Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Another I'm selling my son's collection on ebay guy (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Another I'm selling my son's collection on ebay guy
TheGambler
posted February 08, 2014 05:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheGambler Click Here to Email TheGambler Send a private message to TheGambler Click to send TheGambler an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TheGambler's Have/Want ListView TheGambler's Have/Want List
Lol, I know we see this all the time but it still cracks me up. The "naïve parent", who knows nothing about this magical gathering, selling their "son's" collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Rare-Magic-the-Gathering-Card-Collection-Beta-Unlimited-Alpha-Boxes-/281258894422?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item417c562456

I wonder if he has a rookie timetwister. I'd be all over that!

SolonJhee
posted February 08, 2014 07:47 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for SolonJhee Click Here to Email SolonJhee Send a private message to SolonJhee Click to send SolonJhee an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Even better is the question that he "answered". He picks a bunch of random good cards out of all the labeled boxes. Cracks me up that people bite on this.

keywacat
posted February 08, 2014 10:56 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for keywacat Click Here to Email keywacat Send a private message to keywacat Click to send keywacat an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View keywacat's Have/Want ListView keywacat's Have/Want List
'TheGambler' isn't taking a chance on it?

JayC
posted February 08, 2014 11:27 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
lol... I can't stop laughing at the rookie card comment. Get real.

jaromirjagr
posted February 09, 2014 01:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jaromirjagr's Have/Want ListView jaromirjagr's Have/Want List
I would almost take a chance on this one.Ebay buyer protection and I could always file a claim with paypal if I didn't get the cards.Its also in Ontario where this John Strickland hails from.What I find fishy is that he claims that his family is moving and there going to have more items up for sale and this is the only item.Also everyone has pictures on ebay.Why would he have a mtg logo?

Volcanon
posted February 09, 2014 01:51 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Volcanon Click Here to Email Volcanon Send a private message to Volcanon Click to send Volcanon an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jaromirjagr:
I would almost take a chance on this one.Ebay buyer protection and I could always file a claim with paypal if I didn't get the cards.Its also in Ontario where this John Strickland hails from.What I find fishy is that he claims that his family is moving and there going to have more items up for sale and this is the only item.Also everyone has pictures on ebay.Why would he have a mtg logo?

If somebody drains their paypal before you file a claim you don't get your money back, tho.

caquaa
posted February 09, 2014 04:12 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for caquaa Click Here to Email caquaa Send a private message to caquaa Click to send caquaa an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View caquaa's Trade Auction or SaleView caquaa's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Volcanon:
If somebody drains their paypal before you file a claim you don't get your money back, tho.

thats not the case any more, paypal covders it. Also, they don't release the funds for something like 20 days until you have a reasonable seller rating. You need something like 50 sales to have instant access to your money now, which was really annoying for a while for me.

JayC
posted February 09, 2014 07:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
This is bull****, there's no images for a reason. Don't play with fire.

coolio
posted February 09, 2014 07:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for coolio Click Here to Email coolio Send a private message to coolio Click to send coolio an Instant MessageVisit coolio's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:
This is bull****, there's no images for a reason. Don't play with fire.

I just asked for them to provide pictures

©

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
-Seneca the Younger

jbark
posted February 09, 2014 10:36 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
i have too. i even went to say that pics could be the difference from $1000 or $20000. and that people wont believe the "dont know anything" if there is no proof

scipio624
posted February 09, 2014 10:50 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for scipio624 Click Here to Email scipio624 Send a private message to scipio624 Click to send scipio624 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I think any person who didn't know the price of these cards and just wanted to get a few dollars would have killed the auction when it got to almost a grand, sight unseen, with over 3 days to go and done a little research to see what they really had in their hands. Once all the questions started rolling in I would think a non ripper would have done at least 15 minutes of google work and realized that he may be sitting on a pot of gold. I also find it funny that of all the questions he received (when i just checked it said there were 22 inquiries made) that the seller only posted 1. Why not post them all and avoid all the redundant questions, like can you take a pic of some of the cards, boxes, ect... I'm all for wishing that this may actually be a real, "I found these thousands of alpha/beta magic rookie cards I know nothing about, do you want them?", but no, too jaded to believe. If something sounds too good to be true, it is.

jbark
posted February 09, 2014 11:48 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Also delivery says April 1st. That's crazy late. Dunno why so late but its conviently right after the 30 day eBay buyer protection...

TheGambler
posted February 09, 2014 12:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for TheGambler Click Here to Email TheGambler Send a private message to TheGambler Click to send TheGambler an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View TheGambler's Have/Want ListView TheGambler's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by keywacat:
'TheGambler' isn't taking a chance on it?

