everyone does it, I know there are plenty of dealers that do.

What I would like to know, if I get factory sealed booster boxes...is there any known method of mapping those as well? Or can I safely buy them (assuming they have a true factory seal intact) and expect that the packs inside them haven't been mapped?

Thoughts?

Lord Crovax
posted February 12, 2014 12:17 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Crovax Click Here to Email Lord Crovax Send a private message to Lord Crovax Click to send Lord Crovax an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Why would you even map cases? Seems like it would defeat the purpose of box mapping to get the chase cards, if you skip whole boxes...

humbleacolyte
posted February 12, 2014 12:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for humbleacolyte Click Here to Email humbleacolyte Send a private message to humbleacolyte Click to send humbleacolyte an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View humbleacolyte's Have/Want ListView humbleacolyte's Have/Want List
Not sure why anyone would, specifically, I just want to know if its possible. More so, if I get a sealed booster box, does that give me the best chance at having the contents as random as anything else out there?

dfitzg88
posted February 12, 2014 12:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dfitzg88 Click Here to Email dfitzg88 Send a private message to dfitzg88 Click to send dfitzg88 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humbleacolyte:
I know the techniques behind pack mapping, and while not everyone does it, I know there are plenty of dealers that do.

What I would like to know, if I get factory sealed booster boxes...is there any known method of mapping those as well? Or can I safely buy them (assuming they have a true factory seal intact) and expect that the packs inside them haven't been mapped?

Thoughts?

Case mapping is feasible. People have figured out a general order the boxes come in for previous sets, so you just need to open 1-2 boxes to figure out what's in your case (generally). This, however, is not a huge issue from distributors opening huge numbers of cases AND selling booster boxes fresh from the manufacturer. It's only an issue after the set is mapped, and only if you're buying boxes from a second hand seller.

mm1983
posted February 16, 2014 11:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
I've noticed certain patterns in booster cases/boxes. If you open booster packs from left side of box to right side of the box and then right side of the box to left side of the box, in some boxes there is a spot in the box where you can open 2 mythic rares in back to back booster packs. In booster box cases it has to do with packaging and production from wizards but I've noticed in a whole case from numberous sets opening duplicates of foil rares and every now and then 3 of the same foil rare and some boxes having the same mythics as other boxes in the case. Foils are supposed to be completely random and they don't really count towards the mythic count of a box if you opened a foil mythic out of a box.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League