Click Here!

Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Proxy Fakes Hitting Ebay

profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!   next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Proxy Fakes Hitting Ebay
kendawg13
posted February 06, 2014 11:31 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
Looks like some higher quality proxies are hitting Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/smithproxies/m.html?item=291074633213&pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item43c5666dfd&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

stab107
posted February 07, 2014 02:30 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
So, is this an advertisement for your own business? While Smith is a fairly common name it seems a suspicious coincidence that the email in your profile happens to contain the name Smith and the name of the seller on ebay is smithsproxies.

jbark
posted February 07, 2014 02:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for jbark Click Here to Email jbark Send a private message to jbark Click to send jbark an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View jbark's Have/Want ListView jbark's Have/Want List
Coincidence... the elspeths look pretty obvious.

paragondave
posted February 07, 2014 03:27 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
Isn't linking to your own ebay auctions a no-no?

dwiz
posted February 07, 2014 04:04 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
Isn't linking to your own ebay auctions a no-no?

Haha, I'm sure someone selling blatant fakes and posting about it here has the main concern of breaking motl rules on their mind

Vegas10
posted February 07, 2014 05:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Vegas10's Have/Want ListView Vegas10's Have/Want List
Also don't these defintily infringe on WOTC's Copyright, I'm not even sure these are legal to sell.

stab107
posted February 07, 2014 05:58 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for stab107 Click Here to Email stab107 Send a private message to stab107 Click to send stab107 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View stab107's Have/Want ListView stab107's Have/Want List
Looks like someone at ebay got wind of this and the auctions were removed.

Pail42
posted February 07, 2014 06:32 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Pail42 Send a private message to Pail42 Click to send Pail42 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
Also don't these defintily infringe on WOTC's Copyright, I'm not even sure these are legal to sell.

If they don't infringe on copyright(or other things like trademark) then they are legal to sell.

PS, names and ability text are copyrighted so it's illegal to sell worthwhile proxies of most cards.

Tha Gunslinga
posted February 07, 2014 07:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or SaleView Tha Gunslinga's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by Pail42:
If they don't infringe on copyright(or other things like trademark) then they are legal to sell.

PS, names and ability text are copyrighted so it's illegal to sell worthwhile proxies of most cards.

The only proxies that don't infringe are basic lands with sharpied names, pretty much. Anything that looks remotely like a normal card infringes.

oneofchaos
posted February 07, 2014 08:31 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for oneofchaos Click Here to Email oneofchaos Send a private message to oneofchaos Click to send oneofchaos an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tha Gunslinga:
The only proxies that don't infringe are basic lands with sharpied names, pretty much. Anything that looks remotely like a normal card infringes.

What about those Gamingetc proxies?

harbingerofthevoid
posted February 07, 2014 08:39 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for harbingerofthevoid Click Here to Email harbingerofthevoid Send a private message to harbingerofthevoid Click to send harbingerofthevoid an Instant MessageVisit harbingerofthevoid's Homepage  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want ListView harbingerofthevoid's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by oneofchaos:
What about those Gamingetc proxies?

They don't contain the actual card name, tap symbol or "tap...", "mana" or mana symbols. They also have a very different card back. "Power Nine" to my knowledge, is not copyrighted. So it might come down to a "yeah, we all know what you are trying to represent but, you didn't use anything copyrighted or trademarked in doing so, so..."

kendawg13
posted February 07, 2014 08:46 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by stab107:
So, is this an advertisement for your own business? While Smith is a fairly common name it seems a suspicious coiniscidence that the email in your profile happens to contain the name Smith and the name of the seller on ebay is smithsproxies.

I'm not stupid enough to name it after myself if I were to rip anyone off. And yes the 1st most common last name in the US.
This is my Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/ken_dawg13

kendawg13
posted February 07, 2014 08:49 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
I see the seller removed their items, I contacted EBay about the copyright issue....seems like they took care of it.

paragondave
posted February 07, 2014 09:28 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by kendawg13:
I see the seller removed their items, I contacted EBay about the copyright issue....seems like they took care of it.

lol, you must have done it right after I did! Mr. Smith!!!

[Edited 1 times, lastly by paragondave on February 07, 2014]

kendawg13
posted February 07, 2014 10:40 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
Yeah I contacted them last night when I posted this because I was looking for the price on a set of Arid Mesas and theirs said $40 so I thought I'm jumping all over that! I thought lets see what else this cat has to offer....Underground Seas for $40 a playset...I think not.

dwiz
posted February 07, 2014 07:35 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for dwiz Click Here to Email dwiz Send a private message to dwiz Click to send dwiz an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View dwiz's Trade Auction or SaleView dwiz's Trade Auction or Sale
quote:
Originally posted by kendawg13:
Yeah I contacted them last night when I posted this because I was looking for the price on a set of Arid Mesas and theirs said $40 so I thought I'm jumping all over that! I thought lets see what else this cat has to offer....Underground Seas for $40 a playset...I think not.

Dude still made $600 before his listings got pulled. Not bad. He'll just make another throwaway name and do it again.

kendawg13
posted February 07, 2014 08:51 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for kendawg13 Click Here to Email kendawg13 Send a private message to kendawg13 Click to send kendawg13 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View kendawg13's Have/Want ListView kendawg13's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by dwiz:
Dude still made $600 before his listings got pulled. Not bad. He'll just make another throwaway name and do it again.

Seriously, didn't know he actually sold any. Just sad...I understand that prices are a crazy high for these cards and it encourages this type of counterfeiting but it just makes everyone just be more scrupulous on deals (not that that is a bad thing) just sucks having to worry if your good deal is too good.

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League