Lol, TheGambler only takes well calculated risks. So I guess technically I'm not that much of a gambler

I could be wrong but I think the seller has done a great job to make sure he hasn't done anything that would warrant a refund once the sale is made. As long as the stated cards are there and the number of cards are there it isn't fraudulent. And if he states he doesn't take refunds, then the buyer has no case IMO. I'm not 100% familiar with Paypal's stance on that though.

The brilliance here is that he does name a few cards from each box, but with his "minimal knowledge" of MTG how would he truly know if everything in the alpha box was actually alpha. For instance: He says there's a Sol Ring in the "Alpha Box", but that doesn't mean it's actually alpha. So instead of being a $100+ card it could just be a beat up revised ($8.00 card) card. I have boxes of MTG cards labeled 1/4" x 3" Hex Bolts, doesn't mean you'll find special edition MTG hex bolts in there .

Teferi Planeswalker
posted February 09, 2014 12:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Teferi Planeswalker Click Here to Email Teferi Planeswalker Send a private message to Teferi Planeswalker Click to send Teferi Planeswalker an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want ListView Teferi Planeswalker's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by TheGambler:
The brilliance here is that he does name a few cards from each box, but with his "minimal knowledge" of MTG how would he truly know if everything in the alpha box was actually alpha. For instance: He says there's a Sol Ring in the "Alpha Box", but that doesn't mean it's actually alpha. So instead of being a $100+ card it could just be a beat up revised ($8.00 card) card. I have boxes of MTG cards labeled 1/4" x 3" Hex Bolts, doesn't mean you'll find special edition MTG hex bolts in there .

I'm thinking the same thing. These auctions always teach me some new things about what to look out for.

JayC
posted February 09, 2014 06:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for JayC Click Here to Email JayC Click to send JayC an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coolio:
I just asked for them to provide pictures

©

Any luck? I tried today, as well, no response just yet.

paragondave
posted February 09, 2014 09:18 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by JayC:
Any luck? I tried today, as well, no response just yet.

someone will have lots of luck with this...all of it bad.

paragondave
posted February 09, 2014 09:22 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:
Also delivery says April 1st. That's crazy late. Dunno why so late but its conviently right after the 30 day eBay buyer protection...

bingo.

ryanghall
posted February 10, 2014 07:26 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for ryanghall Click Here to Email ryanghall Send a private message to ryanghall Click to send ryanghall an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View ryanghall's Have/Want ListView ryanghall's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jaromirjagr:
.Its also in Ontario where this John Strickland hails from.

Dumb.

A1phaMale
posted February 10, 2014 08:00 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for A1phaMale Click Here to Email A1phaMale Send a private message to A1phaMale Click to send A1phaMale an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View A1phaMale's Have/Want ListView A1phaMale's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by TheGambler:

This ^^^. The liklihood of successfully filing and winning a claim for receiving a bunch of revised cards in boxes labeled alpha/beta is low, however, Ebay resolution representatives are like booster packs; sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one. From experience, I have been on the receiving end of a bad resolution after three Ebay reps told me I should have done "B" which violates Ebay policy, after I did "A" which complied with Ebay policy. It took a fourth (second supervisor) to set the record straight.

marvinc023
posted February 10, 2014 09:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for marvinc023 Click Here to Email marvinc023 Send a private message to marvinc023 Click to send marvinc023 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View marvinc023's Have/Want ListView marvinc023's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by jbark:

April 1st is April Fools Day.

DeBasilisk
posted February 11, 2014 09:08 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for DeBasilisk Send a private message to DeBasilisk Click to send DeBasilisk an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Come one guys, he has a feedback rating of six! And this is his only auction too! You know that's a good sign!

sdarmst107
posted February 12, 2014 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for sdarmst107 Click Here to Email sdarmst107 Send a private message to sdarmst107 Click to send sdarmst107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View sdarmst107's Have/Want ListView sdarmst107's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by ryanghall:
Dumb.

agreed. generalizations like this are just wrong.

GarrettO23
posted February 12, 2014 06:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for GarrettO23 Click Here to Email GarrettO23 Send a private message to GarrettO23 Click to send GarrettO23 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View GarrettO23's Have/Want ListView GarrettO23's Have/Want List
Anyone who buys this is stupid. If u read the description he never says there are alpha or beta cards in it. He said the boxes have alpha and beta written on them. Whoever is losing 2k on this is a moron.

paragondave
posted February 12, 2014 09:03 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by GarrettO23:
Anyone who buys this is stupid. If u read the description he never says there are alpha or beta cards in it. He said the boxes have alpha and beta written on them. Whoever is losing 2k on this is a moron.

+1

jaromirjagr
posted February 12, 2014 11:12 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for jaromirjagr Click Here to Email jaromirjagr Send a private message to jaromirjagr Click to send jaromirjagr an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jaromirjagr's Have/Want ListView jaromirjagr's Have/Want List
closer to 3 grand.Now to wait for the disappointment.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League