Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Getting back into the game...

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Getting back into the game...
Alionsmane
posted February 06, 2014 07:42 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Alionsmane Click Here to Email Alionsmane Send a private message to Alionsmane Click to send Alionsmane an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
and I have enough money where I can purchase a Standard (Type 2?) and Modern (Extended?) deck, but I don't know where to start. With all the new sets and cards to go over I am at a lose. I do know that I always enjoyed Control in Standard and back in the day enjoyed Dredge in Modern. Anyone have some advice as to what decks I might enjoy in each format? Any help would be awesome!

Thanks.

chaos021
posted February 06, 2014 08:15 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Click Here to Email chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
I suggest U/W or Esper Control for Standard. I don't know enough about Modern to make a suggestion.

My Sale Thread

wayne
posted February 07, 2014 01:53 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for wayne Click Here to Email wayne Send a private message to wayne Click to send wayne an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View wayne's Have/Want ListView wayne's Have/Want List
UW or Esper for standard. Wait for the Modern metagame to settle before deciding.

headumpire
posted February 07, 2014 06:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for headumpire Click Here to Email headumpire Send a private message to headumpire Click to send headumpire an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
I would play modern. Modern cards go up in value.

Standard cards go ALL OVER in value. And if you dont sell out long enough before rotation, you will lose ALOT of money.

The startup costs for standard are lower, but the volatility is higher. The startup costs for modern are higher, but your deck WILL APPRECIATE.

Thats the financial perspective, but it really depends on what your buddies/card shop plays!

bkohlman
posted February 07, 2014 06:11 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for bkohlman Click Here to Email bkohlman Send a private message to bkohlman Click to send bkohlman an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View bkohlman's Have/Want ListView bkohlman's Have/Want List
Be careful with modern. Wotc is essentially turning it into a rotating format with much more expensive cards. The deck you spend a grand on today might not be playable after the next b&r announcement.

AGO
posted February 07, 2014 08:38 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for AGO Click Here to Email AGO Send a private message to AGO Click to send AGO an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View AGO's Trade Auction or SaleView AGO's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by bkohlman:
Be careful with modern. Wotc is essentially turning it into a rotating format with much more expensive cards. The deck you spend a grand on today might not be playable after the next b&r announcement.

Baloney! Buy into modern and don't look back. Banning one card didn't kill Jund. If they can survive without Blood braid or Death Rite then the damn deck was to strong to begin with.

KIP_NZ
posted February 07, 2014 12:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for KIP_NZ Send a private message to KIP_NZ Click to send KIP_NZ an Instant MessageVisit KIP_NZ's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Or just play legacy and vintage & ignore the 3 times a year standard upheaval and once a year modern upheaval

Pail42
posted February 07, 2014 12:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bkohlman:

Same thing happens in Legacy, just less often.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League